What Type Of Metal Detector Hand Grip Do You Prefer?

"S" Grip or Post/Pistol Grip  

58 members have voted

1. 1. "S" Grip or Post/Pistol Grip

• Post Grip
    • "S" Grip

I agree about the Deus design being the one of the best but its because of its comfort + how it collapses down into a very manageable and easy to transport package with no disassembling required.

Minelab also got it pretty right with the platform on their Gofind range, but the handle needs to be more comfortable and the coil needs to be center mount but the collapsible design I like a lot.

I think that the larger manufactures need to consult people who use their products all of the time and listen and try new prototype platform designs out in rigorous field use, even if current electronics installed in new platform just to test usability of the platform in real field use.

It doesn't appear that any of them do this in regards to platform design as if they had have given the platform to multiple creative full time users of their product who would use it every day for a period in the field then report back on how it performs and suggest Ideas to improve the platform they would end up with a real ripper of a platform! 

And not have all of these problems we all whinge about!!!!

For example I have talked various people at minelab on numerous occasions and given them some really good ideas in the hope that they would pass them on and improve their future products and I'm sure many others have as well.

But it always seems to fall on deaf ears!

I think the core problem is that most manufactures employ university trained professionals in their product design team and that these professionals have hardly ever used a metal detector before they got their job.

If I was in charge of platform design at one of these company's I would only employ one such professional mainly for his skills in materials and applying and selecting the right materials for the design.

And a team of experienced creative users that really know what they are doing in the field and get this team to come up with a design incorporating the best ideas and in conjunction with the materials expert come up with a few prototypes and put them through rigorous field testing and develop the best design that way.    

Ohh yeah got a bit carried away I'm a post grip man!  :)

• Like 5

• 2 years later...

Either grip as long as it is attached to a detector that weighs less than 3 lbs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like a post handle. Before Carbon Fibre I made a wooden hip mount  rod. I had a custom groove under the handle so I could rest my grip on my little finger. It was the best setup I ever used.  A few years ago some one in Oz made custom rifle grip handles for ML detectors

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like the post grip of my 5000 better than the feel of my 7000 but like someone said earlier, I can adapt.