1 hour ago, Raphis said:

....  I hunted my beaches for a few years with a TDI Pro and a 17x13 Nugget Finder coil, and slaughtered the deep silver, along with a decent number of gold rings....It was so tough digging those deep holes that tend to fill back in the deeper you dig. ....

I remember that beach !   Those were great reports to follow.   If I recall, it was a dry-sand zone, where no one else had ever harvested beyond a foot or whatever.  So you went in with the balls-to-the-walls nugget machine, and were getting coins below the "mere mortal " levels 😅     Do  you ever return to that beach to try that anymore ?

20 minutes ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Do  you ever return to that beach to try that anymore ?

Hello Tom.  Yes, I go back, but very infrequently for the past 3-4 years.  I don’t live a mile from the beach anymore, but I usually find some silver whenever I go. It’s a lot of hard work digging in that hard pack!!  My body wouldn’t hold up well right now for that type of digging.  I’ve seen your method of digging at the beach, and there’s no way your method would allow you to dig 15-20+” in hard packed sand! 💪🏼

Hey, don’t give these guys on this forum  such a hard time with your argumentative replies 😂🤣. (I read your replies to GB’s thread regarding using a PI to hunt for deep oldies at an older park).  We know you’ve never been spanked before in a trashy, aluminum/iron laden old park by anyone swinging a PI machine before.....but then again, neither have I.  😆  I do, however, have one old park I’m tempted to swing my PI machine at, but it is a bit too far away from home to get the chance to try and test my luck. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Raphis said:

Congrats on your GPX finds from your beach!!  I hunted my beaches for a few years with a TDI Pro and a 17x13 Nugget Finder coil, and slaughtered the deep silver, along with a decent number of gold rings....It was so tough digging those deep holes that tend to fill back in the deeper you dig.  I had 3 reinforced beach scoops made years ago by Chuck from Sunspot scoops.  I totally destroyed one after 8 months of digging in hard packed sand for 15-20+” targets.

I surmise my TDI Pro (GB Off) with the larger 17x13” coil would penetrate slightly deeper in the sand than a GPX with 12.5” coil would, but not 100% convinced...I had thought of buying a used 4000/4500 a year ago to test depth against my TDI pro, but it never materialized. I bought my TDI Pro for $950 (used only once before by previous owner) back in 2014, and it has paid for itself many times over.  

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this, if you or any of the locals in your area have hunted with a TDI Pro before.

HH,

Dan

Hi Raphis, It sounds like you were close to the water, or in the water for the holes to start filling up. I would never survive doing that.  On my beach I have to use a short spade, due to the packed rocks. I did buy a nice Xtreme scoop but I'm saving it for the nicer, rock-less sand.  I only used a TDI for a little bit on the projects I am on. It was a TDI SL, so I don't have enough experience on it to give you a good opinion. But GB off, if possible, is always a better choice from what I hear. It sounds like you know your machine well, so if you had it running good, you should get excellent depth on it. The only way I can compare it from here, is that I get a nice, (quiet) solid, repeatable signal from a silver dime at 15" It's usually a two way signal for the most part. From 16-18" it is a semi-repeatable signal, unstable at times, and not always reading well both directions. After 18" it is a cross between EMI and ground noise, just barely repeating enough of times to make you not walk away. I usually take a foot of sand away and it should read loudly if it is a real signal. So if your machine can copy what I do, or do even better, then you are getting comparable (or better) depth than I am. As for locals hunting with the TDI on beaches, they will never tell anyone about it. Competition steals you finds!😄

3 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

I have only found one of each (Walker and Standing), and they happened to be nestled right next to each other in the hole.  The quarter sized ring visible on the Walker.  My two favorite designs as well! 

I am constantly amazed at the amount of silver you pull off the beach.  I will continue to live vicariously through your amazing beach hunts.

I have a feeling this is your year GBA!

