Poll - Who Is Getting A GPX 6000 And Who Is Not?

Poll - Who Is Getting A GPX 6000 And Who Is Not?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Trying To Get One, Not Getting One For Sure, Or On The Fence?

• I want a GPX 6000 and am trying to line one up now
    • I do not see anything here that interests me, will not be getting one
    • I’m just not sure, interested, but need more information

Quote ......I voted I'm on the fence.  Features like being lighter and more compact for hiking definitely have me interested, but $6,000 and not "needing" a new machine make me wonder.

How long would it take you to recover cost?  but you have to consider the befits of "instant expert" and weight and ease of use which is one of the forum owner main consideration.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AussieMatt said:

Just out of interest how often do people use discrimination on SD/GP/GPX?

For me it was very rarely even in trashy areas.  I won't miss it & didn't on the SDC/GPZ. Better EMI handling will be more of a bonus.

I don't miss true discrimination on the high end machines and it won't be possible with accuracy anyhow. But some sort of iron meter would be useful to have in principle, if used at discretion and with caution. However, for the VLF's discrimination can be a real gamer changer. Just yesterday I was in a large gold-rich river canyon here in the Motherlode country. About 20.000 miners were working in this canyon during the old days, with a railroad passing right through. There is SO much trash that hunting without some sort of discrimination is completely useless. The only machines that work there are the GM and the Nox 800. But I don't really discriminate, but rather use the iron meter to decide if I dig or not. Faint signals I scrape a bit until the iron meter gives a better reading. I guarantee you will have a miserable and awful day if you hunt there with the SDC/6000/7000! 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, AussieMatt said:

Just out of interest how often do people use discrimination on SD/GP/GPX?

For me it was very rarely even in trashy areas.  I won't miss it & didn't on the SDC/GPZ. Better EMI handling will be more of a bonus.

I did use discrimination on my GP3000 and also used dd coils, but that was my first PI detector and I had been using a white's gmt prior to the 3000.

I never once used the discrimination feature on my GPX 4000, 4500, and 5000 and never even used a dd coil on any of those machines. I used my ears as the discrimination, but most of the time just dug every target.

I voted need more info but in reality I think I like the idea of one VLF and one PI.

Will be a while before I get there though .

Maybe in time for a GPX/NOX Hybrid 6500 ......?

Voted do not see anything interesting.  In fact it is very interesting but, I have a 7000 and feel that it is good enough for me.  If I was 70 again I buy one.:laugh:   

• Like 1

Voted. I can’t t justify the $7999 price tag at this stage. Only way I can justify an upgrade is when I have found enough gold equivalent to price of detector. Did this with the GM found 11 gm with it before  upgrading to the SDC. Still got a long way to pay for the SDC. Stoked for those who have bought the 6000. Look forward to all the reviews.

• Like 1

I’m definitely getting the 6k; it’s the powerful, lightweight patch hunter I’ve been waiting for. Once a patch is located, I can bring in the Zed to do the heavy lifting.

• Like 9
4 minutes ago, Lunk said:

Once a patch is located, I can bring in the Zed to do the heavy lifting.

Absolutely!  

• Like 4

Seeing as I couldn`t talk JP into donating one or Phrunt into getting one, thus realizing I can`t rely on anyone I blew 3 and a bit ozs  and bought one.😉 Dealer said with a wink, he thought I showed much more restraint than usual. Buh tis hopeless when your a kid.

• Like 4

Had a chance to hold the 6000 today in my local store. Wow this machine is super lightweight to hold and swing. I mean gold monster lightweight. This should appeal to many detectorists. Makes my SDC feel like a real clunker. I have largish hands and found that my fingers were constantly resting on the ground balance button. Saying that I cannot see how minelab are asking $8,000 aud dollars for this machine. That is double the SDC and only $1,500 off the flagship 7000. Must have some super impressive technology under that tiny control box, but $8,000 bucks worth??