Makro Gold Racer vs Nokta FORS Gold+

There have been extensive write ups on the FORS Gold Plus and Gold Racer here on the forum Tom. What is it you want to know?

Detailed Review of Makro Gold Racer

Gold Racer Field Testing

The Nokta FORS Gold + is a tweak on the FORS Gold so this review of the FORS Gold gives you a lot of the main information: Detailed Review of Nokta FORS Gold

Nokta FORS Gold+ Photo Tour

Nokta FORS Threads

Well I have already run them both. I have no plans for a this versus that review of the two other than what I am typing right now. If you have any other questions you will have to ask. I doubt you are going to hear from many people that will have used both models.

The Nokta FORS Gold+ is built more like a Minelab for those that prefer that type layout. The Makro Gold Racer is more the standard design these days. The FORS Gold+ at 19 kHz is less edgy than the Gold Racer at 56 kHz which performance-wise makes it a bit more practical for detecting in extreme trash. The 56 kHz Gold Racer is hotter on tiny stuff but you do not always want that when hunting around an old cabin site or a trashy park. Performance-wise the closest competitor machine to the FORS Gold+ is the Fisher Gold Bug Pro. The closest competitor machine analogous to the Gold Racer is the White's GMT.

Depth on larger stuff is near the same with both. The Gold Racer is hotter on tiny gold, but also more reactive to hot rocks and tiny trash. Typical frequency trade off, no free lunch.

Which is better? Depends what you want. Keith Southern and I have been using both. Keith found the Gold Racer too hot for working heavy ferrous trash, his specialty. I am more interested in the Gold Racer hots for finding tiny gold my GPZ 7000 misses. So I am keeping my Gold Racer and letting my FORS Gold+ go, and it is going to Keith. For Keith the FORS Gold+ is a real winner for what he does. The Gold Racer is a winner for what I do.

Anyone used to running a GMT or Gold Bug 2 in all metal mode with take right to a Gold Racer in all metal mode. The Gold Racer disc modes are trickier. They are great in milder ground and less trashy areas, but as you crank up the hot rocks and the ferrous trash the disc modes get harder to tame, a side effect of the extreme sensitivity and fast recovery time.

The FORS Gold+ is the Ford truck, great all around performance. The Gold Racer is the Chevy Corvette - sports cars are hot but use them for the wrong thing you will crash and burn.

You already have an MXT and Gold Bug 2 Tom. These other detectors will not add anything substantial in capability that you do not already have. Sounds like you you just have the "I wanna new detector" bug so common in our circles. I for one really understand that feeling. The never ending quest for the perfect machine that always ends in vague disappointment, which can only be cured by another new machine!

• Like 1

I was hoping to try out both since ive been testing the nokta detectors for a few years. All I can do is semi compare fors plus to gb2. Since I ran one for years and years. Personally I think fors plus can find tiny gold very well. So small usually you find that kind of stuff gold panning. I think gb2 did just as well and hit just a little harder on tiny gold. But but. I had troubles with it in hot ground. In about 80 percent of the places I detect. Had to lean it down alot. Just too strong for some places. I assume gold racer might struggle in same patches. But I only have all you to report on this. Meanwhile fors plus does good for me. Found more with it today. As soon as I get videos uploaded to youtube. I will report back with todays booty, good luck

• Like 2

Update:

I just received an email from Dilek. She is sending out my test gold racer. My impatience kills me. I will test both fors plus and gold racer at the same time and see what are the advantages of both under certain situations. Hope you helped design the gold racer well steve. Im looking forward to see how it goes compared to Fors plus. Hopefully the weather cooperates. This detecting spot im detecting now will be a perfect spot to try the gold racer.

The FORS Gold Plus might be better suited for many people as a primary gold getting unit. Could well prove to be so in your case. For me the Gold Racer serves a specific purpose as a secondary unit. I don't think one is better than the other, they are just two different machines depending on what a person is needing in a detector. I for one look forward to your thoughts.

• Like 1

I've been using a Fors gold + for a little while now, but we're in the middle of a really hot summer, so I've had limited time with it in the goldfield. I've sneaked in 2 short hunts to date, and have done some tests in my mineralised test tub (really bad dirt!), but have done a lot of general coin hunting with it in suburban park type environments. 

As a coin shooter, I kind of miss the 3rd tone I get with the CoRe, but when searching for modern coins, or in areas where I'm only going to pop out shallow targets the modulated audio of the 2-tone modes is awesome. I've had equal success with BOOST or FAST modes. Can't really pick them apart in a park environment.

In the goldfield I was curious to see if the iSAT helped to smooth out the all-metal mode compared to the CoRe. I'm happy to say that yes it does - well actually, turning it up doesn't seem to have any ill effects which is often the case with any type of filter, so I'm well pleased in that regard. Still, if you overcook your Sensitivity you are going to get an erratic machine, so you still have to set it to suit the conditions. 

In my mineralised test tub testing on a range of nuggets is where i saw the benefit of the FAST disc mode. It just hit targets a little cleaner, allowing me to reduce the Sensitivity a bit more for even better response - yes, less is often more :-) 

The small coil in Fast is going to sniff nuggets out of thick trash like nothing else, as long as the nuggets aren't too deep of course. 

• Like 3