Greetings From Brazil Indiana

johnt

i am brand new to metal detecting. used  my detector once at a small park in the town i live in. had a couple of targets one was a pulltab the other i couldn't get out of the ground. i realy want to get into the detecting bug but not sure how to find out who owns property that looks promising and asr realy old. any help would be awsome.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Greetings From Brazil Indiana

johnt,

Welcome to the site and I know there are many people who can help with almost any problem that you might encounter.

I am a newbie here myself and have learned so much since I have been here. The people are great and knows quite a lot about any detector that you may have.

What type of detector do you have?

When I do research on property I always go to the county court house to find out who owns the property first, then I check old records on what was there before the existing building. I found when I do that I can either rule it out or ask for permission to detect the property.

Well good luck and happy hunting.

• Like 3

Good advice ^ from VL.

Welcome aboard  , and prepare to LEARN A LOT  there's so much already posted .       Ask anything you want to find out about.

I find going to the door and knocking is a good start sometimes.  Have a few rehearsed lines ready. (Dressing a couple levels up from usual helps too.)  Maybe have a "card" made up . 

Offer to give a demo of how your dug holes disappear due to your "immense experience and skill"  , OK you may need to practice that ,,,now , go get a permission....(if they say no , keep trying , start next door .

Once you are in at one place you can work the neighborhood using the first place as a reference....

• Like 3

A person that could help you a lot is GB_Amature as he lives close to you and could give you some good pointers.

He helped my grandfather when he first got a new detector, and he know a lot of areas near you.

• Like 2

Welcome To the forum John,

Looks like an historic area your in! Check your local rules and hit some old parks! Any detector will find stuff, but you have to put in the time! Make sure to practice good detecting edicate!

If you read some of the more recent posts on the Meet and Greet, you will get some beginning detector advice for those new to the hobby! Check for local detecting clubs that may be near you! They sometimes have permissions for group hunts as well as much experience! And a good source for used equipment! Ask away if you need any more help! Good luck!👍👍 

• Like 3

Welcome.

Sometimes targets that keep sound off that are deep are usually big pieces of iron. One trick to distinguish big targets is to lift the coil up and see if the signal starts to drop off or not. Large objects the targets have greater distances and signal is still strong even with the the coil a foot away. Not sure what machine you have but if you put it in pin point mode you can hear if the sound is short or long keeping your swing speed the same.

There are links here on where to dig, rules etc but I can't seem to find them.

• Like 3

Welcome Johnny T, Glad to have you on board!!! As VL said check your county for property listings and go from there, Also there are some mobile apps that you pay a fee for that will show you the owner just by driving by. As for starting out after permissions, Dig every signal to learn what the machine is telling you. It won't take long to figure it out. Once you hit around the 10 inch mark, You can pretty much figure it's a big chunk of iron or a flattened aluminum can. I wish you all the luck with the new endeavor. And remember ask all the questions you need to, We all will do are best to help you out.

• Like 4

Welcome, Johnt!

I'm a novice when it comes to research, but if your town or county has an historical society then that is a great place to find info.  Also the public library is another excellent source of info.  (In my experience, librarians are about the most helpful people around -- make sure to take advantage of that.)  Plat maps which are kept up-to-date at the county government offices have existed for well over a century in Indiana and old ones showed locations of schools and churches.  So tying the old maps to the knew ones is the way to go.  Then you just have to work up the courage to contact (preferably in person) the current land owner for permission.  That is a skill unto itself.

Joe D. recommended checking out your local parks.  (And public schools are good, too.)  Likely they've been detected before but "nobody gets it all", and they're a good place to hone your skiills.  Most of the time those are open to detecting (check the posted rules at the park and/or official wepages if they exist) but make sure to exercise good recovery practices (click underlined text) and remove any trash (including what you find on top of the ground with your eyes).  Be respectful and polite if anyone questions you, regardless if they are official or not.  That's always worked for me.  Respect the property and people will respect you.

• Like 1

Hello again John,

GB brought up a good point about school grounds for detecting! Historically a great place to detect!

I don't know about elsewhere, but where I am, most all school grounds are fenced in now, and have security!  And in our county, there own Police Force! And remain that way year round! Tragic events that have happened have unfortunately, made this an all to common reality! Just something to be aware of, especially when schools are occupied with students!👍👍

• 2 weeks later...

wow! thanks guys. there are a lot of old buildings around here in Brazil indiana and 3 parks as well as a 4h park and highway 40 cut's right through the center of town. which is also historic. i have been doing a lot of reading on detecting and learned creek beds can also be a good place to detect and ball parks and the like. oh and my detecter is a garret ace 300. thanks for the welcome and the advice i'll keep everybody updated 

• Like 3