Beach Hunt #1 - First Ever

Finally got warm enough (and I had enough time) to hit the beach for 3 hours. Before I went out I stopped by the local Police department, asked where I can detect, and gave them my name.

First thing I found was the small military button or possibly cuff or tack attachment. Not sure if it's Civil War era because I don't have my references with me. Found two pretty unrecognizable pennies, and to my surprise a 2003 one Rand coin from South Africa. There isn't a lot of junk on the beach, second photo shows the take. One gold pull tab! 😀 It's a really quiet beach.

I was in more of a scout mode today, trying different levels of the beach (there is a 10 foot tide here), I walked about a mile up and back. I was hoping I'd find something military, there was a lot of activity here. Forts and Batteries everywhere! Of course I stayed out of the forbidden zones, and of course someone called the cops on me anyway - they told me someone would. Officer came out on a beach buggy, took a photo of me, radioed in, and left. They probably said "yeah, that's him!" 😀 Not a word to me. Word to the wise...

Found one "hot rock", and had my first experience with black sand under the good stuff. Impossible to pinpoint in it. 😵 The one bottle cap was a 9. Beach mode 2 on the 600, F2/0. Sensitivity 21. I know I'm sacrificing some depth for the 50 tones and whatever else B2 does. It's kinda annoying I can't change to single frequency in this mode.

20210403_182551.jpg

20210403_182601.jpg

20210403_172726.jpg

• Like 9

I think you KNOW what would happen.  You've certainly trained many of us!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tom_in_CA said:

You "stopped by the police dept. and asked them 'where can I detect' ?"

I wonder what would happen if I asked my local police dept. (or nearest beach agency rep) that question.  

Yep. This area is very popular for detectorists. I hoped they'd suggest a place I didn't know of. 😁 The dispatcher didn't, but told me any place that isn't private property (posted/obvious) on the whole island is fine as long as I fill in the holes, stay off the dunes, and not mess with the sea oats or marine life. She said someone would probably call them, and asked for my name so they'd know it was me. I thought it would be best to respect them up front, and it paid off.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

It's kinda annoying I can't change to single frequency in this mode.

That's because it requires multifrequency to be effective at cancelling the salt signal to maintain stability.  One advantage of the 800 I really like is the user profile button, this allows you to have a one touch access to any other mode including single frequency.  I had a 600 as a backup beach machine to my 800 and found I really missed having that feature. 

Nice button, Bob.  Glad you got the authorities on your side in the event there is any friction with the locals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The button you found is indeed a military button, it's a WWII button used on.....

WWII US Army HBT Model 3 Suit -
The HBT model III worksuit was one of the most versatile cloth items of WWII. This coverall suit was widely used in a variety of roles throught the American armed forces. It was employed by mechanics, linemen, tank crewman and infantry personnel alike., The construction of the outfit consists of a single-piece herring bone twill material. The model three used black or green metal 13-star pattern buttons . The stars in the design represented the initial 13 colonies of the United States. The suit came in three different models. Our collection also includes an example of the Model I . The differences between the models consisted primarily of the number and placement of the pockets and the use of the belt."

http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/american/wwii_uniforms/hbt3.php

http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/american/wwii_uniforms/usbuttons.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-WW2-LOT-OF-6-13-STAR-BUTTONS-UNIFORM-HBT-NOS-US-ARMY-USMC/192209622558?hash=item2cc096161e:g:kgAAAOSw1DtXK5tz

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gold Seeker said:

The button you found is indeed a military button, it's a WWII button used on.....

WWII US Army HBT Model 3 Suit -
The HBT model III worksuit was one of the most versatile cloth items of WWII. This coverall suit was widely used in a variety of roles throught the American armed forces. It was employed by mechanics, linemen, tank crewman and infantry personnel alike., The construction of the outfit consists of a single-piece herring bone twill material. The model three used black or green metal 13-star pattern buttons . The stars in the design represented the initial 13 colonies of the United States. The suit came in three different models. Our collection also includes an example of the Model I . The differences between the models consisted primarily of the number and placement of the pockets and the use of the belt."

http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/american/wwii_uniforms/hbt3.php

http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/american/wwii_uniforms/usbuttons.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-WW2-LOT-OF-6-13-STAR-BUTTONS-UNIFORM-HBT-NOS-US-ARMY-USMC/192209622558?hash=item2cc096161e:g:kgAAAOSw1DtXK5tz

Thanks so much for the ID and the useful links! The only difference I see is the button appears to have a solid stud on the back, perhaps because it was used.

I understand now why it isn't as corroded as I would expect, it's not 150+ years old. 😀

Not discouraging, the beaches here have been "replenished" many times. Last year they put 8" of new beach on top in some places, and the place was swarming with detectors. I'm grateful to have found anything! Haven't gone in the water yet, just using a composite shovel on the beach.

• Like 2

Looks like the fun has just begun! Also, nice move on the PD notification there! Nice to see that there are still some places that don't say "No" to every detectorist! I wish other states, and municipalities, would do half as well considering our legal rights! Enjoy!!👍👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, geof_junk said:

F350Platinum you have got me worried I have found the gold COKE cans but not the GOLD TAB . I think I have been swing the coil too fast. 🤔

Ha, found a BLUE one today but that will be another story. 😀

• Like 1