Back To The ATX

Dmnz

Hi guys - I owned one of the first ATX units (actually 2 of them) and suffered from the coil cable issues.   Despite that, these machines produced 100+ gold rings for me (in the space of 1 year).

Garrett was awesome and replaced the coils but they failed again (and again) and eventually I sold the machines and focused on the CTX and EXCALs (modded) and later the Equinox.  After selling the ATX I purchased the Whites BeachHunter TDI and to be honest, was less than impressed compared to my finds with the ATX of the past.  I deeply missed the two-tone audio of the ATX and the 8” mono in the water.  It was a deep machine (the TDI) but I had become used to the ATX.

I noticed my finds ‘dropping off’ once the ATX was sold - and there was no ‘replacement’ PI that was readily available......

So last week I came across a late 2018 ATX and picked that up for a very good price - shipping now!

i will update you guys with regard the cable issue - I guess I am hoping the cable is in good nick and may be the later version?  

I missed the ATX - despite its known flaws.  Roll on the courier!  The forums are certainly quiet on the ATX nowadays 

garrett-atx-waterproof-pulse-induction-metal-detector.jpg

• Like 6

Dmnz, I remember your run on the Gold rings when you broke out with the Atx.    Then you and everyone else got  jacked with all the problems. A lot of ifs surround that machine.   If Garrett did this or did that with it. Hope you got a good one, let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

Yes fingers crossed - brought from an older gentleman that never used it (aside finding a septic tank!) so let’s hope it’s a good one.   It should arrive this few days.

I kept some older ATX coils, interestingly the 8 inch coils and cables seem fine - the older stock coil i kept in the cupboard has fallen to bits (the cable) so I will try and re cable that 

I’ll be interested to see how it goes after a few years away from the ATX

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dmnz said:

Hi guys - I owned one of the first ATX units (actually 2 of them) and suffered from the coil cable issues.   Despite that, these machines produced 100+ gold rings for me (in the space of 1 year).

Garrett was awesome and replaced the coils but they failed again (and again) and eventually I sold the machines and focused on the CTX and EXCALs (modded) and later the Equinox.  After selling the ATX I purchased the Whites BeachHunter TDI and to be honest, was less than impressed compared to my finds with the ATX of the past.  I deeply missed the two-tone audio of the ATX and the 8” mono in the water.  It was a deep machine (the TDI) but I had become used to the ATX.

I noticed my finds ‘dropping off’ once the ATX was sold - and there was no ‘replacement’ PI that was readily available......

So last week I came across a late 2018 ATX and picked that up for a very good price - shipping now!

i will update you guys with regard the cable issue - I guess I am hoping the cable is in good nick and may be the later version?  

I missed the ATX - despite its known flaws.  Roll on the courier!  The forums are certainly quiet on the ATX nowadays 

I sure hear you, as another guy that was out there first with the ATX. I did well with mine for coins, gold nuggets, and of course jewelry. The largest gold nugget I've found in Nevada so far I found with the ATX.

I actually had better luck than you. My first machine was flawless, but then I blew it. It was running out of warranty, so I decided to make it into a rebuild project, and bought another ATX, this time the Deepseeker package. I should have kept using the one that was working. This new unit failed on a trip to Hawaii, and this combined with all the reports from people like you, made me decide to sell it after it got repaired under warranty.

So I have been trying to get something else. I looked at the TDI Beachhunter, but the Impulse AQ was close so waited. Got one of those, not ready for prime time, so sold it last fall. I'd be better off with the ATX myself, and the thought still crosses my mind, especially when a killer deal on a used one comes up.

I love the circuit, have no issue with how the ATX works at all. I'd buy a light weight dry land ATX in a heartbeat for gold prospecting were it designed properly. Great guts.... held back by the hardware.

Right now I'm in line for a GPX 6000, and am going to see how it does at Tahoe, as salt will not be an issue, and I can at least wade with it. The main thing is I get near saltwater so rarely it is difficult for me to get a machine just for that, but if I did, I'd have to look hard at the ATX again. It's either that or the TDI Beachunter, but that situation is currently up in the air... and under Garrett's roof!

https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-reviews/garrett-atx-pulse-induction-metal-detector/

steve-herschbach-garrett-atx-year-one-2014.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ok, so, I don’t think I could have made this up if I tried!  Decided to go for another water hunt today, ATX charged and not expecting a great deal as has been ‘slim pickings’ lately - especially with the CTX / Nox / Excal.

Found a spot in the water, I have walked over hundreds of times in the past!  Not kidding. 

A mixture of luck, tides, sand, the ATX, the mono coil - and clear water!

May be worth writing to Garrett about this one hunt - especially after “breaking up with my ATX” in the past, only to rekindle the efforts this week!  In love again. 

Several old coins (mostly 70’s and 80’s), 4 silver rings, 2 junk rings, a junker gold coloured earring, and copper / plated locket....

Then 30+ grams of gold!  Including an awesome Sapphire? Ring!   Hmm, back again tomorrow!  

9B125A2A-914F-4FA3-9077-5E7F3819AECA.jpeg

A0C199EA-881D-4A7B-BA1B-0D6428F03ABD.jpeg

6BF728F7-D4F2-4A96-BB44-2EE221DDBE43.jpeg

9FA9F0E4-4EFD-469B-A21C-043C5FFE0EEA.jpeg

40EFD02D-E7E1-4C32-B1D7-649E379A9850.jpeg

91E654C2-094E-4931-805F-5CC75F0BAF2E.jpeg

6921FBEA-6424-4855-ABC1-80C791D0A5F6.jpeg

• Like 8

On 4/14/2021 at 4:36 AM, Dmnz said:

May be worth writing to Garrett about this one hunt

That saphire ring will make their monthly finds photos for sure, and have a chance at find-of-the-month! 

On 4/14/2021 at 2:28 PM, Dmnz said:

some serious luck involved with yesterday’s hunt

You show commendable humility to admit it.  IMO there is luck in every hunt (sometimes good; sometimes bad).   You hit the jackpot and luck is only one part of it.  You (and your ATX) supplied the rest.  Well done!

• Like 3