Greenhorn Incoming

Passin Thru

You can have multiple tones for what may be in the ground, so that is why I said to dig everything. I am also a newbie and that is how I have made some incredible finds already.

This takes time and once you learn your machine things will come to you better.

• Like 1

Yup thanks for the encouragement. Im about to go diggin now. Take care an thanks for replying,ive seen some of your posts last nite i bleve,im thinkin bout doin a turkey shoot on 4-5 of my machine choices and go with best pattern. Take care an i hope ya find somethin sweet on next swing. 

• Like 1

Brian,

There's some very capable machines in your price range! And it looks like you have done very well with what you have! You can look at Steve's Reviews, and the Post of machines under $500 dollars! There are several that will fit the bill! 

I'm sure in the next couple of days, others will make some suggestions! I want to give them a chance to chime in first, as I trust their vast experience and advice over my own!👍👍

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Matey ! 

Ya already made the find of what yuz be lookin' fer,,,,this forum is the mother lode. 

And I 'ave no doubt ya'll fit in here jus finest kind !

You bin doin' very well with that little "ol Bounty Hunter so farrrrrr ...and ya seem ta 'ave some most excellent areas ta be swingin' 'er ovaaaar !

I'd say keep using th' weapon ya already 'ave fer a while longarrr and hangin' out here fer a few more weeks will probably get ya to which new rig might be suitin' yer needs best.   Lots of 'em be equipped with those tones of which ye spoke.

Ask any questions ya have as ya go along and the crew will have ya on a true course to the treasarrrrrrrrrr in no time arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !

• Like 3

Even our resident "Pirate" chimes in to help! 🗡😂👍👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Welcome Passin Thru,

Here's my 2c...20210408_133335.thumb.jpg.5ee1971e69456b1d2e1e8ae4c3e60923.jpg

😀 Seriously, seems to me if you want to upgrade to more tones cheap, and maybe join in some water hunting, the Nokta Makro Simplex+ will give you 99 tones if you want. I was going to get one to replace my non-ground balancing Garrett Ace 400. It's around $250.

However, the local dealer pointed me at the Minelab Equinox 600, and told me I would never regret it. I haven't other than it's not an 800. 🙄 It's about $650.

I've used a Simplex and liked it but love the symphony the Equinox plays. If you're technically and musically inclined and have no problem with Bluetooth, the Equinox is it.

I've been stomping farmland for 7 months now, and the beach for 6 days. It's a heckuva hobby. Since I'm retired and can get out almost every day I think people are getting bored with me, but this forum is the place for advice and tips. There is no free ride, no magic settings or machine, but the folks here are top notch.

You're doing great with the Bounty Hunter, learning a new machine can be trifling but the "modes" each one has will get you off and running. Come back with photos and for fine tuning!

Meantime have some trash. We all dig it. 🤪20210407_134615.thumb.jpg.f6310c6e96aafa73cef9bfa21aabbf5b.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Greenhorn Incoming

One thing that helps me is learning the size of a target by sound. That means sticking with one machine for a bit and learn good coil control where you have the coil nice and close to the ground and FLAT at all times with a consistant speed. Without good consitent speed you can't judge how long a tone is or how short and you will forever dig a lot of trash. Basically try to remove as many variable as possible.

Then when you feel the need to get another machine with more bells and whistles you will know more what you may want in your area to meet your hunting needs.

Some real basics is if the machine is too chattery then up the disc a little to take out some of the small iron bits and ground noise. Try to run sensitivity up if you can when you need depth but that may not always be possible if there is power lines and just a lot of dense trash.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the site!!! I would suggest a simplex or maybe a vanquish, Or whatever detector you have or choose, learn it. Most people over complicate the hobby, Just take your time and have fun. You will find out the plus or minuses of your machine to help you in your next purchase. Good luck Brian.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Welcome Passin Thru,

Here's my 2c...20210408_133335.thumb.jpg.5ee1971e69456b1d2e1e8ae4c3e60923.jpg

😀 Seriously, seems to me if you want to upgrade to more tones cheap, and maybe join in some water hunting, the Nokta Makro Simplex+ will give you 99 tones if you want. I was going to get one to replace my non-ground balancing Garrett Ace 400. It's around $250.

However, the local dealer pointed me at the Minelab Equinox 600, and told me I would never regret it. I haven't other than it's not an 800. 🙄 It's about $650.

I've used a Simplex and liked it but love the symphony the Equinox plays. If you're technically and musically inclined and have no problem with Bluetooth, the Equinox is it.

I've been stomping farmland for 7 months now, and the beach for 6 days. It's a heckuva hobby. Since I'm retired and can get out almost every day I think people are getting bored with me, but this forum is the place for advice and tips. There is no free ride, no magic settings or machine, but the folks here are top notch.

You're doing great with the Bounty Hunter, learning a new machine can be trifling but the "modes" each one has will get you off and running. Come back with photos and for fine tuning!

Meantime have some trash. We all dig it. 🤪20210407_134615.thumb.jpg.f6310c6e96aafa73cef9bfa21aabbf5b.jpg

Yes sir,if i couldve wouldve and lastly,Shouldve found this site 6 months ago or detectin 30yrs ago,i can only imagine the money i spent on other things bein spent on upgrades of detectors 😁 im narrowing it down slightly,actually the nox 600 was my 2nd choice after AT Max. I like quite a few of lessor priced an diff brands,models. I keep comin back to waterproof and all around versatility as with the multi frequency and ease of use digital displays. I "think" something like 3-5 tones would be a lot better than the 2 im hearing now. Ive figured diff way to play with this one but,its kinda clumsy and slow in trashy places. Also an slight upgrade from the meter display that is kinda useless to me. If its pegged it may b a coin or a really nice piece of slaw😁 Tbh i cant put the lil BH Tracker 1V down. Its provided me with much interesting entertainment. I think i can and mean to do better. By that i mean,Dig faster🙈 So what about the Apex,ive read good bit on it,nothin really bad except for few new releases and similar to nox 600,i think the Simplex may fit also. I feel i should go waterproof as i "Know" with myself,sooner rather than later it or both of us will take a dunkin. Most of what id like to water hunt when it warms lil more doesnt wont require scuba or snorkel,at same time that lil silver dime was at fingertip depth with me holdin head sideways so my fresh air intake wasnt submerged 🤣 it was almost magical as i grabbed it 1st try and was my 1st silver,if i wasnt already i was definitely hooked when that shiny presented itself. That was winter an creeks were up but theres many more places to look that are lil deeper. Plus im a all wx and 24/7 type,i went last nite and got stormed out as lightnin got lil too thick. Sooo why you choose nox600 over Apex,if ya dont mind? 

Thnx for replying by way and im also kinda retired or at least a Long way tween jobs. 

• Like 2