Infinium Ls / Detecting Gold Question

Oregon Jim

IMG_2249_1.JPG

Well, it all depends - it depends how well you know the Infinium and it's tones. You MUST and I mean MUST learn to hunt with a steady Thold. Learning the tones is critical, along with G ballance and steady Thold. If you can accomplish these things, then, you have to listen to any small break (whisper) in the Thold. Pay attention to the "whispers" especially if you are on good proven ground. That's where your small gold will begin to appear, in the whispers.

The 8 inch mono, for me, is the only way to go with the Infinium. Also, a conversion to a straight shaft with under the cuff mounting of the control box is a must if you want use the Infinium for long hunts. (yes, the stock shaft is a joke, especially with the 10x14 coil) Go to findmall under Infinium for full description of the conversion to straight shaft. You won't regret the effort.

I regret the bad press the Infinium received on it's release because of the bad build and the coil/connector  problems it had. I stuck with it and eventually learned to love it, after much struggle and making the mods I cannot go hunting without it.

Not only is it a good gold machine, it literally kicks butt in the relic world getting more depth (than most machines) and the ability to hunt on hotter ground.

If you want "tiny" go with a Gold Bug or GMT - you will, however, lose a lot of depth compared to the Infinium.

• Like 1

Hi Oregon Jim,

I have found 1.6 oz's of gold nuggets along the Klamath with just my Infinium from 2008-2011. They are there, if I left any, lol. Got to swing it for many hours a day to cover as much ground as possible to hit some nuggets. As well as a lot of research. I kinda slowed down on detecting since I find so much more gold with my 6" dredge. Usually a detecting trip to the gold fields does not pay for gas like dredging does. I now just consider it a relic hunting trip that I might find a gold nugget here and there. 

• Like 1

Alan, I have seen pictures of your findings and your dredging results... you greedy rascal! Leave a few crumbs for the rest of us.

I thank you all again for your advice!

I have deleted the rest of this conversation... I seem to have said something that was better left unspoken for now...

Sorry!

• Like 1

Hello Beardog,

Yes, I have heard about the motorized equipment ban, and as of this moment I have not made any significant underwater plans, but air hose is reasonably cheap, and unlike a water pump it is not subject to head pressure. Three or four hundred feet of air hose could serve almost like a spare air tank. This may be the dumbest remark ever posted on this forum, but I "ain't no wizard" when it comes to intelligence.

We have a while before summer, so we will see what happens...

Anyway, thank you for the warning! I will keep in close contact with Dave and Rich before doing anything that might affect the club.

***** a note from the 49er forum says my idea is against the rules.... I am still scheming!  Thanks again!

OKAY... again I deleted a little of my post so that nobody is unhappy. I'd hate to post something dumb that could be used against us!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By EL NINO77
      My first impressions of ... Garrett Goldmaster 24K is a very stable and yet fully powerful detector on a 6x10 "coil ...
      It can also be issued ..on 3 low - conductivity targets on my test field .. a piece of 0.05 gram gold stored at 10cm, a small 14mm silver earring at a depth of 20cm and a 14mm silver hammered coin placed at 23cm..in mild terrain ... Goldmaster on sensitivity 10. .and at low, and medium SAT can detect them nicely ... and I like deep VDI target identification .... in this test.
      Tests were done on discrimination and on audio 2 tone ...
      such very deep signals .... you already have in the identification of VDI 95 -99...
      What really interested me in this test is that the detector retains the same range on such mild terrain as in the air test ... Airtest 0.1gram of gold is at 10.5 cm ,,, at 14 mm hammered it is 22-23 cm ... at discrimination and 2 tone audio ..
       Now mineralization ..
      At Sensitivity 7 ... it is stable even at strong mineralization of the "golden forest" with a value of 6 bar F3o4 / magnetite ..
       But I will make more comparisons on various mineralized terrains..strength magnetite, hematite and various minerals ... such as Tesinite, Hematite type  quartz from Pirenenei and iron stone ...
       Now VDI identification ...
      Identification of VDI Goldmaster 24k ... is very well and interestingly done ...
      1.on VDI 50-60 you can identify very low conductive gold objects such as very small open gold earrings, 3mm stud earrings ,, at level 60 -70 other slightly gold low conductive objects .. ,,,,
      2. on VDI 70-80 you can already identify some medium-sized old low-conductivity bronze objects ...., such as a Roman buckle .., or parts of it ...
      3. VDI 80-88 .... will be a zone of low and medium conductive silver and gold hammered coins ,, as well as more modern coins based on nickel alloys ...
      4 .. VDI ..90-99 ... is a zone of very many silver and copper coins .... highly conductive coins ..
       I am satisfied with the fact that the Goldmaster 24K on the 6X10 "DD coil can correctly identify in the zone of non-ferrous targets VDI 99 ... a 42mm -28 gram large silver  ..high conductivity coin ..- 1.Thaler 1870 M-T ... which is a coin the  similar size of 1 silver dollar ...
    • By Bohemia Miner
      I was thinking about buying one of these because I need a light-weight water-proof PI for Serpentine Bedrock in streams.
      Steve already gave me his opinion.  While I GREATLY respect his expertise, I'd like to get a few more opinions from the rest of you Gurus.  😁
      Thanks!
      Walt
    • By mn90403
      What is the best way to get a 24k? (or any other Garrett Detector?)
    • By ☠ Cipher
      Garrett often takes a bit of criticism for having the GTI-2500 in its lineup after so many years, particularly at the top, but I have a short list of detectors I still want to own before I consider myself satisfied that I’ve got all my bases covered. This is one of them and I’ll tell you why. It’s not so much because of what it is as a standalone hobby detector, though there may be some uses there as well. I’m looking at it because it appears to be the best option as an affordable two-box detector for larger, deeper objects and voids for which I have no unit so far. There are many people who don’t realize it’s convertible. Not only that, it seems to be the only affordable two-box detector with a disc circuit. The competition in its class doesn’t have that. My questions are, does anyone own one? Does the disc carry over to the two box setup? Even if the disc is not especially useful for that application it still seems the best option for the money. I realize most people who buy two boxes for treasure hunting don’t usually end up using them or using them long, but for my area, I’m looking for a keeper with many key spots in mind. 

• By phrunt
      Here is the July version of Garrett Searcher, some pretty good finds, good to see the old Ace series still popping up good finds regularly around the world, although this version seems dominated by the AT series finds.
      https://garrett.com/sites/default/files/pdf/2021-07/3500097_July_2021.pdf
      The last page has the advertisement for the Garrett 24K, I want one!
    • By johnedoe
      Are there any rumors of Garrett maybe reintroducing the V3i?
      I hate to see such a great machine go away.