40 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Thanks. it is a really good beach machine when you find your beaches settings. You're in VA and it is a great relic machine for your iron rich dirt as well. Many relic hunters have found a lot of deep Civil War relics with the GPX. I can live with losing some of my machines, but not the GPX.

True, for sure I've heard other parts of VA are iron rich, but you can go in fields here and not even hear a peep. Seriously, nothing! The only time I find lots of iron is where a house stood, they don't clean them up well. 🙂 The rest of the time it's horseshoes and plow parts.

Going to hit the beach some time this week, probably when it warms up a bit more.

• Like 1

Bob,  Enjoy your trip and let us know how the Nox does at the beach.  

Regarding the GPX - I believe Hard Nox is referring to the level of iron oxide magnetite mineralization laden red clay (vs. bulk junk iron) that is prevalent in the north-central part of VA which also corresponds to what was once a significant gold producing area of the state.  That highly mineralized soil severely limits the detection depth of even high performing vlf induction balance machines such as the Equinox, Deus, and Tarsacci.

Under those conditions the GPX 4500/4800/5000 series is probably the best pulse induction detector for relic hunting (even with the GPX 6000 on the horizon because the 6000 has no bulk iron rejection feature unlike the previously mentioned GPX models).

Managed a few mini balls and other non-descript brass pieces and a spoon in a relic hunt last weekend near Culpeper.  Nothing to write home about (though I may have snagged a soldier carved bullet) but the GPX 4800 did detect a couple of these lead projectiles at between a foot and a foot and a half of depth.  A VLF would be limited to between 6 to 9 inches at best.

Yes, the GPX 4800 fulfills a critical role in my VA relic hunting exploits.  And also why I really appreciate your farm site permissions on very mild soil, Bob.  You don't realize how easy you have it unless you attempt some detecting in the devil dirt of Brandy Station VA.

Safe travels, Bob and excellent saves Hard Nox.

20210328_122019.jpg

• Like 2