Jamming Metal Detector Use

35 minutes ago, WhiteRabbit said:

Oh, regarding cameras.

They are just no deterrent. People cover their faces, police are often slow to respond to such crimes and archaeologists don’t usually have the funds to finance private security. 

Saying that, three people were recently identified from footage taken with wildcams during the day after their mugshots were plastered all over Facebook.

For sure police are too slow to respond, my county has a 45 minute response time because we have so few of them. We have a few options here, so it is still safe.

However, my cameras have not only identified suspected home invaders, but they also cause early "turnarounds" in my half mile driveway. I see the turn marks almost weekly. Takes em a few seconds to realize they should have smiled. 😀 There are flash options to let there be no mistake.

Sorry to see so much disrespect for the law and decorum in general where you are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhiteRabbit said:

I have thought about scattering aluminium scrap all over the place, but you can’t do this on historic sites as it would contaminate the archaeology.

I know that this is used to protect those historic areas here. Very effective. And when it comes to archeological research they remove the cover layer with the scrap metal and do their job, as the first layer of soil has to be removed anyway. Effective, cheap, and very annoying for the tomb raider.

• Like 3

Honestly guys, you can’t go dumping half a tonne of scrap metal on a dig like this:

https://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/news/people/in-pictures-amazing-aerial-views-of-scarborough-roman-villa-hailed-as-world-first-3205827?fbclid=IwAR1ESXSUnS0A4a-rLDy6xrNYx_mEI_Ge7pGp1n10MHF8Xsfj0MZRZ9760eM

That is an absolutely amazing site! It seems like there should be volunteer organizations that could monitor and protect historic sites like that and work with the land owners to help provide security while increasing the property values at the same time. I know that's a lot to ask of people these days.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kac said:

That's a huge area to protect, is it even fenced in?

I think it is, but I’ve never found a fence I can’t climb (though I must admit that I am a climber). I heard that the “fence was damaged”, so I assume it was a chain link job and someone has just taken some wirecutters, or simply jacked the bottom up and crawled under.

Fences are no deterrent if someone is determined.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

That is an absolutely amazing site! It seems like there should be volunteer organizations that could monitor and protect historic sites like that and work with the land owners to help provide security while increasing the property values at the same time. I know that's a lot to ask of people these days.

I’m considering exactly this as I’m getting pretty heavily involved in archaeology.

Just built a fully autonomous archaeological survey vehicle with all kinds of funky tools for a neighbour who happens to be Britain’s leading / one of the world leading authorities on archaeological landscape surveying (he’s a big name, I’m not, not trying to sound clever here).

I’m also a passionate detectorist and so have a boot firmly in both camps; professional archaeology (by association) and treasure hunting. There’s a rift between the two and I’m just trying to get both sides talking to each other. Over here there’s a real snobbery in academic/ pro archaeology and metal detecting tends to be despised in these circles. Yet, I always argue that no amount of academic reading and reasoning would have ever unearthed (say) The Staffordshire Hoard. Some Viking was under attack and stashed his loot in a chest under a tree in a forest that was cut down 1,000 years ago and that chest is now in the middle of a farmers field which he ploughs 3 times a year, then sprays fertiliser all over it (which corrodes metal). 

Its nice to hear that the farmer and the detectorist are £1.5M richer each and that the local museum has a hoard to display. No archaeology destroyed either. 

Win times four.

Nighthawks bring us detectorists into disrepute and nobody knows our machines better than us detectorists. 

Hence my question 🙂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

1. For sure police are too slow to respond...

2. Takes em a few seconds to realize they should have smiled 😄

3. Sorry to see so much disrespect for the law and decorum in general where you are.

1. In Britain this just depends on the crime. Violence tends to be dealt with quickly, but calling the police and reporting someone with a metal detector may, or may not, get a timely response. Very much depends. There was a border dispute between neighbours in my village and voices got raised. The police were called over reports of an argument and 6 officers (a car and a van) turned up within 10 minutes. 

2. Love. That. 😄

3. It only takes a tiny minority to ruin things for the majority. If we have 20,000 detectorists in Britain and 99.9% of them are perfectly honest, then you’ve still got enough people to do some serious, highly visible damage.

• Like 1

My guess it is a hand ful of people doing the crime at best. Maybe planting some fakes and let them steal those and try to fence them will build some mistrust with their buyers.

• Like 1