Iron Bias Is Not Discrimination!

67GTA

My brain has been programmed over the years by all the VLF detectors I've used, and their default operation. You had notch (absence of audio) and discrimination (absence of detection). Then with the Deus, I had to introduce the silencer paradigm into my brain. No problem, kind of a hybrid discrim/audio filter to keep you from hearing "iffy" signals. A higher silencer setting will only let strong/confident signals through. When I started using the Equinox, I only quickly skimmed through the manual and started using it. My brain automatically associated iron bias with iron discrimination, and the horseshoe button with a preset audio notch. Apparently I've been using it wrong. According to the manual, the iron bias is more like the Deus silencer setting, and the horseshoe button is a preset iron discrimination pattern. My brain started smoking while I was testing stuff in my yard. With the horseshoe button on and iron bias F2@9, I was still hearing an iron nail next to a dime. I was expecting the nail to be discriminated out because of the iron bias setting. It was just the opposite. The nail doesn't get detected with the horseshoe button off and doesn't even register on the screen because it's being discriminated out. Hopefully this helps some new or even old detectorists understand the Equinox better. Minelab and their manual are very vague about the Equinox technology. I assume this would also apply to the Vanquish series.

• Like 2