Opinions Wanted On The Future Of Detecting

I see a detector coming that will see thru any iron and hit a silver coin and tell you how deep it is and it will have the ability to go deep , like 8 ft yep see thru aluminum  car tire rims piles of cansand just report on silver gold . and the only obstakle will be permission and how much you can dig.  but its price will be based on that fact that it will find alot for you  maybe 10 to 20.000 bucks

For me detecting has a top future whether the detector has many controls or few, whilst skill in using ones detector is a factor for success, persistence and patience contribute more thus it is not a pastime for the "quick easy fix" type of person more for the dedicated. MLs marketing with the 6000 shows they are going for the customer who wants that quick easy fix in OZ, some will become dedicated detector operators but I see a bigger proportion of 6000s becoming cupboard dwellers then detectors before it. 

No doubt having a dominant Company with a monopoly making detectors is not healthy although they`ve earnt that position because they produce the best. I ask the question why they have no competition where did Garrett go wrong from producing top gold detectors of the 80s to today, Whites and their GMs, Fisher and their GBs competed brilliantly against MLs VLFs briefly but that`s last century.

Think I found the ultimate future detector:

https://www.amazon.com/Detector-Handheld-Waterproof-Accessories-American/dp/B092MYSDT2/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?81posvNAKWL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.7cc90ccd6dc08c8850bf9b6dc01de690.jpg

SIX antennas!! 😀 But seriously, improvements to accuracy would be a combination of a magnetic scan to prove iron, and a density check for aluminum? Not sure how that would be accomplished. Looks like sonar is beginning to get in the picture, fishfinder merging with metal detector.

• Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like turn on and go detecting with well engineered preset modes and a number of programs to cohoes from, and settings adjustments but not so much that you get overwhelmed like I do. I

i certainly don’t want to ever have a detector that can almost identify the target in the ground , like a screen

showing an icon of a coin or ring with a iron nail next to it. That level of information just takes all the enjoyment out of the process. 
for many years I was an active amateur astronomer and bought and made hi - performance telescopes. I even got into precision optics as a career. Finding astronomical objects of interest was very challenging, as was getting the right conditions to be able to observe them well. Then commercial telescopes and CCD cameras got so high tech it took all the fun and challenge out of the hobby in my opinion, and I got out of doing it. I’d hate for metal detecting technology to go the same route. Given that in many areas open to metal detecting have been hit hard already, detecting is more challenging than ever, and high performance detectors are helpful in eking out what’s masked and still to be found. 

Bottom line is: better technology good- too much technology bad. At least this is true for most of the hobby- the exception being maybe gold prospecting which can be considered a for profit pursuit for many.