A Test Garden Idea For Beach Hunters

Very nice setup and it is in your back yard...👍...You can really learn a lot about a detector doing testing and playing with the settings in a test garden ...... Good Luck!

I've had a swing arm (air) test bed for many years. Although not as nice as yours I've learned so much about my machines and target responses. My favorite testing has been head phones and how to get the most out of them, audio wise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Great idea for a compact home test garden! All I have now is a compact portable setup I made to take to the beach! But that can be tough with some beachgoers wanting to know what you are doing!!👍👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looks like a nice set-up and i will have to try it myself for sure. I can use a good system like that to prepare for a good hunt.

Since I don't live near your beach can you please send me some of the sand and water.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Looks like a nice set-up and i will have to try it myself for sure. I can use a good system like that to prepare for a good hunt.

Since I don't live near your beach can you please send me some of the sand and water.

Lots of old swim spots on the rivers in Illinois from what I hear. I'm not sure if your near Tom Hiluxyota but I really enjoy his river hunt video's. 

• Like 1

On the gold fields depth is greatly reduced. To show beginners how easy it is to miss a target we would punch a hole in the ground and place some lead at different depths and sizes. The area was about 10 foot by 10 foot and would tell them to try and find any targets but not dig them up. Most people found one or two targets after we told them that they had not found all of them, they found three or four more. When we told them there was a dozen targets and showed them were they were, they could get most of them. As the target varied in size and depth some missed the tiny bits and others missed the real deep larger ones. Anyway the point is that you can learn a lot from a well setup test bed, as most of them found gold soon after. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I'm not sure if your near Tom Hiluxyota

I'm sorry but I don't know him, as for rivers and creeks around here, there are very few of them.

I have been trying to find some old swimming ponds, not settling ponds, to give it a try, but they are hard to find.

I have hit a few of the city parks that have beaches and still have found only a few coins, but one of these days I know I am going to find a ring.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 10:52 PM, ColonelDan said:

99% of my detecting is done on central Florida beaches. Since it’s impossible to establish a well stocked test garden at a public beach, I sorta brought the beach home with me and developed my own private beach garden!

I cut slots in two large empty chlorine tablet buckets at various depths as shown from 2 -16 inches. I then filled one with New Smyrna Beach sand and the other with soil...for the few times I land hunt around here.

image.jpeg.b6a939274fa202b0ba200aa9b5e64dc8.jpegimage.jpeg.6288b339c00714b701ce34fcdcfa6e70.jpeg

I embedded numerous examples of ferrous and non ferrous targets into paint stirring sticks. I also have several blank sticks I use for gold and silver jewelry as well as artifacts that I don’t want permanently attached to a stick.

image.jpeg.7986808b277a20528583608e1c57434c.jpeg

I then insert the target(s) in the slots, each at its desired depth, and start scanning.

image.jpeg.291280afbf0713c35196734f30981acf.jpeg

This allows me to rapidly change the targets, depth and relative position of each.  I can now test for sensitivity at depth as well as separation of ferrous and non-ferrous targets in a variety of scenarios using actual beach sand where I do my detecting.

If I want to test in wet salt sand, I just soak the bucket sand with authentic sea water that I also brought home from New Smyrna Beach...and the Atlantic Ocean never even missed it.  😉

Works for me.....

ColonelDan ....you did very well ,,, such tests of detectors and coils will move you quickly in the acquired knowledge of the detection capabilities of their detectors as well as various coils very forward ...

This is mainly because you have created a certain standard in the test room, which you can then repeat 10 times for verification to accurately verify the results obtained.

Thus, from randomly good settings of the detector or a suitable coil after repeated testing .... very stable detection results are obtained, which you can really rely on in field detection ...👍:smile:

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_20200412_152430.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just one important thing when setting such bed tests ; ensure that there are NO iron bits remaining in the ground that will be used for testing.  Otherwise the results will be falsed. The ground must absolutely be iron free ..

A detector in the all metal mode can be used for extracting the iron bits before filling the box/bucket ..

• Like 1