Shallow Water Hunt Yields Some Gold

Very nice hunt for this time of year, great job on the gold.

What was the trash ratio to the good finds.

Good luck on your next outing!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Very nice hunt for this time of year, great job on the gold.

What was the trash ratio to the good finds.

Good luck on your next outing!

Hi Valens Legacy,

Thanks for the comments.

The trash ratio was quite good compared to some places I've hunted. There were 6 square tabs, 10 pull tabs / tab rings / beaver tails, 1 squashed screw cap, 4 fishing lures, 1 and two halves sunglasses frames, 2 rusted bolts w/ washer / nuts, 1 - 9mm casing, 1 wad foil, 2 large rusted split rings like those used for car keys, and 3 corroded zincoln cents.  I think that is 33 separate junk targets. Some of the tabs were right together and made for quick recovery.  I used a waterproof pro pointer AT to speed locating.

Keepers; No nickels, which surprised me. A clad dime. A copper memorial. 5 rings and the bracelet.

Targets came pretty quick and the area is not so big. I made two passes.  

I'm hoping to get out again.  It was 73* Monday, and snowed 3" Tuesday. I have some more areas Ive scouted but have work and some yard projects still to be done.

rich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

One question......

Is that the best you can do ?

Skuh kuh kuh kuh 

My old master (electrician) used to ask me that when I did everything perfect !

Lol, Must be related to my old boss.  But I like what I learned from him.

rich

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UtahRich said:

Lol, Must be related to my old boss.  But I like what I learned from him.

rich

Me too , I'd been a tron since a 12yo but he sure filled in any gaps I had .

Awesome hunt. That ghost town hunt can wait 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UtahRich said:

Hi Valens Legacy,

Thanks for the comments.

The trash ratio was quite good compared to some places I've hunted. There were 6 square tabs, 10 pull tabs / tab rings / beaver tails, 1 squashed screw cap, 4 fishing lures, 1 and two halves sunglasses frames, 2 rusted bolts w/ washer / nuts, 1 - 9mm casing, 1 wad foil, 2 large rusted split rings like those used for car keys, and 3 corroded zincoln cents.  I think that is 33 separate junk targets. Some of the tabs were right together and made for quick recovery.  I used a waterproof pro pointer AT to speed locating.

Keepers; No nickels, which surprised me. A clad dime. A copper memorial. 5 rings and the bracelet.

Targets came pretty quick and the area is not so big. I made two passes.  

I'm hoping to get out again.  It was 73* Monday, and snowed 3" Tuesday. I have some more areas Ive scouted but have work and some yard projects still to be done.

rich

The key statement that stands out to me is " 1 wad of foil". That would tell me all the very light aluminum was swept away! I would dig all numbers from 1-9 as well there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, schoolofhardNox said:

The key statement that stands out to me is " 1 wad of foil". That would tell me all the very light aluminum was swept away! I would dig all numbers from 1-9 as well there.

Hey SchoolofhardNox,

Im with you on this as that's where the finer women's rings come in. Everything 1 and up that I could get even a semi-consistent signal over was dug. The area doesn't lend itself to foil. I was expecting more sinkers and split shot from fishermen and I didn't get even 1.  That was unusual. I usually come home with several.  This area is quite rocky making it easy for anything dropped to quickly disappear in the nooks and crannies

i need to get out the waders and move into deeper water and find the women's rings. They should be there somewhere. 

Thanks for the thoughts.

rich

• Like 2