Thanks. Our beaches are fairly old and luckily, the level that the old coins sit at has always surpassed the new technology coming out.... until recently. Without the GPX (or probably any good PI), I would be posting just a few clad and zincs Technology and a beach that is cooperating is the key👍 My beach is fairly long. I have hit 3 areas that have produced over 100 silvers each in the last 4 years or so. Also, a couple of small areas that have produced dozens of silvers. If the whole beach is capable of having the deep layers, it's just waiting for nature to remove enough sand in the right areas for me to have access to them. You just have to keep an eye out for those openings. I'll be back at that same clad area next week to see if the dozer didn't get to it, and if it still has more to give. Take it while you can. 🙂

2 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Great pictures school-of-hard-nox.    And judging from the amount of ferrous targets to coins, the ratio wasn't too punishing, eh ?

The ratio is skewed in a way. I always try and guess the target before I dig. I was averaging about 80% correct on iron id. So a 20% failure  -  mostly on short, heavy iron or small deep iron. The shallow iron breaks up the audio, so it's easy. The deep wires and long pieces show up by coil control (sizing). But I dig them all to get rid of them in the good areas. It's naturally easier to ID iron when they are spaced apart. I did pretty good calling the coins (about 90%), by sizing and softness of signal. The rest of the targets give odd signals which can be either deep iron or odd shapes (like crosses, studs, etc). If I wanted to discriminate by guessing, I would dig a lot less iron, but would lose some coins as well -  generally dimes and in better areas that would be silver!

• Like 2

You are the coin master. Great finds! You found in a day what took me a week (quantity). I'm sure the GPX is a killer, but there's a  lot of talent there too.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I usually take a foot of sand away and it should read loudly if it is a real signal.

Many times, I dig a few scoops of sand out of the hole, and the signal vanishes.....but I have to just trust I heard the ultra deep target before I started digging (trust it wasn’t a false signal from salt/black sand deposit).  My elliptical coil really comes in handy for those signals because I can point the toe of the coil down in the hole once I have dug deep enough and hope I hear the target getting more audible.  

I dig in wet, low tide sand and in dry, hard packed sand....digging deep holes in wet, saturated sand obviously causes your deep hole to begin to cave in on the sides....even digging in loose, dry sand, which turns into slightly moist compacted sand will create a cave in of the hole the deeper you dig....this causes one to have to widen the hole just to prevent cave-ins....I’m a short guy (5’7” on a good day), and I wish my legs were longer on some of the holes I dig because I struggle to keep my left leg on top of the surface while extending my right leg down in the hole to push down on the scoop to remove more sand.  Many times, I just jump down in the hole (when it gets really deep) and push down on my scoop with both feet. 😅

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

20 hours ago, Raphis said:

Hey, don’t give these guys on this forum  such a hard time with your argumentative replies 😂🤣. (I read your replies to GB’s thread regarding using a PI to hunt for deep oldies at an older park).  We know you’ve never been spanked before in a trashy, aluminum/iron laden old park by anyone swinging a PI machine before.....but then again, neither have I. ...

Haha, good to hear from you Dan.  Glad you're out and about !

Your deep- turf cherry picking skills are the stuff of legend.  I still say you're a robot, and not human !    Since you have so much experience with that balls-to-the-walls nugget machine, getting insanely deep beach coins, I say you should take that to some of those junky Los Angeles /So. CA turfed parks.   I mean, go figure :  You can't argue with 1.5 ft. on a dime, now can you ?  Hence, what could *possibly* go wrong ?   If it works at the beach, then ... by golly ... what are you waiting for ?  Doh !  😘

Hey, I dunno if you remember the young fellow that you were kind enough to show the ropes to, years ago:  "Michael" from Laguna Beach.   You got him hooked.  He's been getting seateds and reales lately.   He never got much into turf, and drifted instead to relicky pursuits.  He's a fun character to hunt with !  So thanks for showing him some ropes.

