2 hours ago, geof_junk said:

You yank guys are wimps.😁 You try what us  Aussies have to put up with. ( just kidding)

I'm surprised you can go outdoors at all, and especially in the water.  You would play with our wolverines like they were fuzzy pets.  😁

They make a poison-ivy neutralizer now that you can buy at the drugstore (OtC) -- rub it on after you've been in the field.  Worst thing I've heard of is burning it and getting into the smoke where it can get into your eyes.  Joe D. mentioned a hospital visit.  Regular doctor's offices around here can give you a steroid shot which starts working in about 24 hours and has it gone pretty quickly after that.

West coast USA has poison oak which I think is an equally nasty cousin.

• Like 3

I did get a shot or two, cream, and a nice bill, as I recall! (30 + years ago)!

But my hands were totally blistered, like I had been burned! It's a good thing I didn't drink alot that day, or something else would have been blistered too!!😳🤣👍👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That was bad. I only had a rash and itching.

When I was in school I had a job with the DNR on a trout stream putting in logs on the curves. A friend there was really afraid of it and got poison ivy easy and bad. At the time I thought it was funny and pulled some out with gloves on and threw it in the river. He was going wild getting out of the river. Not so funny now looking back it. He was ok. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

No! Still funny!!

It's never stopped me from getting out there! Still love the woods! I'm just (a little) less reckless than in my younger years!! 🤣👍👍

• Like 3

I'd be more worried about stomping through giant hogweed. Still all pales to what the Aussies have to contend with. Watching tv and seeing them run terrified over funnel web spiders with half inch fangs!

• Like 1

Look's like Steve may need a new category on the site! "Dangerous Detecting Plants and animals!"😁 Everybody around the country, and world, seems to have some plants or animals that we aren't all aware of, that can do us harm while enjoying the hobby, or just traveling!!

Yikes! 🤯 I had no idea about the last two plants mentioned! I'm sure there are more! I think most are vigilant for animals! But plants that aren't obviously hazardous, are good to know!

Kac,

I've probably seen Giant Hogweed when traveling, but thankfully never touched it! We have a few such things in my area! But local knowledge does no good, when you travel!

Thanks!👍👍

• Like 1

I actually have some hogweed in back of my house, only reason I know is because I didn't know what it was. Never got any on me.

I do have a good amount of poison ivy front of my yard, I left that for one of  the neighbors that had a little fluffy dog that liked to sniff around it and leave treasures there. Ivy now keeps the owner and the dog away so there is a benifit to it 🙂

• Haha 1

Your a lucky man! You don't even need a detector to find treasures in your front yard!💩👍👍

• Haha 2

My grandmother once had poison Ivy once so bad that even her eyes were swollen shut. She used a product called Zanfel before it went to a lot of stores. The owner of the company sent it to her next day delivery, and she used it as directed. Within 2 hours she could see again and the swelling was almost gone, the areas that had blisters were clearing up also. By the end of the night she could not find any place that was very bad and there was no more discomfort. That product was the best I had ever seen, but with all good things, the FDA required them to "water down" their product and it made it less effective. It still works but you have to use more of it. The guy who invented it made it out of his garage until he got an offer to go into full production for another company.

Long story short is there are things out there to cure it, if our government just stays out of the way.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Your a lucky man! You don't even need a detector to find treasures in your front yard!💩👍👍

Still gotta dig. 😀 True though. Backyard too. Just wish I was finding more coins...

• Like 1