Great job on the hunting, and good wishes go out to you on your next hunt.

• Thanks 1

Bravo on the hunt, and making the wife happy!! First time I've seen a beach anvil! The little ring might be rolled gold! Keep up the good "work"!!👌👍👍

20210408_172252.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Usually plated metals deteriate fast in the salt and you should see bubbles in the plating. Take a loupe and look it over for any scratches or scuffs and see if there are bubbles, chips etc and see if there is another metal below.

Low number wouldn't be that unusual for a high karat like 18 where more common 14 or 10 have higher tid's

Congrats either way.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, kac said:

Usually plated metals deteriate fast in the salt and you should see bubbles in the plating. Take a loupe and look it over for any scratches or scuffs and see if there are bubbles, chips etc and see if there is another metal below.

Low number wouldn't be that unusual for a high karat like 18 where more common 14 or 10 have higher tid's

Congrats either way.

Thanks! I do have a loupe, and I looked it over completely for marks or anything. Isn't all true gold stamped somewhere? There is nothing noticeable but nice shiny waxy gold.

• Like 1

Not all jewelry is marked. There are a lot of small makers that don't use or have a makers mark. If it looks solid you may want to get an acid test kit. Have a feeling your going to be snaggin many more rings 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Only got one more day here, really didn't find anything else today, just $1 in change, all clad. Nothing really interesting so no post tonight! 😀 Thanks for all your help and encouragement. 

• Like 3

At least you are coming home with likely gold.  Nothing to sneeze at.  Sounds like you had a fun trip and learned a lot about beach hunting.  Same tool, completely different experience as you found out.  Congrats, Bob.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Bravo on the hunt, and making the wife happy!! First time I've seen a beach anvil! The little ring might be rolled gold! Keep up the good "work"!!👌👍👍

20210408_172252.jpg

Joe, I was mystified when I dug that up. No idea why anyone would chuck an anvil in the ocean. Truly strange find. 🤪

Ring could indeed be rolled gold. Not going to try acid on it, my wife won't let me, but maybe specific gravity when I get home. It looks like it was made today. Not a scratch.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By rod-pa
      back to the mill again...working another small steep bank about 50 yards from the last time.  This was at the base of the bank, but still about 8 inches down.  I had just dug an almost surface matchbox car about a foot from it.  I am thinking 1855, 56, or 57, but cant seem to make it out.  First half cent at this site.

• By relic ray
      Two years ago, I found 104 nickels in a single hole. No key dates. No bank wrappers. Just nickels. 
      But today I found at 4 inches or so 26 memorials (all copper of course). Deeper down, 23 Wheaties, 2 nickels, and 3 Rosie's, and a Merc. The hole became deeper then my pro pin pointer was long. At least 11 inches deep. And yesterday (Saturday)  nearby, I found this 1937 silver half in immaculate condition. 

Yesterday I 

• By dewcon4414
      These are my finds for the day.  Absolutely brutal out there today.  The heavy winds we blowing right into shore creating one heck of a pull out current and raised the TID by a good 3’.  The waves were tuff.  I saw about 8 other hunter but only 3 of us got in.  Coil control went out the window in the shallow especially.  Did about 4 hours and that all I wanted since I got 1 gold… 6.7 grams 10k, silver toe ring, want to be nugget ring, and a TI.  For the conditions…. a real good day.  The other was a keeper the last day of May I believe.  Beauty.

• By F350Platinum
      Went out for a couple of hours this morning. I find that the 2nd day after a big rain (we got 8"+ in two days) is better than the day after. It was a nice day, pretty cool and the deer flies are finally on the decline. I loaded up with Cutter and headed out to the steamboat landing, I have been mowing small portions of it for access to the river and to hunt the dirt as well. Can't do the whole thing, it's quite a few acres.
      I cleared this ~30x40' space that I think was where a small building was, there is brick and lots of iron. It's a challenge to find anything so I went for deep iffy signals that were for the most part repeatable.

I wasn't disappointed, great conduction today. Got the usual junk:
      Lamp parts, what might be gun parts, and shotgun shell ends. A couple nails. The round disc appears to be the back of a wristwatch, there are no markings.
      Dug a couple of wheats, a 1918 and one with no discernible date. The latter was 8" down under a root. Some chrome plated object, probably recent.
      The buckles were the most interesting things, first is a suspender buckle similar to one Chase found here, with a patent date:
      Second is what I think is from the 1700s, not sure whether it is for a shoe or knee:
      Unfortunately the rounded plate is twisted, I don't dare try to fix it.
      Last is another of the clip type buckles, this makes #3 and is the most spectacular of them all. I have the other half. This one is the most ornate:
      Got new headphones I'm going to try out there tomorrow.
    • By Kelpike
      I've been hunting the yard of a house we have been working on for a few weeks. The house is the first or second house built in that town and has some decent history. So far I have only found 3 old horseshoes, a completely shot rusted pocket watch, a few pieces of lead pipe, a few newer coins, many rusted cans, and a ton of rusted chunks of steel. I was about to leave the job today and decided to search for a half hour or so. I was about to leave and decided to dig another signal that sounded decent. It ended up being an Indian Head Penny. I was pretty excited to finally find an old coin on that property. After rechecking the hole I ended up finding 8 more IHP in a space about the size of a table place mat. I searched all around that area and found on more less than two feet away from the first hole. They are in pretty rough shape. After only rinsing under the faucet, the top 2 show dates of 1891 and 1883. The bottom 2 are unrecognizable. Hopefully with some cleaning I can get a few more dates off of them. 

• By devilsrenegade
      I have been wanting to search this ballpark again and try to find some gold jewelry, so today I had the time and decided to give it a go. I brought the Simplex and was going to dig all targets intent on finding jewelry. I put the Simplex in park 2, iron volume off with all notches accepted and set the sensitivity at half. I ground balanced and started swinging. First target was a bottlecap, second a piece of canslaw and third was bam......10k gold band about 3" deep. I don't think I was there more than 5 minutes. The rest of the hunt was some clad and lots of pulltabs and bottle caps and a junk arrowhead pendant. I guess it was just good luck that got my coil over that ring so quickly in the hunt. The ring came in at just above nickel and weighs just over 2 grams.