How Does The 15x12'' Equinox Coil Compare To The 15'' Coiltek Coil?

Since the 15'' Coiltek coil for Equinox detectors has been out for a while, I'm wondering if there have been any meaningful comparisons? Especially regarding sensitivity and depth.. Any feedback would be much appreciated.. 😁

• Like 1

I have had the Coiltek 15" out a few times.  I hope to run some pure comparisons in wild dig settings this coming weekend between the ML 15 and the CT 15.  My initial impression after a few isolated hunts, I didn't notice any improvement over the ML, but wasn't running them head to head.  I found it a little more difficult to pinpoint, though the wiggle back method was accurate off the front and back of center.   I will post my findings when I have some direct comparison results.  ~Tim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

I will post my findings when I have some direct comparison results. 

Thanks a lot Tiftaaft.. I've been hesitating in buying one, they're expensive and I don't want to rush into it like I normally do.. 

I've had both but not at the same time. Got rid of both too. Although I didn't compare them head to head at the same time. I do have a coin garden I ran both of them through and spend hours changing settings and modes to optimize depth. In either case the bigger coils got very little depth advantage over the stock 11" in my soil on a dime sized target.

If I had to chose I think I would go with the ML 12 x 15 coil just because it's a little lighter. The only reason I can see getting a bigger coil for the Equinox is for ground coverage. Unlike a PI, I generally see very little depth advantage with bigger coils in my soil. I have not used the bigger Equinox coils on a beach. But I would assume they would act similar to the FBS machines in that low mineral beaches you do see depth advantages but black sand beaches you see very little and sometimes worse performance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

Thanks a lot Tiftaaft.. I've been hesitating in buying one, they're expensive and I don't want to rush into it like I normally do.. 

I should mention my hunting is mostly turf, looks like you are a beach hunter Erik.  Abenson and others will be able to speak more to the beach performance... which I will be taking note of as well - as I am planning on increasing my beach hunts this year on the Gulf Coast of Texas.  ~Tim.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

Gerry from Idaho who is on this forum did a interview with coiltek which you can  find on you tube.In part 3 he talks about how to use the 15'' coil and what it can do.

This one?

Thanks a lot Dances with Wolves and GB_Amateur.. Gerry's video is exactly what i was looking for, it answers my questions in great depth.. Thank you Gerry! 

• Like 1

I might be speaking out of my bum here, so please do correct me if I’m wrong, but this is the understanding I have of coils like Minelab’s Equinox 12” x 15” coil, and Minelab’s CTX-3030 13” x 17” coil as well as other tapered coils in general. We shouldn’t expect much in the way of depth increase because in reality the 12” x 15” is really just a 15” long 12” coil, and the 13” x 17” is really just a 17” long 13” coil. Where we see increased performance with such coils would be in ground coverage. Indeed that’s the performance characteristics I’ve noted with such coils. Very little depth increase, but better ground coverage. Although I don’t have the coiltek round 15” I would expect it should provide better depth than the minelab option in addition to the ground coverage. This is in theory anyway, and it gets even more complicated than that because larger coils can lose sensitivity and depth to small objects like coins and gain on larger objects like some relics (buckles for example). 

• Like 3