Anyone Using The 8" Coil On The AQ

Fisher contacted me for a purchase of an AQ and was offering the 8" coil. I passed on the AQ since I already have two. Anyone purchased the 8" and what is your opinion?

• Like 1

Just my opinion...It has all the characteristic of a small coil. Depth is above normal for it's size but still shy of the big coil. If your hunting difficult water it's a much better choice. And I only use the AQ because it is Deep...So the bigger coil is my favorite.

If I remember correct, on a buried yard stick nickel I could get it at 15 ..  faint at 16.. all metal, which is very good for it's size

And it does come with it's own rod so changing coils is very easy.

20201012_152154.jpg

• Like 7

So the coils require different lower rods.  Why did they do that?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CCadrin said:

Fisher contacted me for a purchase of an AQ and was offering the 8" coil. I passed on the AQ since I already have two. Anyone purchased the 8" and what is your opinion?

Had no Idea the 8 incher is available for purchase...Is it available through Fisher directly or through Rick? and how much is it?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Slimpickuns said:

Had no idea the 8"

Had no Idea the 8 incher is available for purchase...Is it available through Fisher directly or through Rick? and how much is it?

It was thru Fisher, $299 with a new lower rod. Not sure what the shipping since the price was for a AQ and optionally the 8".

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Slimpickuns said:

Had no idea the 8"

Just read on my 8" post that Rick is a dealer so I would contact him first.

• Like 2

Im curious as well why they went with a standard style ears and lower shaft connector.   Will they change the larger coil on the production models ears?   Anyone had trouble with the larger coils ears?  Could be a cost saver to just beef up the ears on the larger standard if its going to be used in the water. 

5 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Im curious as well why they went with a standard style ears and lower shaft connector.   Will they change the larger coil on the production models ears?   Anyone had trouble with the larger coils ears?  Could be a cost saver to just beef up the ears on the larger standard if its going to be used in the water. 

No clue why they went with the regular ears on the 8 inch............... Both are fine with me, both work as they should with no problems here. The fact you get a lower rod with the 8 is a Big plus...disconnect the coil fitting from the main housing....flip the lever...pull out the rod .... set aside,  line up the new coil and rod....slide in, close latch......connect coil fitting to the housing....DONE>>> how easy is that... 😍

The big coils ears stay the same on the New Production model, as far as I know.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

No clue why they went with the regular ears on the 8 inch............... Both are fine with me, both work as they should with no problems here. The fact you get a lower rod with the 8 is a Big plus...disconnect the coil fitting from the main housing....flip the lever...pull out the rod .... set aside,  line up the new coil and rod....slide in, close latch......connect coil fitting to the housing....DONE>>> how easy is that... 😍

The big coils ears stay the same on the New Production model, as far as I know.

I like you say “ flip the lever “. Some may catch it and some not .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1