Equinox Emi

I posted this on another forum other than Detector Prospector also. I feel Detector Prospector tends to be a bit more technical oriented than the other forum so I posted it here also.

I am 100% all in on the Equinox. I like it so much I have 2 800's. My biggest gripe is how susceptible it is to EMI. Some of my best spots have EMI so bad I have to turn the Nox down to like 15 or below. I used to run a Nokta Impact in 14kHz as my main detector before I got the Nox and it had EMI issues also, but I don't remember it being quite as bad. I think the Nox is a much hotter detector than the Impact is. It's sure a lot deeper than the Impact. I don't have the problem everywhere so I know it's not a detector problem. Running a smaller coil helps some, but not a lot.

So I've had an Etrac and never once did I have any audible EMI issues. Is it Multi-IQ that is susceptible or what?

Do power companies check for EMI issues like bad connections or transformers that may be the culprit? Most of my issues have been in the older parts of towns where the power infrastructure tends to be much older.

How many other people with the Equinox notice EMI is worse on it more than other detectors they use?  

Here is your cell phone [100% fix]  and some communication's EMI fix. I slide an aluminum shield over my pod protector.  This may not work well for electrical EMI. The Equinox is the worst detector for EMI I have owned.  Dave 

DSCN4194.JPG

I don't think it's cell phone related. I think it's electrical. I guess I could try that, but like I said I think is caused by electric lines or equipment.

21 minutes ago, longbow62 said:

I don't think it's cell phone related. I think it's electrical. I guess I could try that, but like I said I think is caused by electric lines or equipment.

Well it takes about a minute to wrap a couple of sheets of foil around your detector in the EMI location.  Don't need to see the screen to know if it works, you will hear it.  BTW I use corded headphones and for this test use corded phones. 

On 4/14/2021 at 2:29 PM, longbow62 said:

I posted this on another forum other than Detector Prospector also. I feel Detector Prospector tends to be a bit more technical oriented than the other forum so I posted it here also.

I am 100% all in on the Equinox. I like it so much I have 2 800's. My biggest gripe is how susceptible it is to EMI. Some of my best spots have EMI so bad I have to turn the Nox down to like 15 or below. I used to run a Nokta Impact in 14kHz as my main detector before I got the Nox and it had EMI issues also, but I don't remember it being quite as bad. I think the Nox is a much hotter detector than the Impact is. It's sure a lot deeper than the Impact. I don't have the problem everywhere so I know it's not a detector problem. Running a smaller coil helps some, but not a lot.

So I've had an Etrac and never once did I have any audible EMI issues. Is it Multi-IQ that is susceptible or what?

Do power companies check for EMI issues like bad connections or transformers that may be the culprit? Most of my issues have been in the older parts of towns where the power infrastructure tends to be much older.

How many other people with the Equinox notice EMI is worse on it more than other detectors they use?  

First of all to answer one of your later questions first, utility companies do not care much about EMI unless it is signaling an imminent component failure or if one of their industrial customers complains that the EMI is causing some sort of plant operations issue.  Other than that, it is just a something detectorists have to deal with.

I think the issue with Equinox is that Multi IQ is the susceptible to EMI in general because the input signal filtering has to allow a wide frequency bandwidth of signals into the signal processing "circuitry".  To mitigate EMI the steps you should take are (some are obvious, I you probably already know this):

1. Noise Cancel
  2. Ground Balance (technically doesn't mitigate EMI but ground noise)
  3. Lower sensitivity as necessary.  If you feel you have to lower sensitivity TOO much then:
    1. Try increasing recovery speed.
    2. Switch to another Multi IQ mode (modes which use higher weighted frequencies tend to be less susceptible to power line/transformer noise like the "2" modes and Gold modes, sometimes the Beach modes are also less susceptible even though they have lower frequency weighting - there are no absolutes so try all the modes to see how they do - remember you have to noise cancel each mode separately)
    3. Switch to single frequency (higher frequencies tend to be less susceptible to power line/transformer noise, remember to noise cancel for each frequency you try out).
    4. Notch offending TIDs (kind of a last ditch effort if you simply want to try detecting the site)
  4. Visit the sites at different times of day.  Sometimes the noise is more intense during a normal working day and sometimes weather/humidity causes more arcing an EMI.

