15” Coil Cable Wiggle Test

bklein

Midalake - I run enough threshold to listen for dropouts in it.  Gives you an indication there’s something unique under the coil.

kac - I wouldn’t say I’m happy with the 11” coil either but probably would prefer it due to lighter weight.  The 15” is sensitive to small enough targets, goes deep but the 11” was deep enough.  Don’t particularly like digging shaggy sharp pop cans 15” deep.  Haven’t found any worthwhile targets with it that deep. I will do same more checking for cracks as time permits.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bklein said:

Midalake - I run enough threshold to listen for dropouts in it.  Gives you an indication there’s something unique under the coil.

kac - I wouldn’t say I’m happy with the 11” coil either but probably would prefer it due to lighter weight.  The 15” is sensitive to small enough targets, goes deep but the 11” was deep enough.  Don’t particularly like digging shaggy sharp pop cans 15” deep.  Haven’t found any worthwhile targets with it that deep. I will do same more checking for cracks as time permits.

Well again, in your smattering of settings no one ,not even Minelab recommends them at the beach.  It would not be an issue if you were happy. 

However you are clearly disappointed in noise and other detector issues. It IS because of your settings.  I suspect you are not willing to change and will not be effective at the beach.

I hope you are able to get a different 11" coil and compare it to the current one on recommended beach settings. Good Luck.     

I changed ALL settings each outing to try and improve what is happening.  Ground balance types, recovery speed, beach one or two, sensitivity down to 17. Iron bias originally used defaults, then switched to F2 zero.

Check out the sounds on this video when he steps on the quarter.  (Just came out yesterday) This kind of sounds is quite common. Impractical to keep turning in circles to qualify them.  On no good target days it’s like this.  Kind of makes me toss up my hands.

5 hours ago, midalake said:

Cracks or cracked off areas around coil ears would not cause falsing or sensitivity issues.   Dave

If the epox is cracked internally where the ears are it can cause falsing.

My suggestion is if the 11" coil works fine and the 15 falses, send it back to ML.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bklein said:

Check out the sounds on this video when he steps on the quarter.  (Just came out yesterday) This kind of sounds is quite common. Impractical to keep turning in circles to qualify them.  On no good target days it’s like this.  Kind of makes me toss up my hands.

What am I supposed to learn from this vid???  PS I do not hunt the dry sand much unless I am called into it to find something..

What we know. We know he Equinox has issues with targets on edge. We know when you open a hole the Equinox has issues with seeing the target especially if the hole fills with water. 

In the vid, the person doing it is swinging the coil too fast to see if the target single rings or double rings in horseshoe mode. This is why coil control is so important.

I do not know the rest of his settings it would of been nice of him to share. 

Impractical to keep turning circles to qualify a target, you say?  I say you will never know what a fringe target is for sure unless you circle it in horseshoe mode.  Actually this vid kind of proves that. Now mind you not every target needs 360. 

I tend not to dig a lot of trash. I do agree with his thought, NOTHING, and again NOTHING is the same on a salt beach with black sand and water. 

In my opinion, the number in the read out is only so good. As in depth good. Once a target gets to a certain depth it will not read well.

THIS is why I advocate one tone at the beach. TO HEAR THE TARGET, and to DECIDE Ferrous and Non Ferrous.  Ferrous stays in the ground, non ferrous comes out regardless of what it is telling me. 

You seem to be quite hung-up on what you might miss. You should be more concerned about what you CAN RECOVER. 

5 minutes ago, kac said:

If the epox is cracked internally where the ears are it can cause falsing.

My suggestion is if the 11" coil works fine and the 15 falses, send it back to ML.

Are you talking about the shell of the coil that holds the epoxy compound that the coil components are set into is cracked? 

How would you see an internal crack?  Do you have a Picture as example?  

I had broken coil ears with no falsing issues.  Guess I need to know what you are looking at? 

I'm saying it is possible that the epoxy could be cracked and you may not be able to see it. I had a hairline crack in my coil that was barely visible. If the coil worked before and now it falses and the stock coil works fine then I would call ML and have it checked out and replaced.

As tough as we think these coils are they can break and it doesn't always take much.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/11494-cracked-my-dd-coil/

9 hours ago, bklein said:

If you are hunting with all targets accepted in Beach 1 or Beach 2, using the threshold included in those modes will not let you hear anything important except for maybe a change in the ground conditions. It is a reference threshold only, meaning it will drop out when you swing the coil over a rejected target ID. If you aren’t rejecting any targets, there is no point in using it. If you are rejecting the iron range.......that is certainly one way to not have to hear a lot of iron sand iron grunts.

Unless Minelab did an update I don’t know about.......the only modes that have anything resembling an old fashioned threshold where the threshold tone will help to slightly “amplify” really deep targets just past the depth of detection by either boosting their signal or by dropping out over them are the Gold Modes.

Running in Beach 1 or 2 at an iron sand beach in 50 tones with a threshold tone with all targets accepted (horseshoe button depressed) with a low recovery speed and a minimum amount of iron bias would drive me nuts especially if I wasn’t ground balancing or using tracking ground balance.

• Like 2

Ok next time: reset machine, one tone, tracking ground balance, recovery speed 1, beach 1, no threshold, FE2 2 is default, sensitivity 17, horseshoe off (no iron grunts). I’ll show a photo of all the rings I get.

• Like 1

In Beach 1 and Beach 2, default recovery speed is 3 on the 600. Switching recovery speed to 1 might get you an extra 3/4" in depth. It might also mean that you will miss that deeper target on edge completely if you set it on 1.  Personally, I would keep the recovery speed on 2 or 3 on a beach with lots of black sand

• Like 1