Beat Up Eagle Button

Great find. Can it be cleaned?

• Thanks 1

Maybe a little bit, I just took off the river crud. Not much left to it though since the water is brackish. I believe those buttons where gilded.

• Like 1

That button was a great find, if it is an eagle, because it looks more like the running chicken to me. Then again I have never found any of those types of items around here.

Good hunting and Happy Easter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It's definitely a Waterbury (Scovill) two piece. It's very similar to the 1861 - 1865 beat up Dragoon button I found a while back. The letter one it will tell you what branch of the military it was - if it's a 'D' it's cavalry (Dragoons).

Nice find!

20210120_172204.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

It's definitely a Waterbury (Scovill) two piece. It's very similar to the 1861 - 1865 beat up Dragoon button I found a while back. The letter one it will tell you what branch of the military it was - if it's a 'D' it's cavalry (Dragoons).

Nice find!

20210120_172204.jpg

16 hours ago, kac said:

Was poking around the river bank where I found the barber dime the other day and found this eagle button. Civ war era. Last pass I used the MK, this time the old trusty Tejon.

IMG_1495.JPG

IMG_1496.JPG

Looks general service (Striped Shield) rather than Branch Service (I, R, A, C, D etc. branch letter in the Shield).  Nice find.

• Like 6