How Does The 15x12'' Equinox Coil Compare To The 15'' Coiltek Coil?

15 hours ago, glacialgold said:

1) This thing is A BEAST to swing. Even after shortening the shaft a couple inches, I'd've had to change swing arms if I went much longer.

This seems to be a common theme with 15" round DD's on today's under 4 lb IB/VLF detectors.  I have two of that size (one is a Nel Attack for Fisher Gold Bug Pro; the other is a 3 kHz Coiltek for the Minelab X-Terra 705) and I've hardly used them, at least partly because of their dead weight.

15 hours ago, glacialgold said:

2) Pinpointing is a challenge. Needs practice on my end, that's all I can say so far.

I'm with you on that, too.  I have the Minelab 12"x15" for the Equinox, which isn't as heavy as my just mentioned 15" rounds but searching on sloped ground where more muscle is required does make things extra hard on my back.  For me (certainly not speaking for others) the time saved with the 15" sweep path (think "windshield wiper coverage") is offset by the extra time it takes me to pinpoint and investigate the target, compared to the 11" DD stock coil.

Coiltek has earned a deserved strong reputation for their many coils over the years.  But the 15" round DD for the Equinox is a head-scratcher for many given its overlap with the already (at the time of its release) available 12"x15".  Their 9"x14" DD Nox is a toe smasher as well but there was thought that this one was intended for underwater use where extra weight offsets coil buoyancy.  The third Nox coil they made has been a widely praised winner, though -- 5"x10" DD.

• Like 1

As i all ready had the ML 15x12 coil i could see no reason to buy the CT one as basically i would be doubling up and also heavier into the bargain,so glad that i did not purchase the 15'' round coil.

Must admit although i have had my Nox for may be 4 years or so,have never really liked it,it just does not do anything for me,although i wont sell it as it could come in handy for the odd days beach detecting etc,but decided to put the 15x12 ML coil back on it and run it in 4khz for when i am on pasture sites and i get a gut a gut feeling that items could be slighly deeper and also the ground coverage especially when i am on a club dig and we only have say 8 hours to hit the site then that is when the larger coil earns its keep.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

This seems to be a common theme with 15" round DD's on today's under 4 lb IB/VLF detectors.  I have two of that size (one is a Nel Attack for Fisher Gold Bug Pro; the other is a 3 kHz Coiltek for the Minelab X-Terra 705) and I've hardly used them, at least partly because of their dead weight.

The weight difference was especially pronounced because I'd previously had the Nox rigged out with the 6" coil. Jumping up to the CT 15" was just...wow.

I'm going to keep practicing with it, mainly to build my stength up and get better at pinpointing (if possible). I view it as a useful tool to have in the inventory, especially for areas that are low trash and few and far between on targets. My family also has a farm up north dating back to the late 1850s, so this coil would be a good fit for covering acreage there.

And finally, new toys are fun! 

• Like 1