How Deep? Jewelry Hunting In The Water

4 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Early on at peak low the above was my view back at the beach. The umbrella is sitting at high tide!  😀

These tidal pools produced some stuff but the real sweet zone was a few feet from the top cut. I found older coins in the pools.

Jeez!

It seems like a not so deep exposed trough with a rip too.

It all depends on ground hardness there.

Pay attention to those almost invisible cuts..............Better to call them edges.......Good luck

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skullgolddiver said:

Jeez!

It seems like a not so deep exposed trough with a rip too.

It all depends on ground hardness there.

Pay attention to those almost invisible cuts..............Better to call them edges.......Good luck

Thanks! I figured it all out, just posted another days' stuff. Did pretty good. 🙂 So ya call the tide lines edges? I know what the troughs are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

So ya call the tide lines edges

Nope....I'm referring to the pool's edges...Not to mention the deepest central area of them for the heaviest stuff...(supposing to be not on the hump).

Never forget the "trench" shape ...Keep in mind edges and central area of that paradise my friend...

• Like 2

I have found gold rings at ankle depth all the way out to my chin. But like Steve said... they do get scattered further out. My biggest gold chain was found in about 5 feet of water just about at my chin depth. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Swing king said:

Hey everyone, getting excited to go try my first water hunt locally. Would the above hold true for fresh water lake hunting? Shore to around chest deep?

You should be fine. Can't imagine it would be any different. I never really went in the water on my trip, the tides were so huge there I just estimated where one might be the day before. Found coin lines knee/waist level to high tide. The water was 150+ feet of from that line! Dug 51 coins, 3 rings and a button over 5 days.

What you might have more trouble with is mineralization. My Equinox ran ground balance at 0-5.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mr Swing king said:

Hey everyone, getting excited to go try my first water hunt locally. Would the above hold true for fresh water lake hunting? Shore to around chest deep?

You don't have where you are located in your info page, so hard to say!

But generally, in fresh water, stuff doesn't move as much, unless you have "tides" and wave action like say, the Great Lakes! Items just get deeper in the sediment/sand/gravel over time until they stop on a harder layer! That's not written in stone, but you get the idea! There can be several factors in play, depending on the location! Like currents, runoff, drawdowns in winter, drought, flooding, dredging, etc...!   If you find the history of a lake or waterway, or know where people congregate and swim, that should give you an idea of depth for losses!       

Again, area and environment dependent, but the deeper you go, the less good finds from swimmers to be had! Unless you have knowledge of a floating platform, or other structure that would alter the depth where swimmers normally congregate! But then you enter the realm of underwater detecting; a whole other discipline!!

And one last thing! Hazards: Boaters, Currents/Dropoffs, Temperature, and Dangerous Wildlife/Bacteria! Wear Water Shoes at a Minimum, and cover any exposed wounds! Broken Glass, Sharp Object's, and Flesh Eating Bacteria ain't no joke!! 😫 Applies to most all waters, fresh or salt! 👍👍

• Like 3

Joe is right, freshwater the stuff doesn't move much. I've dug seated dimes just a few inches deep in hard pack gravel, a KG that was maybe 6" down. Sandy man made beaches for fresh water is different as that is trucked in and pushed around. Unless there are weeds and vegetation putting layers of mud over them they stay put.

• Like 2