GPX 6000...... Nope, Staying With My Sdgp 5600

Tony

Wow, they are both super clean. I have the same two in the collection, but mines a 2100e. Nice carbon shafts!

Well spotted Nenad......the carbon uppers save quite a bit of weight. I may go carbon on the lower shafts but probably not needed.

I’ve got two unused Minelab Super Gold Search 11” monos as well plus two 11” DD coils if needed. 

Keep the monos on whenever you can.......”go big or go home” 😎

• Like 2

• The title was changed to GPX 6000...... Nope, Staying With My Sdgp 5600

I hate hype.

Now every ML detector has had a 20% increase in performance in their hype. If they mean for a nugget that the SD2000 could get at 6" deep (the norm for VLF detectors.) Then  SD2000 gets 100% so SD2100 gets 120% and the  SD2200 gets 144% and the GP extreme gets 173% and the GP3000 gets 207% and the GPX4000 gets 248% and the GPX 4500 gets and the GPX5000 298%  and the GPZ7000 358%  in depth over 3½ times deeper than the SD2000. This is not the fact as I got a 5 oz specimen 19+ inches deep (with an old VLF 1980) if this was the case the GPZ7000 would have to detect it at 66½ inches or over 5½ feet deep most wimps today would quit at 3 ft and the power required to achieve this would exceed 2000 times that of the SD2000 and it battery would be dead flat in a few minutes. However ML would not lie so the thing is that they are using a yard stick that is different than most people think. MY way of thinking is that they are comparing the worst case scenario of the previous detector with that which the new model excels in. So when you look at advertising details keep this in mine.  There appears to be some excellent improvements  in the GPX6000 that would be of high advantage for me that I would consider but not yet.

• Like 2

Agree completely.......maybe the depth results were concocted in a lab somewhere....Minelab don’t need to be economical with the truth as the detectors speak for themselves. I’m also happy to miss smaller ones if I stand a better chance of the bigger ones.......the 2100 and 3500 with the 18” Monos do serve this purpose well.

Having said all that.....I would happily swing a 6000 if it was proven that I’ll not give up the chance of missing bigger and deeper ones. Has this been the trend of later machines and their timings ?

• 2 months later...

The difference in the amt. of gold found with the 6000 over a sd used with a GM1000s not enough to justify the $. JMO

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 10:12 AM, Hobo said:

The difference in the amt. of gold found with the 6000 over a sd used with a GM1000s not enough to justify the $. JMO

Actual cost on the 'labs aint that bad if you consider they hold a good resale value.  Your "rental" cost is the difference what you paid for it, minus sold for.  Some even come out richer on the resale. 

As long as you can cover the initial investment, then you just keep flipping the $ to the next model. Sell old model, add a couple grand to cover cost, and your off to the diggings.   1 or 2 oz always pays off the detector and you have peace of mind being covered under warranty,  as they always seem to break something.

• Like 2