Poll - Who Is Getting A GPX 6000 And Who Is Not?

Poll - Who Is Getting A GPX 6000 And Who Is Not?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Trying To Get One, Not Getting One For Sure, Or On The Fence?

• I want a GPX 6000 and am trying to line one up now
    • I do not see anything here that interests me, will not be getting one
    • I’m just not sure, interested, but need more information

25 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

Oneguy I would love to hear a review on what you think of that coil.  I’ve been thinking about putting that coil on my SDC for a long time now.  Would love to hear comparisons with the 8 inch standard coil.

I've only got a couple hrs on the coil.  I did do some half-assed air testing with the 5x10 against the stock 8" and also threw in the Monster with the 5" with all the coils 3ft off the ground.  The 5x10 seemed a tad more sensitive on the nose and edges than the stock 8" but I noticed no increase in depth between the two with settings up to 4.  What did surprise me was the Monster with the 5" and manual 10 got about 1/2" more depth than the SDC with either coil on all nuggets tested (3.5ozt., 25g specimen, 12g, 4.6g).  What I will say is the 5x10 is a pleasure to swing compared to the 8" and of course it'll get into those tighter spots.  Is it worth $300+ ?  I don't know....jmo

Keep in mind I surely don't consider myself any pro or tester guy, just have MY opinions is all.  I'm not the person to take any advice from....

The reason I'm buying the 6000 is for a little more depth, simplicity, lack of cords. When I bought the SDC I thought it had a little more depth but I haven't seen it?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GotAU? said:

I’m thinking of posting a Zed or GPX wanted add in the classifieds, should have some really good used deals for clean stock units coming up soon! 😉

People think the used market will drop significantly with each Minelab new release. Short term it can happen but it's never been a huge amount & once things settle down a bit the used prices seem to go back up (if they've even really come down at all).

I just sold 2 x very good condition GPX4500's with extras for AUD$6500. I would have expected around that regardless of the 6000 release. I don't see the price on sought after units dropping significantly.

P.s. 2 x GPX6000's in the post to replace them.

• Like 3

After hearing JP's comments, it reassured me that this 6000 is going to be a great performer against all the heavier previous series GPX5000 & SDC2300 detectors which will probably result in me only needing to own a few key detectors, mainly the 6000 and the Nox for my detecting needs. I like the fact that this 6000 PI will find really small gold and that it is light enough to carry in rougher terrain. So light I'll probably will also be able to run the Nox alongside it in needed areas. This detector should also have a great resale value for quite some time.

Thanks Steve and JP for keeping us well informed on the GPX6000.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, AussieMatt said:

People think the used market will drop significantly with each Minelab new release. Short term it can happen but it's never been a huge amount & once things settle down a bit the used prices seem to go back up (if they've even really come down at all).

I just sold 2 x very good condition GPX4500's with extras for AUD$6500. I would have expected around that regardless of the 6000 release. I don't see the price on sought after units dropping significantly.

P.s. 2 x GPX6000's in the post to replace them.

Wow, you did well on those 4500 sales! I recently saw two clean GPX 5000’s sell locally for about $2300 US, as well as two GPZ’s for $5000 US...  all four appeared to be rather clean. But I am sure some of that was due to the economic situation we are facing in the region, I had to sell some of my own items too but luckily got back most of my investment for them.  Anyways, a used 6000 would be nice, but I am sure we won’t see good prices for those anytime soon!

I voted I'm on the fence.  Features like being lighter and more compact for hiking definitely have me interested, but $6,000 and not "needing" a new machine make me wonder.

I'm currently doing pretty well with my GPX 4500 + 17x13 NF Evo coil and concentrate on getting away from obvious areas and go after the larger indicator nuggets to tell me I'm in a good area.  I have 4 Doc's batteries and like covering ground and don't mind missing some of the small stuff.  Being sold in the USA with just 1 battery and without the 17" elliptical coil make me really think I'd be taking a step backward for capability.  I also question whether I'd want to "waste time" digging all of those .05-.1g nuggets and have less time to cover area and find that retirement nugget instead.  ☺️ 

• Like 1

I’m waiting on my trip back to OZ...

and the Taskmaster has one in the post....

i will keep my 5000/2300 combo in case out is a bust.

I can always catch him sleeping and snag  the 6—-🤠

• Haha 1

I will not be at this time as I am learning this hobby with my 800, and don't need to get more confused right now.

Maybe in a few years I might think about it, but I just can't see spending that kind of money for it.

Yes I will say it "I am cheap."

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Jasonj said:

With no discrimination, I certainly am not interested.   Sticking with the GPX 5000 for now.  

Just out of interest how often do people use discrimination on SD/GP/GPX?

For me it was very rarely even in trashy areas.  I won't miss it & didn't on the SDC/GPZ. Better EMI handling will be more of a bonus.

• Like 1