What Type Of Metal Detector Shaft Design Do You Prefer?

57 members have voted

1. 1. What Type Of Metal Detector ShaftDesign Do You Prefer?

• Straight shaft
    • Curved shaft

I have always preferred the s-shaft and handle. I think that  shape reduces the strain on fingers and wrists and possibly elbows...unfortunately, all the Minelabs I have had used the other configuration.

I don't care much anymore because the Hipstick and Doc's bungee carry most of the strain for me...

fred

• Like 3

I played around a fair bit with different shafts and found that the post handle with a shaft that has a slight curve in it was the most comfortable.

The curve is best if it lines up with your second knuckle when holding the grip as this is the center of your arm, so it gives you the most control with the least effort and torsion when swinging.

If you've ever tried a the fisher in Steve's picture above you would know what I'm talking about, they got it pretty spot on BUT where it fails is it dose not fold up to a compact easy to transport package.

If the manufactures had ever listened to us prospectors they would make every detector so it can fit in a back pack when collapsed/folded up.

Who doesn't want the convenience of their detector fitting in a backpack????? 

And while there at it they can make them all milspec IP64 waterproof!!!!!

• Like 1

curved shaft with the post handle, like the F75 and Omega.

Normally I like a curved shaft/post handle. F75 was a real favorite of mine, and the G2 pictured above is similar but lacks the underarm battery for better balance. I say DO NOT BAN THE S shaft because done right like on the DEUS it is really good. I always liked my Gold Bug 2 setup.

Spent a zillion hours swinging the SD/GP/GPX and always was just fine with it. Considering the weight a good design and a comfortable grip. I find it mostly is how the actual grip fits my hand and the weight/balance, not about straight or curved.

Was there a reason Minelab switched from S shafts to straight shafts with post handles? Ergonomics or just to add the green GB button?

I've never used an S shaft with a heavy detector before like the SD's, just lighter VLF's, so just curious. Does having the coil weight above your hand make a difference with a big coil?

It was the other way around. The straight shaft goes back to the SD2000 if not before. The S shaft came in with the V2 series starting with the SD2100V2 and then the SD2200V2. I had a SD2200V2, kind of liked it. Never had a problem myself breaking a post handle off, but one thing for sure - you can't break it if you do not have it.

For manufacturers in general the S shaft is just cheaper to make, and unfortunately they often get made cheap. Again, XP shows how that need not be the case.

I have not actually answered the poll yet but I prefer simplicity and therefore I tend to like a S shaft design personally, but it has to be done right, and that is rare. Another S shaft model I grab and immediately like - the TDI SL. You have to have that underarm counterbalancing weight, or they are nose heavy, and that is not good. That is half the issue right there - nearly all straight shaft models are underarm control boxes. it is the S shaft units without that counterbalance that tend to feel really bad.

Minelab SD2000

post-1-0-09495100-1453326928_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-80334400-1453327248_thumb.jpg

Is there a manufacturer that sells the post-handle version of something like a Deus shaft that collapses down that far and would accept a GPX with a bit of work? Loving the idea of the packability with that mod but I guess I'm just more used to post configuration.