How Deep? Jewelry Hunting In The Water

Getting ready to hit the beach this morning. Bringing a CooB scoop today and I had a thought - how far out do ya go? Is there a certain depth that is better than another?

Don't want to "get in over my head" here 😀

43 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Getting ready to hit the beach this morning. Bringing a CooB scoop today and I had a thought - how far out do ya go? Is there a certain depth that is better than another?

Don't want to "get in over my head" here 😀

If You mean inside the water... Anywhere You feel hard ground under your feets.Before to go inside on the wet and after You're in right in front of that area...

• Like 1

Tough call where your at! Not being there, and with the large tide fluctuations! But for me, in unknown murky waters, no more than knee deep below the low tide line! I tend to be a little paranoid about Bull Sharks! Especially around river entrances! But that's just me! Stepping into dropoffs or holes is also something to consider!

Also, if your using wireless headphones, they won't work if the control pod is underwater! 👍👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

Tough call where your at! Not being there, and with the large tide fluctuations! But for me, in unknown murky waters, no more than knee deep below the low tide line! I tend to be a little paranoid about Bull Sharks! Especially around river entrances! But that's just me! Stepping into dropoffs or holes is also something to consider!

Also, if your using wireless headphones, they won't work if the control pod is underwater! 👍👍

Thanks! I'm in the fishing area, just testing out my gear. I'll have a post tonight but the day "rings" true 😉

• Like 1

Hope you are wearing something good on your feet. Glass and fishing hooks hurt! 😄 I would try from the shore to just above the knees. That will tell you what settles there. If it's all light aluminum and tin foil, and no sinkers or nickles or quarters, then it's either farther out, or buried too deep. Does the river ever go down like a low tide? That's the time to get out as far as you are comfortable.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Hope you are wearing something good on your feet. Glass and fishing hooks hurt! 😄 I would try from the shore to just above the knees. That will tell you what settles there. If it's all light aluminum and tin foil, and no sinkers or nickles or quarters, then it's either farther out, or buried too deep. Does the river ever go down like a low tide? That's the time to get out as far as you are comfortable.

Yes the river has about a 7-10 foot tide. I'll have some more info tonight, found some stuff. I'm wearing water shoes, especially at the fishing beach. Main beach tomorrow, thanks for the tips!

• Like 2

Just an FYI, I live just across the Savannah River in South Carolina, we have strong "rip tides" along the coast here so don't go out to far and especially if you can't keep good footing with the bottom, there are almost at least one or more drownings on Tybee Island beaches every summer.

Not to many reports for shark attacks but there are some sharks out there.

Also at the present time there one area that has some kind of water contamination on Tybee, I believe it's around the pier, they have signs posted to stay out of the water there so it would be wise to heed those signs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gold Seeker said:

Just an FYI, I live just across the Savannah River in South Carolina, we have strong "rip tides" along the coast here so don't go out to far and especially if you can't keep good footing with the bottom, there are almost at least one or more drownings on Tybee Island beaches every summer.

Not to many reports for shark attacks but there are some sharks out there.

Also at the present time there one area that has some kind of water contamination on Tybee, I believe it's around the pier, they have signs posted to stay out of the water there so it would be wise to heed those signs

Thanks! You're "low country"? Lucky dawg. Tried to move either here or Beaufort but the market wasn't right. You can go out almost every day. Probably find the Cartier in Hilton Head... 😀

Not going to the pier, that beach has too many people. Parking is horrible this week. I go to North Beach at the light/fort, and this hard to get to fishing beach.

• Like 1

I generally hunt with mask and snorkel, and hunt out to 6 foot depths. However, I think the sweet zone is out to waist depth, and finds fade out as you go out father. They are out there, they just get more scattered the father out you go. This all assumes there is a bottom to the sand. If its just deep sand out there, stuff sinks too far and it can get real sparse, nothing but recent drops at best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I generally hunt with mask and snorkel, and hunt out to 6 foot depths. However, I think the sweet zone is out to waist depth, and finds fade out as you go out father. They are out there, they just get more scattered the father out you go. This all assumes there is a bottom to the sand. If its just deep sand out there, stuff sinks too far and it can get real sparse, nothing but recent drops at best.

Thanks Steve. Y'all have been a great help.

It's kind of a unique situation here, the tide is literally 7-10 feet. A hundred feet of beach or more at low tide, next to nothing at high.20210407_103303.thumb.jpg.177d575261b66553b4ed8dbfc0a076a6.jpg

Early on at peak low the above was my view back at the beach. The umbrella is sitting at high tide!  😀

What I ended up doing which found me the coin line was going where my waist to knees matched up with the high tide line. Scored a bunch! The water was about 75-100 feet past me.20210407_105131.thumb.jpg.d56637b17bf8533a8eb95de718181612.jpg

These tidal pools produced some stuff but the real sweet zone was a few feet from the top cut. I found older coins in the pools.

• Like 4