My Tarsacci Salt Review

Had a good friend loan me his Tarsacci for a few months. Settings: Sens 9, Black sand ON,  Salt 33, 9khz, disc -30, G-bal 623. Tested both coils

First off, if you are tall like me the detector is NOT long enough. I know Steve is working on an extension but here is the problem. Not enough coil cable length. So if you are tall and plan to order one, be sure to ask for longer coil cable length . Myself, I would need 4-5 inches more rod length.

Pros: Works good in the wave wash [all metal mode], good depth, silent running wet sand, NO EMI issues in a known EMI problem area, Awesome battery, good sound and volume. Pinpoints well in mixed mode, good target separation, fast recovery speed, large coil was just as stable in saltwater.

Cons: Too short, lousy coil mount location on small coil, poor on target identification [vdi display]. Iron wrap around issues, gold chain issue?.

I will probably ramble some so if you have a question please ask. For the most part worked in all metal.

I was impressed how the Tarsacci handled moving salt water. While it is no GT Sovereign, it is 100% better than the Equinox. There is an initial disturbance by the wave and then sometimes on withdrawal but working in the wash is more than workable. Also you will never lose or bury a target in a hole of soft sand like the equinox. The tarsacci will chase it all the way until you recover.

The ability of the machine to give you tone and VDI numbers at depth is a question. I was not confident that the machine separates the difference between iron and non-ferrous well at depth. While I dug very few nails and no bobby pins the MDT had an issue with the ferrous Mexican coins. Many of them would want to ring-up and some of them indicated must dig.  I would say anything past 8 inches had issues to where the target would not lock-out. I am sure more time on this machine would solve some of this confidence. One tip I have on deep targets is to take a small scoop of sand 3-4 inches off. The MDT did better reading targets regardless if there was water in the hole made or not.

On my last day both myself and my friend were on the MDT and myself the Equinox. I found a gold wrist chain that had a small name plate on it. I hit a solid 5. When we got together the MDT would not lock out on the chain with the 12”round coil, even on top of it. I could take the Equinox to about 4” above it and still locked out at 5.       

All in all, the machine was a pleasure to use. The increased coverage of the larger coil is well noted, and in my case no difference in salt water effect on the machine. Target identification takes a bit longer than the Equinox, but the MDT exceeds in moving water contact. It is not even close. Also the loss of EMI issues for three blocks of beach is a huge plus.  Dave

• Like 5

Dave,

Very nice write up👍
Have you tried just running the cable along side of the rod instead of wrapping it around? Note my pictures, I have the cable wrapped once around the bottom and once around the top and the pin is in the bottom hole. You don’t even need to wrap it around the top, however I would at the bottom (so I have cable to spare). Also note that the rods do NOT need the spring pins to go into the holes for them to fasten. The locks work great without the springs. The locks are also adjustable by simply turning the handles. So you can still squeak out around another inch that way....

Aaron

9F145410-60A6-4F09-9ABD-DE0CC751455F.jpeg

2ECF05A5-0C87-4E45-8321-22C08BF28BE2.jpeg

2E80DDD1-8755-4EF4-94D5-A4ED482B7AD9.jpeg

8EB19369-AB1C-4EA2-89D5-ED9965CACAA7.jpeg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to My Tarsacci Salt Review

My cable is set like yours. Except I use black electrical tape for a more secure cable to rod pressure because of water force. I have been doing my cables like this for years.   Your right, you can get another inch. However 1 inch is not going to cut it for me. 

Good review Dave,

I know the MDT was a loner,  you probably need more time with the Tarsacci to get more familiar with its settings.  In regards to the Tarsacci with 12” coil not responding to the gold chain as well as the Equniox,  if possible try not to use Black sand mode. Tarsacci should have hit that gold bracelet, if the Equniox can get it so should the Tarsacci. Plus, shift over to 18khz if wet sand allows. 

Hope you eventually get an MDT, with 12” coil it’s a great unit with terrific stability. Recently,  I gave my Equniox to a friend. Tarsacci in my area and type of inland hunting, Equniox never could fare as well as the Tarsacci.

Good luck!
Paul

• Like 4

I am not a beach hunter, but I do relic hunt in VA.  I love the Tarsacci in the iron!! I was pulling colonial buttons left and right in an iron patch a few weeks ago.  Using the 12 inch coil as well! 

• Like 3

There are TARSACCI users in Lake Tahoe with black sand and other Northern California black sand salt beach’s that are using the TARSACCI with great success. 
One really good example is from one of our users in New Zealand with a very HOSTILE black sand environment. Check the link....

https://forums.tarsaccisales.com/forum/1/hello-nz

Aaron

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, bklein said:

How does it do over black sand compared to the nox?

I have used both machines in my moderate black sand.  I was able to find settings that would allow both machines to run at peak levels. I would say my black sand does effect the Nox a little more. 

• Like 3