Greenhorn Incoming

Passin Thru

Howdy Gents,

First i wanna thank Steve,for birthin this baby,And all the rest of ya that have contributed info,as a fng with new found burnin fever to find Things,Which seems the Easy part,as ive got more questions now than when i started😁 i had no hope of ever stumbling onto such a site as this. Ive been diggin only since Plandemic "Lockdowns" began. Im pretty sure this site is my best find yet👍👍 i started readin about 4.30 pm yest and finally got around to creating an account about 3.30am this morn. I hadnt hardly clicked verification email an started coffee when i lost internet. Damdest thing is im sure i learned more in those few hours then i couldve Ever learned on my own But,my initial goal was to figure out which detector was gonna give me biggest bang for buck,so what i learned,was as usual,what i Assumed was All wrong😁 ive literally went from garret at max thru amfibio an nox 600 an back an forth thru the at pro an gold an considering Whites,when i stumbled onto F5 an that was dam near it,Then i saw the thread about Bounty Hunter 3300 for 99 bucks and Steve and several others musings on that subject. I was then considering just gitn a F5 with smaller coil an gitn another 4"coil for this here Canslaw poptop killer i already have and just learnin how to make it run or Bust😁 im a greenhorn but i think now,but i digress🤣 that it would mebbe behoove me to mebbe just coupla more buttons or knobs to play with🤔 Dammedifiknow. Ok lifes short and ive got lots of mistakes yet to make so, Im gonna just shutup and listen as ive dug buckets of junk and few ihp,s few silvers an 1 buffalo bunches of brass an few pocketknives. Probably enuff half rotted stinkin lincolns to buy that 99 buck bounty hounter. My problem and naggin fear is Im missin and or leavin stuff because of such trashy areas. I do appreciate greatly Any knowledge yall care to share,i really would like a lil upgrade but i want to know how to use the things. Im very aware a 5grand machine same with rifle isnt gonna make Meat where there is none. I do think from amount of junk and age of some of it,theres more to b had? 

Im Brian and im situated in southern Mississippi not far from coast.

Thanks,😁 I Think,once again for mebbe feeding a new addiction. 

Fair winds Following seas my brothers from other mothers. Lets see where this adventure leads.✌

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure there will be lots of suggestions for machines for ya. Budget and type of hunting will narrow the selection down.

• Like 1

Brian,

Your a hoot!! That was one hell of an intro! Welcome to the forum!!

Make sure to peruse Steve's form rules, and you should be good to go join in the fun!

Since you are close to the coast, do you water or beach hunt? Specific information like that will help us help you! Also budget! What your swingin' now, etc... It's hard to resist , but don't rush a purchase! And If you have a reliable detector dealer nearby, demos are an option, as well as used! There are also some great dealers that frequent this site! This hobby can get expensive quick,  if your not careful, and don't do your homework! 

