Twofer Day - Beach Hunt 2

Kinda cold this morning, but it was slack low tide when I went to the beach. It's only about 1/2 mile from where I am.

Spent about 2 hours going over where I went yesterday but at lower levels of the 10 foot tide. There are almost "hourly" cuts in the sand, but it is more from the cargo ships on the Savannah River. When they pass 3-5 foot waves hit the shore. Came back on the towel line, but the lower cuts were more fruitful. Thought I'd get near a mussel patch thinking it might trap coins, but even though there were good IDs I couldn't dig more than 2 inches with my composite trowel. It was also a waste to try anything close to the water without a scoop, the holes filled in immediately.

Dug two of everything! I was surprised that a '95 quarter would look as good as a 2018. It's probably because it is still in circulation. Got one recognizable Zincoln, a '98, and one totally encrusted.

At first I thought I had 3 pennies but it turned out one was a dime. It is totally green. The other may yet give up a date but it is a Roosevelt.

Two bronze beads finish it up. I know this isn't a big deal, but those beads are really small and were a solid 22.

Got a bunch of sinkers, one bottle cap (f2/0 seems to make 'em go below 11), and a blue pull tab. Got a 12" piece of stainless steel tubing out of there that would have cored a foot.

I can only imagine how much I would find if I could spend all day like I do on the farm.

20210404_161424.jpg

• Like 8

Good treasures are nice, but few and far between! I'm sure the locals have all the locations figured out! Tough to be a tourist and jump right into the good stuff! But that is part of the attraction to detecting; as Forrest Gump said, close to where you are: "It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get"!!👍👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Joe D. said:

Good treasures are nice, but few and far between! I'm sure the locals have all the locations figured out! Tough to be a tourist and jump right into the good stuff! But that is part of the attraction to detecting; as Forrest Gump said, close to where you are: "It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna find"!!👍👍

😀 At least I'm .72 closer to the thousand or so dollars I've spent! 🥳

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Nowhere to go but up! 🤣👍👍

• Like 2

I takes time and some luck to hit the beach at the right time and right place. It's not always apparent where the good spot could be. I recommend wandering around if you are not getting much in that area. That is how I find my spots. Sometimes they are not more than a 20'x40' stretch, very easily missed. Throw the change in a jar. You will be surprised how quickly it fills up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I takes time and some luck to hit the beach at the right time and right place. It's not always apparent where the good spot could be. I recommend wandering around if you are not getting much in that area. That is how I find my spots. Sometimes they are not more than a 20'x40' stretch, very easily missed. Throw the change in a jar. You will be surprised how quickly it fills up.

Thanks. I'm enjoying the walk, I covered about a mile zigzagging up and down the beach. Went out early this morning to avoid the inevitable "finding anything?" There is a certain depression in the beach where I find the most stuff, kinda a "trap". It has a certain look to it. Caught on to that right away, the older stuff is there.

Tomorrow I'm thinking of bringing my scoop or my Predator, I've had to let some stuff go because of the waves. Even 10-20 feet from the surf line the holes fill in fast. I don't know how much tide y'all deal with but it's 10 feet here, the water recedes about 100' or more from the dunes. Beach gets big, then really small. The tide even covers some of the towel line!

• Like 4

Had to check myself!👍👍

20210404_185713.jpg

• Like 1

Sometimes you have to treasure those seventy-two cent days.  Some will be better and a whole lot will be less!!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

Somewhere on that beach is a gold ring with your name on it.....all you have to do is wear your lucky undies !

OK , and pass the coil over it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I don't know how much tide y'all deal with but it's 10 feet here, the water recedes about 100' or more from the dunes.

You mean in a week?  (Moon is in last quarter phase today....)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Againstmywill
      Was out today to a local park and came across a strong 32-38 signal on the Equinox. I raised the coil and it still was loud. I thought it was going to be deep junk, but there were a couple 32s that showed consistently on the screen. I was not aware that 1967 was still 40% silver. 
      Equinox, 15" coil, Park 1, 23 sensitivity, 4 Recovery speed, All metal

• By UT Dave
      Found my first Barber yesterday!  And a Model T key, too!  An old, long abandoned ranch site in the middle of nowhere.  No standing buildings or anything, just rubble and outlines.  Found both very close to what I think was the house.  Both less than an inch deep, on the hard rocky desert.