HTH

• Like 3

I have a 600, and the only time I ever have a problem with it is when I am near power lines both underground and elevated, massive cell phone towers, and too many cell phones active in one area on a beach. It is vulnerable as Chase mentioned.

I can also see where I might think I am susceptable to EMI, when in reality I am in a VERY trashy place.

• Like 2

I’ve been hunting very high EMI areas where I live for many years (12-13 years with an Explorer SE, and just the past year with a Nox 800).  I do find myself noise cancelling a lot more with my Nox than I did with my Explorer, but I haven’t needed to lower my sensitivity very much (22-25 sens most times).  I do recall being overwhelmed by the EMI when I first started swinging the Nox for a few weeks, but after making some fine tuning adjustments with regards to lowering the volume/pitch on a range of lower target ID’s (I don’t notch out any ID’s), the EMI became more tolerable (to me).  I’m still noise cancelling quite a bit, but that’s just me always trying to squelch the noise anyway I can without sacrificing depth to search/dig those deepies!!  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I think Mul

First of all to answer one of your later questions first, utility companies do not care much about EMI unless it is signaling an imminent component failure or if one of their industrial customers complains that the EMI is causing some sort of plant operations issue.  Other than that, it is just a something detectorists have to deal with.

I think the issue with Equinox is that Multi IQ is the susceptible to EMI in general because the input signal filtering has to allow a wide frequency bandwidth of signals into the signal processing "circuitry".  To mitigate EMI the steps you should take are (some are obvious, I you probably already know this):

1. Noise Cancel
  2. Ground Balance (technically doesn't mitigate EMI but ground noise)
  3. Lower sensitivity as necessary.  If you feel you have to lower sensitivity TOO much then:
    1. Try increasing recovery speed.
    2. Switch to another Multi IQ mode (modes which use higher weighted frequencies tend to be less susceptible to power line/transformer noise like the "2" modes and Gold modes, sometimes the Beach modes are also less susceptible even though they have lower frequency weighting - there are no absolutes so try all the modes to see how they do - remember you have to noise cancel each mode separately)
    3. Switch to single frequency (higher frequencies tend to be less susceptible to power line/transformer noise, remember to noise cancel for each frequency you try out).
    4. Notch offending TIDs (kind of a last ditch effort if you simply want to try detecting the site)
  4. Visit the sites at different times of day.  Sometimes the noise is more intense during a normal working day and sometimes weather/humidity causes more arcing an EMI.

HTH

Pretty sure Idaho Power takes EMI seriously after losing a $17.5 million lawsuit

-https://www.emfacts.com/2005/11/rf-on-powerlines-175-million-court-case/

"

TWIN FALLS — A local dairy that claimed its cows were harmed by stray electrical currents has been awarded nearly $17.5 million by a 5th District Court jury.

The lead attorney for the dairy said that, to his knowledge, the award is among the largest ever in Twin Falls County and is also a record for so-called “stray voltage” cases in the United States.

Following a 10-week trial, the 12-member jury Tuesday found that antiquated Idaho Power Co. equipment caused cows at the dairy owned by Mike and Susan Vierstra to become sick and reduced milk production over a period of several years.

"

1 hour ago, sevastras said:

Pretty sure Idaho Power takes EMI seriously after losing a $17.5 million lawsuit

-https://www.emfacts.com/2005/11/rf-on-powerlines-175-million-court-case/

"

TWIN FALLS — A local dairy that claimed its cows were harmed by stray electrical currents has been awarded nearly $17.5 million by a 5th District Court jury.

The lead attorney for the dairy said that, to his knowledge, the award is among the largest ever in Twin Falls County and is also a record for so-called “stray voltage” cases in the United States.

Following a 10-week trial, the 12-member jury Tuesday found that antiquated Idaho Power Co. equipment caused cows at the dairy owned by Mike and Susan Vierstra to become sick and reduced milk production over a period of several years.

"

Are stray voltage and EMI the same thing?