Annoying Quirk With Equinox

Got a 600, been taking it to the beach every day. About 3-4 hours in with the sun beating down on it, the LCD display becomes hard to read. Should I get a hat for it? 😀 Seriously, is this a common issue? When I turn around and it's shaded somewhat or of I let it cool down for a bit the screen comes back, but it's annoying.

Do you have a protective housing cover on it? First summer I ran the 800, the screen turned completely black. After that I didn't use a full control housing cover on it. I haven't had it do it since.

• Thanks 1

I can only think of 2 things that might cause this delima....do you have a screen protector on it.... I do and have NO problems with the screen.... the 2nd would possibly be a defective screen.... the only REAL problem is with the “ dufas “ looking at the screen....you might wanna try a screen protector, or if you have one on it, try replacing it with a new one....Al

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Al F said:

I can only think of 2 things that might cause this delima....do you have a screen protector on it.... I do and have NO problems with the screen.... the 2nd would possibly be a defective screen.... the only REAL problem is with the “ dufas “ looking at the screen....you might wanna try a screen protector, or if you have one on it, try replacing it with a new one....Al

Well there IS a doofus looking at the screen 😀, first thing I thought was that my sunglasses might be polarizing it but realized that they are only photo gray and don't polarize. I'll try a screen protector, I do have one of those covers that you put over the control box to protect it so I took the bubbly screen protector off. Hey I'll take any suggestions... 

17 minutes ago, Dan(NM) said:

Do you have a protective housing cover on it? First summer I ran the 800, the screen turned completely black. After that I didn't use a full control housing cover on it. I haven't had it do it since.

Yes I do. Off it comes and on with the small protector. Thanks!

No offense meant by my comment about doofus..... I was talking about me being the doofus.... sometimes I can’t see outta one eye or look outta the other.... never mind how many times I clean my glasses.... Al

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al F said:

No offense meant by my comment about doofus..... I was talking about me being the doofus.... sometimes I can’t see outta one eye or look outta the other.... never mind how many times I clean my glasses.... Al

No worries Al. I invite all questions, comments and abuse! I got what you were saying. Between you and Dan I think I am all set. 🙂

Only time that happened was when I laid the detector down with the screen facing the sun while I was doing something else. But never using it even in August on a Florida beach. I suspect it may be the protector. I have a thin plastic protector to protect the buttons just on the face of the pod. Hope it helps. HH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had something similar happen in the heat of a Florida summer a few years ago.  I had a full protective cover over the control box.  After I removed it, the EQX cooled down and returned to normal. 

Since then, I cut the back out of the cover to expose the vents in the back of the control box and haven't had a problem since....and all my hunting is in Florida year round. 

• Like 4

I ended up buying a Zagg Invisibi-Shield screen protector for a Kindle Fire($5) on Ebay, cut it to fit the entire screen and buttons and eliminated the cover altogether. The Zagg will last for a year or two.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zagg-InvisibleShield-for-Amazon-Kindle-Fire-Screen/331711478756

IMG_20210407_070046571.jpg

• Like 3