Really cool post Peg! That's a lot of shark teeth! How many trips did it take you to find them? What a great way to spend the winter months. My wife and daughter want to look at Florida to escape California...

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, matt said:

Really cool post Peg! That's a lot of shark teeth! How many trips did it take you to find them? What a great way to spend the winter months. My wife and daughter want to look at Florida to escape California...

I went over twice....2 days in a creek when the river was too high, then 2 more days in the Peace River 3 wks later. The tabletop finds were from that 2nd trip. I really hope to find some bigger Megs next season, as I’m heading back west in a week. 

• Like 2

Nice finds and quite a lot of them to boot. Please remember about the gators in those creeks and don't get hurt.

A friend of mine was in one of those a couple of years ago and lost an arm to a gator while hunting items in the creeks. We now call him lefty because he lost his right arm, and no I don't think it is funny but true.

Good luck and happy hunting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1
1 hour ago, Valens Legacy said:

Nice finds and quite a lot of them to boot. Please remember about the gators in those creeks and don't get hurt.

A friend of mine was in one of those a couple of years ago and lost an arm to a gator while hunting items in the creeks. We now call him lefty because he lost his right arm, and no I don't think it is funny but true.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Wow, that’s terrible re your friend! The key is to don’t go during mating season(pretty much from now through June or so), and avoid going near the baby ones that are often on the banks...momma will protect them!  I’m around gators quite a bit in a wildlife preserve area where I walk almost daily, so I’ve learned to read their body language etc. But like with any wild animal, definitely need to give them their space and respect them!

• Like 6

That is a real nice floating sifter you have there, did you make it yourself?

Nice finds! A paleology bonanza. 🏆

• Like 1
1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

That is a real nice floating sifter you have there, did you make it yourself?

Nice finds! A paleology bonanza. 🏆

Thanks! Yep, made my own sifter: 3/4” pvc, 1/4” wire mesh/hardware cloth, noodles and zip ties. Works great! 

• Like 4

WOW Peg, Those are some great finds!!! I think I might have to give the fossil hunting thing a go one of these days. Thanks for posting and peaking my interest.

• Thanks 1

Very cool!

• Like 1

Really nice finds Peg. I’m amazed at how well shark teeth are preserved. Thanks for posting. Good hunting back here out west.

Mike

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By beatup
      Not all of the good stuff that comes out of the ground in Australia is gold one of my favorite rocks is Mookaite a very fine jasper that comes out of western australia ( windalia radiolarite) because you can make things like this with it.

• By GB_Amateur
      https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/19/style/crystals-mining-quartz-herkimer.html?action=click&module=Editors Picks&pgtype=Homepage
      (Author's name is Alexandra Marvar.  Title is: Got Crystals?  Gem Mining Could Be Your Full-Time Job.)  Ugh.  More/less the typical article that makes finding gems sound easier and more profitable than reality.  Besides jewelry applications, they mention the New Age pseudoscience proponents.  (Hey, maybe a good sales opportunity for LRL snake oil peddlers!)  I am cutting and pasting one late quote which many of us can relate to:
      Among those freelancers is Ron Murray, 58, an osteopath in Seattle who mined quartz at Herkimer Diamond Mines from Memorial Day to Labor Day this year.  For his first six years digging crystals, Mr. Murray said he was “too attached” to part with anything he found. But this year, upon returning home to Seattle, he planned to keep the top 5 percent of his harvest, and sell everything else.
      “Very few people can do this,” he said. “It takes stamina. It takes knowledge. It takes masochism.”
      Like many others who share his passion for crystal hunting, he calls it an addiction — one propelled by the unshakable thought that the next pocket of untold treasure may open up on the next swing.
    • By Bear
      I have always wanted to visit this park.  Large diamond was found this month.

When I was younger I prospected for diamonds in SW Wyoming.
      https://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-finds-9-07-carat-diamond-arkansas-state-park/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6i&linkId=100453663
    • By Steve Herschbach
      “The Great Basin has some of the most unusual natural history that's buried beneath its soil. Scientists say there was period either thousands to millions of years ago when woolly mammoths, giant sloths, and prehistoric bison would roam the area that we know today as Nevada.
      Recently, some of those animals from around and before the Ice Age have resurfaced.
      Tom Gordon lives in Carson City with his wife. He has plenty of space around his property and enjoys a good sweat from a home improvement project. He bought a couple of trees to plantand began digging holes around his fence. While digging these trenches, he hit some rocks but he also hit something that he'd never see before.
      "I had to take a step back and realize what I'm hitting is some bones from animal," says Gordon. "At first I thought it may have been some chicken bones or a deer but once I dug it out of the ground, I found a full jaw with teeth. My jaw even dropped."”
      Rest of the story with photos here
    • By mn90403
      Image: Rio Tinto.

Rio Tinto has showcased its rare pink, red, violet and blue diamonds from the Argyle mine in Western Australia virtually to a group of collectors, connoisseurs and luxury jewellery houses.

There are a few here:
      https://www.australianmining.com.au/news/rio-tinto-previews-rare-argyle-gems-including-six-hero-diamonds/

• By geof_junk
      I have been going through some old photos. This one might interest some members. To get the scale, the gold nugget is about 165 gm or 5 ounces plus.