So ,,, I was sittin' in the shade , coolin' off from the beach and decided to run a coil over the grass here next to me !

It's a barrier with a parking lot next door. They plow all their snow on it every winter. 

Mining the "Alps" , the easy way , just wait for 'em to melt !

Park 1 , Left the 11" coil on from the beach........ neg ID# opened up . Cleaning up the crap to see what's below. 

Grid off a 6' by 25' section and stuck a twig on the targets , about 20 of them. Pop on the 6"  grab the pointer and the mini spade , the garden knife and my OLD  car door window crank remover.

Moved in with the pinpointer and checked for surface finds and polished them all off with the knife and window tool. Zeroed in with the 6" tweaking twig locations and then cut in all the plugs at once  with the mini spade !

Then used a piece of 6 mil plastic to pop the plugs on next to each hole and began probing and scooping out dirt and dropped all finds in my old floaty 1/4" classifier/ sifter as I went. 2 hours on the nox clock...

Plenty of pop tops and bottle caps , can slaw ,  2 mangled keys ( from a snow plow blade LOL) a couple pieces of rusty wire , foil , etc.......and a clad dime 1997  plus 5 memorial pennies.  Add that to the dime and 3 pennies from the campground site hunt AND the quarter from the beach hunt in march = 53 cents !  

My down payment on a 6000 fund grows ever larger.... 

I hope those kids all get wasted , well except for the designated drivers ! Yeah right !  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 3 months later...

The Return Of The Son OF The Beach to  Uptah Camp mode...

Just returned from a friend's house .

He called and said " bring your detector" !

So ........I went .

"What are we diggin' up ?" No answer.....

After a couple of hours with no answer or even bringing out his Ace400  I headed back to camp..

A nice day to sit around but no detecting time ???

Don't think so. Wintah's a-comin' Chummy !

Pulled out the Nox (headphone batteries were dead  ) and walked over to my "lawn" (that strip where the plow pushes all the snow ) There are a million targets on this little strip next to me so I decide to cherry pick only the ID#23+ 24 today as my plan of attack . 

In the hour and a half before it got dark ( yup the headlamp needed charging too, I gotta get out more)   I found 2  dimes , 2 NonZinc Lincolns and a foil pill bottle seal ( Couldn't resist a # 33 hoping for silver ) and one crown cap I just found in one of the holes along with a dime. 

I haven't cleaned any up so maybe the crown cap is silver ? well , maybe one of the DIMES ??????  skuh kuh kuh kuh

Still no GOLD here , my quest to discover the ancient pirate stronghold thwarted again......ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR 

A beach festival 70 miles south of me this weekend . Will this "Son Of The Beach" score big ? Stay tuned.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Uptah Camp thawed out Saturday !

👍I got in a few holes.

Just here next to my new site at the fairgrounds and  only got some junk but I dug the holes with a hori knife and a plastic trowel. 

Freezing rain and sleet for last 26 hours ......

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

I got in a few holes

How long did you spend at the 19th hole? 🤣

Glad you were able to get out, RV. 👍

• Haha 2

Golf , i realized that would be a response when I posted..... I don't get the attraction to that hobby ??

Those people don't have to dig any holes but all they ever find is little white balls ! 

I know ,,,,more comments ! LOL🙄

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Golf , i realized that would be a response when I posted..... I don't get the attraction to that hobby ??

Those people don't have to dig any holes but all they ever find is little white balls ! 

I know ,,,,more comments ! LOL🙄

Used to play in my corporate days, 1 day a week in the afternoon we went golfing at a local course, ya sorta had to go. It was fun.

I find a lot of golf balls on farms. If they get cracked by farm equipment I throw them out, but if not I'll put them by the house if there is one. 😀 

Guess you could say I've got a lot...  🤣 Never mind. 🤐

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Well it HAD to happen ! And it's really 'not much"! 

Got in 9 holes this afternoon and no 350 not golf 😅

Temp made it to 50s ! Looking at lots of dead grass. Waited till 4pm. The shovel sunk all the way in when I jumped on it !

I walked around with the 800 and 6" coil , this place has so many targets , millions if I count the horseshoe stuff plus the threshold was blanking ~3times a second pretty much targets blanketing the ground ! So I picked a clear one and dug . I didn't have to move much for the 6 plugs . 3 were with the hori knife only.

Park 1 recovery 6 sensitivity 18. 9 holes with only one target in each

one.   

2 pulltabs ,1 with tail , a racetrack pull too.

1 aluminum tarp grommet  , a nail and a screw ,

a roached memorial,

a rosie 1981D ,

AND a little teardrop shaped pendant  with the word SISTER engraved into it , the back had a (wait for it)  925 ,,, 1st with the 800 my pocket scales are a rusted hunk of  deadness . So weight ? , not much .  I took pics with my tablet selfie cam,  AND I told y'all I was photo challenged.Now we'll see if I can post em.

image.thumb.jpeg.b0806ad0ae7bed4d9d256d044084ed94.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

2 coins and silver? 😀 Seems familiar... 🤔

🤣 That's not bad at all for a short hunt, although usually my trash isn't more than a handful, it numbers many more holes than 9, and there ain't no 19th hole where I'm digging. 😀 33% success rate. 🏆

Great job RVP, so glad you're getting out there. 🙂👍

Yes the junk ratio was quite surprising 🤔 This area is much more productive than the campsite I was on before snow (BS).

They would probably be a bit unhappy if I dug everything that beeps here . But maybe not? the Fair week with the rides , booths  and livestock can chew up a site pretty good especially if it rains... the permission came without hesitation. I did volunteer to turn over any fair related historical finds to the fair comittee.       I'm parked next to the "pulling barn" till opening then off in a corner by the warm up track for the harness horses..I might actually find a 🍀horse shoe ! Then that 12# hoard ?😏

Mom has taken up most of my day so it is hard to find enough of a length of time to go somewhere to detect, Now I live surrounded by my hunt site .,,,also like you !👍 I don't think the Fair is that old  (maybe 40s ? ) but who knows what was here before ??  I have a hand drawn bird's eye view map of the two towns I grew up in from 1877 and this place is way off in the distance but it looks like a clearing......the house in the next town my grandmother had where I lived till halfway through high school.was historic register and ON that 1877 map but a lumber yard next door bought it and now it's a paved parking lot.!   Looks like research time huh ?  I've been out on the road for a long time..

Planning on talking to some of the older fair folks when they open it back up this summah , the town library is just around the corner from here too. (At least it WAS when I lived here during the 70s..)  Who knows now. They call it 'gentrification" ,,, the old swimming hole up at the quarries is a retirement village now , "go away with that detector !"🚔   

I'll try some early morning hunts now before mom ....still need to finish the restoration on my expedition RV . But I can do a lot of that here too. 

Just needed that weather to warm up . It will snow again + 20 tonight and 30 tomorrow but 40s next week. probably not freeze the ground,, too much, mud season begins now too arrrrrrrrgh !🙄

• Like 2

Those carnival/fair sites have got to be loaded, if they haven't been cleaned out by others.  Loaded, with trash, sure.  But money is flying in and out of pockets like there's no tomorrow at those get-togethers.  Food, drinks, rides, sideshows, and contests of all kinds.  Attendees plan on coming home with empty pockets and sometimes that means drops for us, decades later.  Stay on the good side of the custodians and you've got a hunting site for life.

• Like 1