Not About Prospecting, But Some Gold Involved - Our History Revealed

Pardon my posting a cross-link, but Keith Southern started a thread over at Dankowski's forum that is too special to pass up.

Following the drywashers and prospectors and miners, we are walking in the footsteps of the pioneers and even the original inhabitants of our continent.

Keith is a great example of a detector ehthusiast who has developed and educated himself to be a real historian.

Have a look of you like. I think that this is an impressive example of where the detector users of the future will go.

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,97948

• Like 4

No problem Rick, I encourage links to good or relevant interesting information wherever it may be. That is not cross linking in my opinion, that is how the internet works! Cross posting is another matter - the copying of content from one site to another. The best way to do it is just link to it, like you have done, or sometimes a small lead-in except (teaser) followed by a link.

Very interesting thread by Keith for sure. Gold jewelry, gold coins - gold relics... its all golden! The is a metal detecting and prospecting forum so topic is spot on as far as I am concerned.

After reading that you can feel as Keith says the chills running down your spine. Very interesting read.

Hi Rick,

Its funny ,the evolution some of us make. For years,I just wanted to find silver coins.You know, "gotta get a silver" ha . Then started to detect for nuggets. That has turned into an obsession with my local gold rush history. Im blessed to live smack dab in the center of the .ca gold rush. The greatest thrill for me now, is reading about a camp in a diary, discovering that camp, and then finding personal item from that camp.I still love finding a silver coin or a nugget, but it doesn't tie in history like a buckle, or a poker chip.

Keith Southern is a real jewel in our hobby. I credit him with helping me in my transformation...he is always willing to share his knowledge,and his enthusiasm is infectious. Ray

• Like 2

I recently found two relics on one day in the gold fields of New Mexico. Both are very special to me. The first was a muleshoe that only had two nails holding it on when lost. All other nails were still there but worn smooth. That animal had worked very hard for many a day with that loose shoe. The second object found was a hand forged chisel used to split rock. The top was heavily mushroom by hammer blows. Special to me as a tribute to the men and animals that worked endless days for unknown reward.

• Like 1