Darn shame that winter snow is probably going to hit soon and lock me out of going back until next year!
      - Dave

• By F350Platinum
      Last night It was warm so I took my off road mower out across the fields to the racetrack farmhouse. It's about a mile and a half from my house, and I don't have to drive on public roads to get there.
      Headed up there this morning, it was a beautiful day. Got up to 74 today, Indian summer in the mid Atlantic. This is the place that had the long grass from two posts ago. Because the grass was so high I knew that if I cut it down I would find more, and as usual I was not disappointed. I cut it to 4.75 in. because I feared there would be obstacles for the mower, luckily there weren't except for the well.
      It was easy to get the coil close to the ground. Today I went low and slow, only got through half of it. The finds were pretty interesting, I wonder how I missed them. Most were pretty deep, about 6".
      Dug a brass skeleton key stamped 48, a piece of shoe buckle, a lead ox knob, an interesting rein guide in great shape. 4 wheats, oldest 1932, newest 1950. A copper button with no shank, the back is pretty corroded but there is a maker mark, I'll have to clean it more. A really interesting button that was shot with a .22, the bullet is still in it. It is very ornate, appears to be two piece, and has an indistinguishable backmark. The last coin is an 1895 IHP.
      Here is a closer look at the button with the bullet in it:
      And the back:
      Pretty good shot. 😀 Shame though, it's one unique button. Anyone recognize it?
    • By rod-pa
      Got out to the park again for the morning with Ozzie.  There was pretty solid frost in the grass to the point where I had about an inch of "snow" on my coil a couple times.  Bunch of coins, mostly modern.  Tried to stay near some of the older trees in an area I haven't hunted before, and pulled this nice Barber.  Happy Hunting.

• By F350Platinum
      Went out yesterday and today grid searching the racetrack area and the old farmhouse. Yesterday I didn't find much, a couple of old wheats and a pistol ball, a pocket watch adjusting weight and a very small button, what may have been on a shirt or shoe. I let the person that was shooting know that I was going to leave a flag out when I am out on the field near the gate.
      This morning I went out again, another blustery fall day. Didn't think I'd find much more but boy was I wrong. Today I hunted an area behind where the farmhouse was, there were two sheds as well. All is gone but the well now, luckily they filled it in because it can't be seen. The area is only about an acre.
      About halfway through the day I noticed I was already down a third on the Equinox battery, so I flew back to the house and grabbed my PD battery pack because I started finding coins and wanted to finish the field. I bungeed it to the shaft. It doesn't weigh that much so while the detector is charging I can drive on. It will charge the machine fully at least twice.
      It was a great day. Got an 1897 IHP, a 1908 V Nickel, 3 old wheats (1917,1919,1920), another old button, an iron hunting overall button marked "SWEET ORR", a musket ball and an adjustment tool of some kind not shown.
      The tiny thing at the bottom was the big find of the day, 1/3-ish of an 1852 Trime.
      It's difficult enough to find a Trime, but at least I got the good part! It appears to have either been clipped or broken, I could not find any of the other pieces.

• By NCtoad
      I had some paid holidays to use up before the end of the year so I took today off and drove to my favorite park.  There’s an old high school football field there that’s now used as a kids soccer field.  Everything old is deep in this field.  I’ve pulled other mercs and wheats at about the same depth, but I took a picture of this one. Third target of the morning and if I wasn’t fresh and listening well, I would have walked right over it.  I was using my equinox 800 in park 1, F2-0, reaction speed either 4 or 5, can’t remember, sensitivity at 23.  Decent enough signal once located, but with some slight iron grunts.  I removed the plug and dead center in the hole (a very good sign it’s a coin and not a nail) the pinpointer goes off, one more little scoop of dirt and then the ‘44 merc. The TRX is just a hair over 10”.