• Like 1

Yes, those 🤬 bulldozers!! Got them on two of the beaches right now, adding more trash ladened "sand" in a useless, and expensive attempt to stop Mother Nature for the coastal elite!           End of rant!😁

Congrats on the slew of items, and the company! You and others here, always cheer me up, with your great old finds! I even like some of your junk! Still alot of history their to be had! I hope it continues to produce for you!!

Is there any chance that one of Dozer operators can scrape you  a temporary, flat, two foot trench about 100-200 ft long, at the end of the day! He can cover it back the next morning!! If your up for an allnighter!!😂

Good luck next time out!!👍👍

• Like 2

As always you show everyone else here just how good you and your equipment are in tune with each other.

I wish I could find that many coins in a week, I do find that much trash each time I go out and one of these days I know I too will find a half as good as yours.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Raphis said:

Many times, I dig a few scoops of sand out of the hole, and the signal vanishes.....but I have to just trust I heard the ultra deep target before I started digging (trust it wasn’t a false signal from salt/black sand deposit).  My elliptical coil really comes in handy for those signals because I can point the toe of the coil down in the hole once I have dug deep enough and hope I hear the target getting more audible.  

I dig in wet, low tide sand and in dry, hard packed sand....digging deep holes in wet, saturated sand obviously causes your deep hole to begin to cave in on the sides....even digging in loose, dry sand, which turns into slightly moist compacted sand will create a cave in of the hole the deeper you dig....this causes one to have to widen the hole just to prevent cave-ins....I’m a short guy (5’7” on a good day), and I wish my legs were longer on some of the holes I dig because I struggle to keep my left leg on top of the surface while extending my right leg down in the hole to push down on the scoop to remove more sand.  Many times, I just jump down in the hole (when it gets really deep) and push down on my scoop with both feet. 😅

The signal vanishes sometimes with the GPX too, usually if I don't take enough of sand away. I make sure it repeats just enough to peak my interests and then I dig a decent depth hole, at least 8" or more. If it's real then the signal should scream. That is where a spade does better than my scoop. But I'm on dry sand. I've done the wet slopes and it always caves in once you go past the water line.  With a scoop, I can see where you would lose the signal. But you know it was there, so it is there.

8 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Yes, those 🤬 bulldozers!! Got them on two of the beaches right now, adding more trash ladened "sand" in a useless, and expensive attempt to stop Mother Nature for the coastal elite!           End of rant!😁

Congrats on the slew of items, and the company! You and others here, always cheer me up, with your great old finds! I even like some of your junk! Still alot of history their to be had! I hope it continues to produce for you!!

Is there any chance that one of Dozer operators can scrape you  a temporary, flat, two foot trench about 100-200 ft long, at the end of the day! He can cover it back the next morning!! If your up for an allnighter!!😂

Good luck next time out!!👍👍

I wish they would scrape a trench for me. 😄 In the old days you could probably convince someone to do that during the off season. Throw a 20 at him and a six pack and your golden. 😆 Nowadays, he would be fired and you would be banned from the beach.  If I could bribe nature I would. Nobody does it better than a good old fashion Nor'easter.

6 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

As always you show everyone else here just how good you and your equipment are in tune with each other.

I wish I could find that many coins in a week, I do find that much trash each time I go out and one of these days I know I too will find a half as good as yours.

Good luck on your next hunt.

It's just a matter of location and opportunity. Good spots are getting harder to come by, so you have to be more creative in trying new ones. I have hunted cellar holes for about 10 + years before I did beaches. Before that I did parks, schools, picnic groves, etc.. Every time out, I looked for sections that others might not go into. I hiked a lot 🙄 I have over a hundreds large coppers, seated half dimes, trimes, some bust dimes, etc... all from cellar holes. Research is the key. You could be driving by an old field that may have been a carnival site 100 years ago. You just never know.

2 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Cut it out ! 

You're making me look bad........😛

Come on down, I'll put that GPX on you and turn you loose 😄 Just eat your Wheaties before you get here. That rig is heavy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1