XP & Full Tones, Finds, 1872 Shield Nickle and 1923 Wheat

Super nice nickel.  I just bought a DEUS so ready to give it a try.  

39 minutes ago, CVISChris said:

Super nice nickel.  I just bought a DEUS so ready to give it a try.  

Chris, one thing you might dislike, on the Deus (if  you're accustomed to other machines), is that the Deus will "ring the bells of Notre Dame" over things like rusty crown caps, domino sized portions of flat-tin, large rusty bolts , etc....  Whereas other machines easily reject such iron, right ?

After much hair-pulling and digging 1000 such cr*p items, I have come to understand what tones a person *could* pass, if they wanted to cut down on the iron-falses.  HOWEVER, I am NOT convinced of this :  If a person is getting the Deus because it's the "cat's meow in seeing through iron-masking", then :  How can he be sure that the iron that he's "passing" isn't masking a goodie below it ? 

In other words, the moment you begin to "be picky" and only dig the signals that are for-sure a conductive target, then :  It seems to me that that means you had a "clear line of sight" to that conductive target.  Such that it had the right audio clues, eh ?  Well gee, if we all had to wait till we had a "clear line of site" to a target, then ... Gee, even my explorer will likewise get a "nice-clean signal" on targets to which aren't masked.  So what's the point of even switching then ?  Aaarrghhh.

So to that extent, I'm a little frustrated with this.   So thus far, I'm only using it for specialized occasions (extreme relicky pursuits), where I'm game to dig a bunch of iron-falses .  It's just the "cost to  pay" to not miss stuff I guess.

And it's kind of site-specific :  If the location was in play up to the 1920s (the throw-away era of rusty soldered can tops, flat tin, etc....), then it can be very punishing.   Yet at another site I hit (which was vacated by 1850-ish), then very little of these type iron items exist, in the first place. 

Anyhow, if you need any coaching , I'll convey what I've learned, the settings, etc...

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Kaolin washer said:

I have been using the ORX and doing well but have not found any coins, and i think i have hunted this unhunted spot now 10 rimes or more, But this time i got out the big gun , the DEUS in full tones, using Coin fast,  it started squeeking out shot shells and brass things, one after the other , then my 1st coin on the spot came out a 1923 wheat. and not long after that the 1872 shield Nickle, I was using 8.4 KHZ and it came thru for me .and its deep to  

Congrats on the coins. Just to be clear, Kaolin - were you using Deus Fast (Coins Fast is not a Deus Program) at 8.4 khz full with an X35 coil?  What size was the coil, btw? 

Full tones is a great tool in modern aluminum trash, because the tonal nuances really help to bring out the irregular tone distortions associated with mangled aluminum slaw and bent pull tabs.  Pristine tabs will still fool you, though.  If I am in thick iron, I prefer pitch audio with discrimination which basically sets up as a two-tone approach with iron volume providing the iron grunt tone for anything below the ferrous tone break (disc setting - I usually set it between 7 and 10,  7 if I can get away with it (i.e., if most iron rings up at 6 or below), 10 if I have to.  In this pitch set up, anything that registers above the ferrous tone breakpoint results in a VCO pitch audio signal which really stands out, especially on "squeaker" iffy targets.  Full tones is just too much in iron, frankly and you can't run full tones with any discrimination if you want to hear the iron.  Why run with discrimination?  It helps to mitigate ferrous down averaging and helps the horseshoe display accurately display target depth and ferrous vs. non-ferrous.

2 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

After much hair-pulling and digging 1000 such cr*p items, I have come to understand what tones a person *could* pass, if they wanted to cut down on the iron-falses.  HOWEVER, I am NOT convinced of this :  If a person is getting the Deus because it's the "cat's meow in seeing through iron-masking", then :  How can he be sure that the iron that he's "passing" isn't masking a goodie below it ? 

Tom I know what you are driving at regarding the Deus affinity for ringing up large, flat iron as a sweet high conductor both in tone and ID.  However, regarding your statement on "seeing through the iron" you can never be truly sure a non-ferrous is being masked if you don't dig the iron.  But as far as unmasking in iron, I find using the pitch tones approach above, to be most effective in umasking of non-ferrous in thick iron. It really pulls out squeaker iffy signals and manipulating the target with the spade (simply twisting the blade in the dirt or removing some dirt) helps to potentially separate the keeper from the iron masker, which helps firm up a dig decision even even further without having to necessarily dig the iron.  But you have to get that iffy squeaker clue in the first place (otherwise you are simply just digging it all).  It doesn't help eliminate flat iron from sounding non-ferrous, but having some disc applied tends to mitigate the effect somewhat, though it is really marginal.  So that's the point - trying to give you a better chance at hearing those partially masked squeakers.

HTH

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Chris, one thing you might dislike, on the Deus (if  you're accustomed to other machines), is that the Deus will "ring the bells of Notre Dame" over things like rusty crown caps, domino sized portions of flat-tin, large rusty bolts , etc....  Whereas other machines easily reject such iron, right ?

In other words, the moment you begin to "be picky" and only dig the signals that are for-sure a conductive target, then :  It seems to me that that means you had a "clear line of sight" to that conductive target.  Such that it had the right audio clues, eh ?  Well gee, if we all had to wait till we had a "clear line of site" to a target, then ... Gee, even my explorer will likewise get a "nice-clean signal" on targets to which aren't masked.  So what's the point of even switching then ?  Aaarrghhh.

So to that extent, I'm a little frustrated with this.   So thus far, I'm only using it for specialized occasions (extreme relicky pursuits), where I'm game to dig a bunch of iron-falses .  It's just the "cost to  pay" to not miss stuff I guess.

And it's kind of site-specific :  If the location was in play up to the 1920s (the throw-away era of rusty soldered can tops, flat tin, etc....), then it can be very punishing.   Yet at another site I hit (which was vacated by 1850-ish), then very little of these type iron items exist, in the first place. 

Anyhow, if you need any coaching , I'll convey what I've learned, the settings, etc...

Tom, the DEUS is just another “tool” in my shed.   The Equinox has absolutely killed it for me and the Vanquish my wife uses literally sucks with the mineralization where we currently hunt.   The Nox is quiet and hits coins like Thor’s hammer.   The Vanquish leaves you guessing the whole time.   I bought the Deus as a toy basically and I intend to see what it can do.   Funny that the Deus sounds like a kids fart machine and again the Nox is sweet as pie. We shall see how it works out. I know another gold rush relic hunter who swears by the DEUS and he has been really helpful and knowledgeable with my finds. So I’ve already bought it and I will find the goods with it God willing.    I almost bought a CTX but the price is way high for something that could be replaced anytime.   

• Like 3

• The title was changed to XP & Full Tones, Finds, 1872 Shield Nickle and 1923 Wheat

What is the mint mark on that 1923 penny, hard to tell from your photo, it looks like a D or is it an S?

That being said if it's a D then I would get it checked out, it could be a very rare coin, I can't find any listings of a 1923 D penny nor any photos, plenty of S mints marks out there.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 6:51 AM, Gold Seeker said:

What is the mint mark on that 1923 penny, hard to tell from your photo, it looks like a D or is it an S?

That being said if it's a D then I would get it checked out, it could be a very rare coin, I can't find any listings of a 1923 D penny nor any photos, plenty of S mints marks out there.

Or is it a 1928-D?  A 1923-D Lincoln (if authenticated) might be the greatest single item metal detector find of all time.

Locating a rare coin for which examples already exist can garner 7 figures such as this recent discovery (not reported as a metal detector find).  But showing up with a legitimate coin not known to exist would result in unprecedented headlines.

• Like 1