Equinox Emi

18 hours ago, sevastras said:

Pretty sure Idaho Power takes EMI seriously after losing a $17.5 million lawsuit

-https://www.emfacts.com/2005/11/rf-on-powerlines-175-million-court-case/

"

TWIN FALLS — A local dairy that claimed its cows were harmed by stray electrical currents has been awarded nearly $17.5 million by a 5th District Court jury.

The lead attorney for the dairy said that, to his knowledge, the award is among the largest ever in Twin Falls County and is also a record for so-called “stray voltage” cases in the United States.

Following a 10-week trial, the 12-member jury Tuesday found that antiquated Idaho Power Co. equipment caused cows at the dairy owned by Mike and Susan Vierstra to become sick and reduced milk production over a period of several years.

"

I like how you bolded the lead phrase when you quoted me but basically ignored the rest of that sentence which basically addresses the situation in your news clipping...

On 4/14/2021 at 5:05 PM, Chase Goldman said:

unless it is signaling an imminent component failure or if one of their industrial customers complains that the EMI is causing some sort of plant operations issue.

I don’t know if EMI signaled the imminent failure that resulted in the stray voltages that caused the cattle to become ill, but I did say that would be one of the cases where the power companies would care.  Thanks for cherry picking a portion of my statement out of context to use it to make a point I already made.  Weird.

17 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

Are stray voltage and EMI the same thing? 

They are not the same thing but often EMI is generated as a result of the component failure that would cause the stray voltage issue either due to arcing or from the EM fields generated by the currents flowing due to the stray voltages.

But the opposite is not necessarily true.  EMI can be generated by electrical equipment that is functioning perfectly fine.  In that case the electric company isn’t going to do anything about that just because it interferes with your metal detector or AM radio.  That was my original point.

• Thanks 1

In my experience, lowering the recovery speed actually reduced the effect of EMI.  This was over underground powerlines on a curb strip in a residential neighborhood.  I don't remember the software version when I noticed this but it was a couple years ago.  It did seem to me that one of the software updates (2.x?) reduced EMI problems but I didn't do a thorough investigation of that.  And just to make sure this statement isn't misinterpreted, the 3.x software update didn't reverse the fix!

The worst EMI problems I ever had with the Eqx were on an 1850's homestead permission in which the powerlines were buried in the yard next to the house.  Drove me crazy!  I couldn't use MultiFrequency at all (at least down to the gain I was willing to turn it -- around 15).  I ended up running in 15 kHz.  I've tried a couple times in the past year to get permission to return there but the property owner hasn't responded to my e-mails.

EMI is such a moving target that it's hard to know if software changes or settings adjustments caused an improvement or if the EMI source changed in the meantime.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

Are stray voltage and EMI the same thing? 

They can be.  EMI can be cause by the powerlines, cell towers, lightning, sun flares among other things.  Interestingly enough, there is actually an "emissions" of sorts on manmade EMI causing things.  

12 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I like how you bolded the lead phrase when you quoted me but basically ignored the rest of that sentence which basically addresses the situation in your news clipping...

I don’t know if EMI signaled the imminent failure that resulted in the stray voltages that caused the cattle to become ill, but I did say that would be one of the cases where the power companies would care.  Thanks for cherry picking a portion of my statement out of context to use it to make a point I already made.  Weird.

They are not the same thing but often EMI is generated as a result of the component failure that would cause the stray voltage issue.

But the opposite is not necessarily true.  EMI can be generated by electrical equipment that is functioning perfectly fine.  In that case the electric company isn’t going to do anything about that just because it interferes with your metal detector or AM radio.  That was my original point.

Relax, you simply reminded me of a lawsuit that I find particularly interesting.  If I could remember where I read about ghost sightings being attributed to poor electrical and high amounts of EMI messing with peoples brains, I would have added that article. 

10 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

In my experience, lowering the recovery speed actually reduced the effect of EMI. 

Good point.  I think it can go either way when it comes to EMI depending on the type - so a more general statement of simply adjusting recovery speed either way to see if it has beneficial effect is probably a better way to put it.  One thing I do know is that reducing recovery speed generally increases ground noise.  So you can be trading one undesirable effect off on another undesirable effect.

• Like 2

We have underground transformers here in our housing tract and although the nearest transformer is 2 houses away EMI is serious with most all my detectors. I had a Compadre i sent back to Tesoro twice thinking it was bad - pissed them off, got a nasty letter saying nothing is wrong with it.  So I called SCE to do an EMI scan and they said everything is fine.  So nothing I can do. I’d like to get a tri-field or similar meter to try and pin down source location and frequency.  Anyone have luck with one of these?

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Good point.  I think it can go either way when it comes to EMI depending on the type - so a more general statement of simply adjusting recovery speed either way to see if it has beneficial effect is probably a better way to put it.  One thing I do know is that reducing recovery speed generally increases ground noise.  So you can be trading one undesirable effect off on another undesirable effect.

Glad you brought this up Chase. I too have found noise issues when lowering recovery. Esp at a salt beach. As other posters have mentioned, I noise cancel quite often. When EMI does exist, rarely do I get any relief from noise cancel. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sevastras said:

Relax, you simply reminded me of a lawsuit that I find particularly interesting.  If I could remember where I read about ghost sightings being attributed to poor electrical and high amounts of EMI messing with peoples brains, I would have added that article. 

It was an interesting story and glad you posted it.  Guess I read to far into why you chose to bold only a portion of my statement.  What would be interesting is how the dairy farm actually discovered the stray voltages/currents existed.  Besides the cow “illnesses”, were they detecting EMI on radio equipment, had any visual or audible indications of arcing, or used a field strength meter or voltmeter to measure for EMI fields or stray voltages?  What clued them in that the cows were getting sick because of electricity?

• Like 1