Detectorist Finds Clue To A Lost Pirate Mystery In Rhode Island

Captain Henry Every was a 17th century pirate that took an Indian trading vessel and disappeared with it’s passengers, gold and silver aboard and was the subject of a worldwide manhunt but was never found. And then came along a detectorist who may have helped solve a part of the mystery:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/nation-world/2021/04/01/ancient-coins-may-solve-mystery-of-murderous-1600s-pirate/?outputType=amp

EDIT: Alternate link: https://apnews.com/article/ancient-coins-may-solve-mystery-1600s-pirate-f5a6151b74e0dcf96de585eab451f90c

And here's a pic of the detectorist in the article if anyone cant see it:

Detectorist.jpg.5b4db3a30af79f6f210f239f6bf392bd.jpg

• Like 5

Interesting.  My browser kept crashing (does that occasionally) on the article you linked so I found one (possibly the same text) on the Associated Press site.  This one doesn't have a picture of the detectorist and his detector, though.  Anyone recognize his detector??

As these articles tend, here's a questionable statement:  That ancient pocket change — the oldest ever found in North America — could explain how pirate Capt. Henry Every vanished into the wind.  (emphasis mine)

I think the author is referring to a 1693 coin from Yemen.  That coin is what the researchers are hypothesizing ties the finds to this 1695 pirate capture/plunder of an (Asian) Indian ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Interesting.  My browser kept crashing (does that occasionally) on the article you linked so I found one (possibly the same text) on the Associated Press site.  This one doesn't have a picture of the detectorist and his detector, though.  Anyone recognize his detector??

As these articles tend, here's a questionable statement:  That ancient pocket change — the oldest ever found in North America — could explain how pirate Capt. Henry Every vanished into the wind.  (emphasis mine)

I think the author is referring to a 1693 coin from Yemen.  That coin is what the researchers are hypothesizing ties the finds to this 1695 pirate capture/plunder of an (Asian) Indian ship.

I also edited the information above, thanks for your comment.  its an interesting find and back story!

• Like 1