Remember You Heard It Here First

Like so many things they don’t say a price. When I go to Walmart and I don’t see a price then it has to be free. They say differently when I try to go out the door with it.haha  

I know nothing is free in this world but I do know it cost you more to get out of it when you die .

Chuck 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Ridge Runner, I agree, should be free if no price is displayed. 

• Like 4

I agree Chuck, No price its free. It's one of my pet peeve's . Makes you want to hit the buy it now button, doesn't it? Oh that's right, you can't because of no price. Seems like a logical way of selling something. I wonder who is in charge of product sales for some of these companies. We have it, but you have to wait and see what we want for it.

Has anyone done any work or sluicing with the 'swirl capture' design?

15 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Has anyone done any work or sluicing with the 'swirl capture' design?

Gold is heavy, so put any obstruction in its way, and some will get caught. Then the designer points at the gold that was caught, and declares the design 100% efficient. Except that all sluice boxes lose gold, so the real question is what is the gold loss.... and that figure is of course never available. As a placer recovery guy, just color me as very skeptical of 100% plastic designs with cute gimmicky catch systems. The odds of riffle blowout are incredibly high with these designs. What these really are is gold pan alternatives, more for light prospecting and quick checks, not actual production work. Personally, I’d stick with the gold pan until I need a real sluice, and that one is aluminum, steel, and carpet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

With no experience with placer recovery, or any other native gold recovery! (Stuck in S. Florida)!  I have had to pick up a few nuggets (forgive the pun) reading, and watching the gold shows! And while that is no substitute for actual experience, I can safely say that all the field recovery methods appear to be chock full of specific variables that can loose the gold out of even the most productive equipment, if not adept at it's use!

I find it all fascinating, and would one day like to try it on a small scale; for fun mind you! I have no illusions of getting rich!

My simple observations are: Knowing the kind of gold that will be sluced, finding the pay, pay feed rate, water speed and volume, angle and level of the sluce, riffle design and length; carpet and riffles for the fines, and larger riffles for chunky gold if applicable! (Simple examples only) Definitely more detailed, and a science to it all!

But I get that companies will market anything gold related that they can sell; well designed or not! Especially with the continued increase in the price of gold! But I can appreciate a small, light, packable design, for one person gold recovery, and testing of different hard to reach areas! (I would not be doing it by myself though , risk/reward)!  Besides, I used up all my risk in my former career!

Cudoos to all of you that have earned your experience through trial and error! Looks to be an extreme amount of work, and costly learning curve, for making a living!👍👍

19 hours ago, Joe D. said:

...I can appreciate a small, light, packable design, for one person gold recovery, and testing of different hard to reach areas!

There are (lightweight) aluminum options out there, and they seem to have been around for a long time.

19 hours ago, Joe D. said:

(I) have had to pick up a few nuggets (forgive the pun) reading, and watching the gold shows! And while that is no substitute for actual experience, I can safely say that all the field recovery methods appear to be chock full of specific variables that can loose the gold out of even the most productive equipment, if not adept at it's use!

I watch those, too (mostly Discovery Channel's Gold Rush in all its forms).  Even I can see inefficiencies, sometimes gross inefficiencies.  The old day miners probably knew they were losing some of the gold but didn't have much choice since their methods were (by today's standards) more primitive.  So they got maybe half and now these new semi-professional miners with expensive equipment get about half of what's left.  (That's a WAG number; some get more than half, others less.)

I'll say one more thing -- I'd like to have a crack at their tailing piles!!