Ideas For Coil Options For Tesoro Mojave

So any of the 5 pin epsilon coils will work for it. Some of the Nel eliptical dd's might be good on on that. Depends on what you want to hunt.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kac said:

So any of the 5 pin epsilon coils will work for it. Some of the Nel eliptical dd's might be good on on that. Depends on what you want to hunt.

Thanks.   Not long after I first bought the mojave ( I bought it new from a dealer), it started to become chatty.  I sent it in to Tesoro and when they sent it back Rusty included a note saying that the coil had been bad and that they replaced it with a new one.  It seems now that it may be starting to do the same thing.   I rarely use it but did the other day after work and it was chatty again, but it could possibly have been EMI as I used it last night in my yard and it seemed ok.  However if I bump the coil or wiggle the coil wire where it’s attached to the coil it makes noise.   So I’m thinking I may try another coil, but I would like to get another concentric coil similar in size to the stock 7” coil.  How well do the smaller sized DD coils work?

• Like 1

I've done well with the 8x9 concentric especially in parks with bottle caps and trash but finding any concentric for a Tesoro is really tough. The 3rd party companies seem to only make dd's.

I currently swing the 10x12 widescan. Mars Tiger is probably the closest you will get to that. Nel has a sharp shooter that might be good but with all dd's, flat iron can give you fits in some cases and bit trickier to tell apart with a single tone machine but not impossible.

About the noise, does your machine chatter if you tap the side or wiggle the coil cable? See if your getting noise near the coil end or maybe it's the connection at the control box. One easy way to check for emi is by dropping the sensitivity down and see if that makes a difference.

The Tejon has all metal mode that I can clearly hear any fluttering from emi and the larger coil is more sensitive to that. At one point I had an odd flutter and thought it was emi but turned out to be the ground balance pot that I seemed to have fixed with some cleaner made for pots. The Mojave has an auto gb so doubt it would be that.

• Like 2

When I had a Tejon I only like the concentric coils for it. I didn't care for the dd coils on it but if you have mineralized ground you need to use dd coils.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kac said:

I've done well with the 8x9 concentric especially in parks with bottle caps and trash but finding any concentric for a Tesoro is really tough. The 3rd party companies seem to only make dd's.

I currently swing the 10x12 widescan. Mars Tiger is probably the closest you will get to that. Nel has a sharp shooter that might be good but with all dd's, flat iron can give you fits in some cases and bit trickier to tell apart with a single tone machine but not impossible.

About the noise, does your machine chatter if you tap the side or wiggle the coil cable? See if your getting noise near the coil end or maybe it's the connection at the control box. One easy way to check for emi is by dropping the sensitivity down and see if that makes a difference.

The Tejon has all metal mode that I can clearly hear any fluttering from emi and the larger coil is more sensitive to that. At one point I had an odd flutter and thought it was emi but turned out to be the ground balance pot that I seemed to have fixed with some cleaner made for pots. The Mojave has an auto gb so doubt it would be that.

When it was giving me fits on Friday at a site where I work, it may have mostly been emi as I turned the sensitivity down to 4 and it was less chatty.  When I took it out in my yard the next day it ran a lot quieter, but would make noise when I bumped the coil or wiggled the coil wire protector where it comes out of the coil.  My vaquero is dead silent until the coil is over something, but it doesn’t have the 180 ed disc so maybe that has something to do with it.  I usually set my disc just above iron on both machines.  

• Like 1

Thats good news.

Larger coils are more sensitive to emi, there are areas I can't run my Tejon without a heavy wobble in the threshold. This makes the the disc mode a little skippy.

I live in WA, along the Columbia River, and my local native soils are highly mineralized. In certain areas my Mojave is more chatty, almost unusable, than my Silver regardless of coil selection; might be EMI but not likely given the rural locations? 
I have owned 11 Tesoro models (4 & 5 pin) and tried nearly every coil option over the last 12yrs searching for that perfect combo for my ground.
My Mojave is paired with a 3x18 cleansweep coil 95% of the time and I use it for tot lots & sports fields for shallow drops.  I also use the stock 7 and concentric 4 occasionally when I'm curious if other machines have missed a nonferrous target in an iron infested site but feel either the Silver or Outlaw are better suited, in my soil, for iron discrimination-separation.
I will always own one or more Tesoro's; simple beep-dig fun and possibly the best iron separator in my ground.

• Like 2