Which XP Deus Coil Is The Deepest

3 hours ago, kac said:

Interesting and good to know especially if I snagged one and use the tone breaks on key trash to help id good from bad. I ran into a snag with the standard scaling on the MK and ended up swapping back to normalized so I can jump frequencies and not have all my breaks and notches be out of whack.

Deus allows for multiple custom programs so you can set up a custom program for each frequency you want to use with the tone breaks set accordingly consistent with that frequency.  By switching between programs using the plus/minus buttons on the keypad, you simultaneously change the operating frequency and shift your tone breaks accordingly so a nickel always sounds same even if the TID changes with frequency.  HTH.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Deus allows for multiple custom programs so you can set up a custom program for each frequency you want to use with the tone breaks set accordingly consistent with that frequency.  By switching between programs using the plus/minus buttons on the keypad, you simultaneously change the operating frequency and shift your tone breaks accordingly so a nickel always sounds same even if the TID changes with frequency.  HTH.

I figured that. So only would need to program for the key frequencie or does the standard scale shift on the sub frequencies as well?

51 minutes ago, kac said:

I figured that. So only would need to program for the key frequencie or does the standard scale shift on the sub frequencies as well?

It's rare to shift to the sub frequencies at all, but even if you did, the impact would be practically NIL on TID because the shift is much, much less than a kilohertz from the base frequency.  With 5 frequencies to choose from on the X35 coils, I've never seen the need to shift at all unless it was to extend to the very lowest or very highest possible operating frequency.

• Like 1

Between 5khz and 19khz on the Kruzer a US nickel will go from low 20's to mid 30's. Higher frequencies have more spread on the lower conductors and condensing the spread on high conductors. For me this can be an issue as I will often use the tone break on key junk targets making them sound bad and better targets sound cleaner.

Not a big deal on the Deus where you have so many save slots but feel in the case of an Orx with just a couple saves it can be a limitation.

22 minutes ago, kac said:

Between 5khz and 19khz on the Kruzer a US nickel will go from low 20's to mid 30's. Higher frequencies have more spread on the lower conductors and condensing the spread on high conductors. For me this can be an issue as I will often use the tone break on key junk targets making them sound bad and better targets sound cleaner.

Not a big deal on the Deus where you have so many save slots but feel in the case of an Orx with just a couple saves it can be a limitation.

Orx normalizes all IDs to the 18 khz reference regardless of selected operating frequency on every coil (including the HF coils) as Jeff mentioned above.   Which is a good thing as the 2 non-ferrous tone breaks associated with the coin modes are fixed (not adjustable).  Orx just missed being a true Deus killer because it is limited to 3 fixed tones.  If they simply added pitch and full tones I could honestly say there would be little reason to upgrade to the Deus even accounting for all of the other Orx simplifications vs. Deus.  Still better than the Deus lite configurations, it is merely a very good backup to the Deus IMO.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I started out with the 11" & 11x13" coils, ended up mothballing the 11x13" due to weight/nose heavy properties, and preferred the 11".  Years later I moved to the 9" HF coil and haven't looked back.  Achieves excellent depth over my mild ground, light as heck and perfect size for swinging over older coin/relic sites typically hidden away in thick vegetation.

I do find that with a smaller coil you tend to spend more time thoroughly investigating areas of interest vs trying cover it all with a larger coil, and sometimes missing targets in the process.  I am currently in the process of going over old ground (Victorian era) previously detected with an Explorer SE Pro, and I am pretty chuffed at what that little Deus coil has me found so far - both deep targets and also targets co-existing with iron.

I've attached a few pics of the results from utilising 14.4kHz, have yet to even touch the higher frequencies.

Deus3.jpg

deus1.jpg

Deus2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Oh my! 1

Hard to go wrong with the mid range frequencies. I use 14khz mostly on my MK, the AT Pro is 15 and I do really well with my Tesoro at 17.5khz. I noticed higher frequencies get slaughtered on depth in wet mineral rich ground.

• 1 year later...

Calabash digger just posted this video.  He says the 11-13 has extra  coverage at depth, over the 11 inch coil.

• Like 1