Northern Idaho Gold Detecting

At the top of the page is downloads and then if you go to books, Steve has lots of useful books for free there.  @Gerry in Idaho has written some excellent articles as well that he has on his website.  It will take a good bit of practice and education.  If it were as easy as buying a metal detector and getting out there, all of the surface gold would be gone.  If you look at places like the Rye Patch in Nevada that has surface gold, it has been thoroughly detected for decades but still produces.  

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum Steve.  I'm well known in Idaho for my gold recoveries, but to be honest, it's all from Southern Idaho.  If I did hunt up your way, I do recommend what others have mentioned and that is to rake the piles of overburden and then hunt them.  Yes it's hard work, but that's gold hunting and part of the reason we enjoy it.

The one thing I would do though in thick vegetation areas is run the larger 10" coil and be sure to keep it as close to the ground as possible.  On soft hitting signals (small targets or really deep) be sure to not rely as much on the ID system and check the ones that are undecided and go from left to right and back as the detector is undecided.  I small or deep nugget can easily fool the ID system and especially in highly mineralized soils.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like 5