Anyway, Good Luck, and we'll be seein' ya!!👍👍

• Like 3

Hi Kac,i think i met you all over the place last nite😁 im still lost in maze of info here. Not a bad thing at all,just so easy to get derailed. So im sure my wants far outweigh my needs,as i read quite a bit about diff machines and and capabilities in knowledgeable hands im thinking as i read quite a bit of Steves stories,tips tricks and just unselfishly sharing so much is very cool of him,and yourself an Chase an mr f350 and the others. Just browsin the Data and Comparisions had me for hours. I think it may be better if i tell ya hunting conditions and probable finds, the area is mostly pine barrens,with sandy to silty loose loam i guess youd call it,topss of hills and clear cuts being sandy to hard pack clay and further down into bottoms it turns into muck or loosely packed silt thats eroded down into bottoms over time. I think most of the creeks or a lot of em had better defined banks until all virgin timber was whacked by 1910-15 and then i think a lot of silt jus kinda buried quite a bit of the bottoms an instead of 1 creek its several that change courses dam near every good rain. Ive found big ol cast iron bean pot and kettle and other stuff such as hatchet  axe heads sitn right in center of washout like the camp was jus left and all stuff settled down to hard pack clay of crick bottom. Then crick changed course. Quite few log pole or the remains of anyhow bridges across the cricks. The only place ill find stuff is right in bottom of crick where its hard pack. Theres als a couple of ww2 pow sites here and poptops canslaw for days.lol Earliest coins are late 1940s that ive found so far. Surely theres more. Id think with stuff im findin that most dont care to dig melted aluminum an poptops an canslaw just name it,it was pow site and they cut timber an farmed an navy had shootn range and theres a lake and people camp fish hunt an burn Thousands of beer cans🤣 honestly its a learnin experience  for me. I think id do well if i had a machine i can sumhow learn to tune or possible  a diff tone or tones. I have a bounty hunter tracker 4,w/Sensitivity  and Discrim/notch an 3 pos toggle switch relic all metal tone. If i tune out trash im not hearin nickels. Further i just cant seem to tune like Sensitivity 0-1 an Disc in any position that seems to me to give most alum or small iron a diff tone so i can can distinguish from. Now say when i get the low tone i can switch to All metal and i Can hear diff. Thatd be like every 10 ft 🙈

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

Brian,

Make sure to peruse Steve's form rules, and you should be good to go join in the fun!

Since you are close to the coast, do you water or beach hunt? Specific information like that will help us help you! Also budget! What your swingin' now, etc... It's hard to resist , but don't rush a purchase! And If you have a reliable detector dealer nearby, demos are an option, as well as used! There are also some great dealers that frequent this site! This hobby can get expensive quick,  if your not careful, and don't do your homework! 

Lol i havent made it to beach yet,still plenty of alum an scrap iron to dig here😁  i reckon im lookn fer a machine in under 200ish range thatl jus cherrypick good coins an old jewelry without loadin me up too bad with ghosts of hangovers long forgotten. 😉 nah ive no experience. Kinda like yote trappin,you can catch an hold a few yotes in a stock 1 1/2 bridger but i wouldnt set out intentionally to do so,if i had a choice. From sounds of things i bleve ill find somethin in 3-700 range that i can play with. Just so many diff things to consider,the Takeovers,mom pops goin away,Supply lines,Fiat currencies,Plandemics ammo scarcer then buffalo nickels round here. I was on Garretts site and they direct ya to enter zip code for nearest dealer,it appears there were 3 within 50 60 miles but it seems they dont deal anymore. Mebbe a ol Gold Pro or new Max may b best all around beatn bushes type weapon. Kinda like ol waterproof mules you can ride em hard an put em up wet. I think im kinda likin the Tones idea an if i had somehat of a digital take to confer with thats lagniappe✌

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

Brian,

Ps i read Steves rules. He said keep her sanitary and friendly an oncourse. 

20210213_230914.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum and happy hunting.

Remember to dig everything and learn the tones of what you found. That way you will have a close idea of what to expect when you dig. The tones will tell you more than anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valens Legacy said:

Welcome to the forum and happy hunting.

Remember to dig everything and learn the tones of what you found. That way you will have a close idea of what to expect when you dig. The tones will tell you more than anything.

Thats my prob i think,ive got 2 tones. Lol i dig both. With machine i have,even iron metal junk most of it,the bite size pieces anyhow i cant tell enuff of diff in "Bad"tone to say im not diggin. Mebbe if i can tune out the zinc. Seriously tho,do anyone think a the smaller coil may help in really trashy areas with this beginner machine?

Id hate to miss a half reale or somethin similar as it is possible. Ya know i actually took a trip off from a fish trawler to go do an interview for a "real" job and they just happened to hang up on The Wreck that Mayve changed the World. The El Cazador caught fire an sunk in approx 100 fathoms off sw pass of ms river. Wanna talk bout luck😁

• The title was changed to Greenhorn Incoming