By Dances With Doves
They have the coil molds for a 9'' coil from the X-terra which is a waterproof coil and one that I never broke the ears off.I have all 3 of the 9'' concentric coils for the X-terra and liked the 18kz the best because it was good on gold.Maybe this machine is like the T2 and can't handle a concentric coil.They also have a 6'' coil mold which would be nice for small gold if this machine could use a concentric coil.Could a concentric make this machine even better in iron?
I own an Equinox 800. I've had it as one of the first ones in the United States and was the first one to find gold nuggets with it after Steve H who found his during testing. I now have 6, 11 and 15 inch coils. None of them has had a 'coil ear' problem.
When the Equinox came out with this particular coil design I was very disappointed and knew it was only a matter of time before coil ears would break. How did I know this? It is because I had coil ears break on my 17" CTX 3030 many years ago. At the time the ears broke I didn't even know what to call them. I tried to heat and melt them back into position. I tried every glue and epoxy and it would still re-break.
I was on another forum at the time and some suggest an individual who made a 'yoke' out of space age rubber. You see the problem with my ears was that they just did not flex enough to let me tighten the coil to keep it from flopping around. The ears broke laterally just above the coil.
The first yoke I received from the guy was not really very good. It was designed to be glued on to the broken coil after you smoothed off the old ears. A few months later the guy in New York sent me his next fix and it still works today. You attach that yoke to the detector with plastic ties. I haven't had any problems. Maybe some of you have fixed your coils the same way.
Coil ear bracing has been the subject of numerous posts so I thought I'd add my approach. Yes, I've used several different designs of stiffeners and sad to say, my coil ears still cracked and I was out of business until I could replace the coil. Fortunately, those coils were still under warranty. My concern was finding a way to prevent this recurring after the warranty expired.
The ultimate solution is, without doubt, for Minelab to field a redesigned coil ear that is a lot tougher than the current design. Failing that, the best approach in my opinion is to epoxy the stiffener to the coil making the stiffener, the coil and the ears one solid unit. Midalake has done this and as I see it, ensures a solid repair. My concern with this approach would be two fold. One, would that void whatever warranty remains and two, if the coil is sent to Minelab for replacement, there goes the stiffener.
I wanted a method by which I could attach the stiffener to the coil, be able to remove it if necessary and still use the coil cover.
mn90403 has done this as shown on another post within this forum by using zip ties. A workable approach but his method shows the zip ties over the coil cover so you couldn't remove the cover to clean the coil without cutting the ties. Having said that, his system will work as he intended.
I thought I'd share my approach which I've found to be simple yet effective in accomplishing my goals. The key is making the ear stiffener one with the coil so even if the ears snap, the stiffener holds the coil and shaft in place. I decided to use zip ties but in a somewhat different way than mn90403. I wanted the stiffener to be solidly attached and still be able to remove and replace the skid plate.
I threaded the zip tie through and around the stiffener and bare coil without the skid plate attached. I then installed the skid plate over the coil as before covering the zip ties. The skid plate remains in place, the stiffener is solidly attached to the coil and there is no modification to the coil which risks voiding the warranty and if I have to return the coil, I can save the stiffener. Bottom line; with this approach, even if the ears break, I'm still in business.
It works for me....
I had one coil that had a cable that was badly sun burnt and brittle. A bit of heat shrink and tape fixed it, but looked nasty. The Snake Skinz covered the mess nicely. Looks like a useful solution to a common problem. Probably will fit most coils, certaily good camo for repairs. All the best.