A Test Garden Idea For Beach Hunters

First and foremost, I want to thank you all for those most kind comments

Just FYI....I've been using my version of a "test garden" for a number of years now and it's proven very useful as well as extremely convenient for my purposes. 

The first thing I did after bringing the sand and soil home was to spread a tarp on an area that was target free and scan all of the sand and soil for unwanted items that would bias my testing. 

When not in use, I cover the buckets with their factory lids.  The sea water is kept in sealed jugs so it too remains uncontaminated.

Thanks again for the comments....

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Hey Colonel Dan,

Just a little update!

I'm in the process of collecting my square cat litter buckets from my neighbor (still need more) to create my portable test garden for home! I think I will line the inside of the bucket where the slots are, with bicycle inner tube, or a piece of shower liner to minimize sand loss! The rubber with a single slit behind the bucket hole should suffice to accomplish this nicely! I also will use my large bar magnet to clean the different soil buckets that will be iron free! But will have a few intentionally littered with iron bits to simulate a few beaches I occasionally hit that have iron groins shedding every hundred yards or so! I also want to have one with those melted aluminum bits I also run into!

If anyone wants to send me some dirt littered with gold nuggets, I won't say no!🤣

If you have any more suggestions you want to share, post away! I really appreciate the idea for the buckets! 👍👍

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Good tests doing it that way. Much more accurate.

Make sure you have your buckets protected If you have kids running around or coming over. They will play with the buckets and put all kinds of stuff in them and take dirt out of them. I had the same kind of bucket filled with sand in the house last winter and my nieces kids mixed ashes in it from my pellet stove and messed it all up and I couldn't use it. Plus they put sand all over the floor. If kids see a bucket of dirt they are going to play in it lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My only "kid" left in the house is about 6 ft. 4 in.  and  300 +!! He could  mess with them; or me, but I think we will be ok!! Unless you tell him there's food in there, than all bets are off!!🤣👍👍

• Haha 3