Jump to content

Twofer Day - Beach Hunt 2


Recommended Posts

Kinda cold this morning, but it was slack low tide when I went to the beach. It's only about 1/2 mile from where I am.

Spent about 2 hours going over where I went yesterday but at lower levels of the 10 foot tide. There are almost "hourly" cuts in the sand, but it is more from the cargo ships on the Savannah River. When they pass 3-5 foot waves hit the shore. Came back on the towel line, but the lower cuts were more fruitful. Thought I'd get near a mussel patch thinking it might trap coins, but even though there were good IDs I couldn't dig more than 2 inches with my composite trowel. It was also a waste to try anything close to the water without a scoop, the holes filled in immediately.

Dug two of everything! I was surprised that a '95 quarter would look as good as a 2018. It's probably because it is still in circulation. Got one recognizable Zincoln, a '98, and one totally encrusted.

At first I thought I had 3 pennies but it turned out one was a dime. It is totally green. The other may yet give up a date but it is a Roosevelt.

Two bronze beads finish it up. I know this isn't a big deal, but those beads are really small and were a solid 22.

Got a bunch of sinkers, one bottle cap (f2/0 seems to make 'em go below 11), and a blue pull tab. Got a 12" piece of stainless steel tubing out of there that would have cored a foot.

I can only imagine how much I would find if I could spend all day like I do on the farm.

20210404_161424.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Β  Β Good treasures are nice, but few and far between! I'm sure the locals have all the locations figured out! Tough to be a tourist and jump right into the good stuff! But that is part of the attraction to detecting; as Forrest Gump said, close to where you are: "It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get"!!πŸ‘πŸ‘

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Joe D. said:

Β  Β Good treasures are nice, but few and far between! I'm sure the locals have all the locations figured out! Tough to be a tourist and jump right into the good stuff! But that is part of the attraction to detecting; as Forrest Gump said, close to where you are: "It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna find"!!πŸ‘πŸ‘

πŸ˜€ At least I'm .72 closer to the thousand or so dollars I've spent! πŸ₯³

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Β  Β Nowhere to go but up! πŸ€£πŸ‘πŸ‘

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I takes time and some luck to hit the beach at the right time and right place. It's not always apparent where the good spot could be. I recommend wandering around if you are not getting much in that area. That is how I find my spots. Sometimes they are not more than a 20'x40' stretch, very easily missed. Throw the change in a jar. You will be surprised how quickly it fills up.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I takes time and some luck to hit the beach at the right time and right place. It's not always apparent where the good spot could be. I recommend wandering around if you are not getting much in that area. That is how I find my spots. Sometimes they are not more than a 20'x40' stretch, very easily missed. Throw the change in a jar. You will be surprised how quickly it fills up.

Thanks. I'm enjoying the walk, I covered about a mile zigzagging up and down the beach. Went out early this morning to avoid the inevitable "finding anything?" There is a certain depression in the beach where I find the most stuff, kinda a "trap". It has a certain look to it. Caught on to that right away, the older stuff is there.

Tomorrow I'm thinking of bringing my scoop or my Predator, I've had to let some stuff go because of the waves. Even 10-20 feet from the surf line the holes fill in fast. I don't know how much tide y'all deal with but it's 10 feet here, the water recedes about 100' or more from the dunes. Beach gets big, then really small. The tide even covers some of the towel line!

Β 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Β  Β Had to check myself!πŸ‘πŸ‘

20210404_185713.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sometimes you have to treasure those seventy-two cent days.Β  Some will be better and a whole lot will be less!!Β  GaryC/Oregon Coast

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I don't know how much tide y'all deal with but it's 10 feet here, the water recedes about 100' or more from the dunes.

You mean in a week?Β  (Moon is in last quarter phase today....)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...