15” Coil Cable Wiggle Test

bklein

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

In Beach 1 and Beach 2, default recovery speed is 3 on the 600. Switching recovery speed to 1 might get you an extra 3/4" in depth. It might also mean that you will miss that deeper target on edge completely if you set it on 1.  Personally, I would keep the recovery speed on 2 or 3 on a beach with lots of black sand

Just to back up what Jeff said. I spent a whole year comparing targets with the user program. Regular program IB 6 Recovery 6.  User program IB 3 Recovery 4.  Almost never did the user program change my mind on digging. When it did NOT ONE target of value was recovered. 

I really find the BETTER guide is single ring or double ring as I have been discussing.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bklein said:

Ok next time: reset machine, one tone, tracking ground balance, recovery speed 1, beach 1, no threshold, FE2 2 is default, sensitivity 17, horseshoe off (no iron grunts). I’ll show a photo of all the rings I get.

What part of the beach are you working?  Wet sand? Then beach 2.  If you are going to try the whole style, then set to Whatever is FE6 equivalent.

Hunt in HORSESHOE mode.  This should accomplish two things 1. a higher sensitivity. 2. The ability to hear every target and automatic sorting of iron by double rings and VDI numbers.  Remember to dig all single ringing targets at depth regardless of what the readout says. 

With the problems you have been having I would bring a hard wired set of headphones with you. 

I have on average about 1 metal target for every two-three swings. What is your beach like?  Dave

• Like 1

Ok I can run in horseshoe mode - I actually prefer it. However, beach 2 I question as I saw that it saw less targets - although maybe these were bad targets.   It was weird how different it was from beach 1 in tone and VID.  I don’t normally pay much attention to VID as it is jumping around so much on marginal targets.

12 hours ago, bklein said:

Ok I can run in horseshoe mode - I actually prefer it. However, beach 2 I question as I saw that it saw less targets - although maybe these were bad targets.   It was weird how different it was from beach 1 in tone and VID.  I don’t normally pay much attention to VID as it is jumping around so much on marginal targets.

If your in wet sand running beach 2 horseshoe mode, it is not less targets but less falsing. Yes the VDI will start to jump on deep targets, however it will give you groups. The best way is single or double ring on deep targets.   

When you get over targets.  Swing slow to see if they double ring. I highly suggest you take a bobby pin and nail with you to test the sweep speed for that double ring. 

Stay away from that water contact until you feel up to speed. 

I was able to try the detector at Laguna a couple days ago for only a couple hours.  Horseshoe mode on you hear black sand areas as targets. Horseshoe mode off I didn’t hear any targets at all.  I did get some coin targets in areas without the black sand.  I took some videos that show the black sand behavior I could post - but does this sound normal?

1 hour ago, bklein said:

I was able to try the detector at Laguna a couple days ago for only a couple hours.  Horseshoe mode on you hear black sand areas as targets. Horseshoe mode off I didn’t hear any targets at all.  I did get some coin targets in areas without the black sand.  I took some videos that show the black sand behavior I could post - but does this sound normal?

In the black sand where I hunt, black sand is easily heard differently as interference.  What sensitivity?  I think you need to find someone use that has an Equinox to compare. Or get a different coil to test. 

So, just some observations from your excellent video on a very iron sand rich beach.......I could not tell if you were in Beach 1 or Beach 2. Did you try both in that damp sand? Did you ground balance your Equinox or just use 0? Do you get the same results with your 11” coil?

in your video your sensitivity is above default 20, most of your black sand target responses are -9 and -8, your depth meter on those black sand targets is basically pegged and you are swinging really fast.

All I can say is if you are getting that strong a response from the black sand at that beach you may need to compromise on your settings.

Do you want to hear actual targets or mostly hear tiny iron sand targets that are reading 8 to 12” in depth because they are so small? The extreme sensitivity for small targets that the Equinox has is a really good thing but it can cause issues like you are running into. Turning up the sensitivity is just going to amplify the ground noise even more and make it really hard to tell if you have a real target. Swinging really fast is also not going to help you pick up actual coin sized targets in those conditions.

So, I would lower the sensitivity enough that most of your target responses will be actual targets and the tiny iron sand targets will not be heard as much along with swinging slower. You can also compromise by rejecting -9 and -8 or so and hunt with every other target ID accepted to eliminate much of the ground noise and still hear actual targets. You can also hunt in 2 tones with your ferrous/non-ferrous tone break set at zero.......... I would take a US nickel and a dime, bury them at 6” or so and see how they sound and how they respond with that setup. Can you lower the sensitivity enough to eliminate most of the ground noise and still hear 2 direction, repeatable responses from those buried coins with enough non-ferrous responses to know that your target is non-ferrous even though you may have a few responses in negative numbers on those coins which may be either rejected (-9,-8) or in the iron range IDs that are still accepted?

• Like 5