GPX 6000 All I Want To Know Is

Crikey, JP I agree with you, you must be learninšŸ¤ŖĀ I`m a non-scrubber if possible too.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

to deal with salt you will need to use the DD coil and that means a heavier coil, but wow is it sensitive to small surface gold, and I do mean WOW šŸ˜³Ā 

Thanks for the tips JP!!

Having read some of the patents that I think refer to GeoSense, would I be correct in assuming that the DD is actually a very important tool for the 6000? Rather than doing what some people (who havent even used it!!) are saying "Imagine having to go back to DD's....just throw it away and get the 17 mono"?

I think that there is some magic happening under the hood that means the 6000 is perhaps more susceptible to EMI than say a 5000, so the DD becomes very much needed at times.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I presume youā€™re spending a lot of your time in Normal timings then Steve? šŸ¤” (Indicative of the ground youā€™re working) Ā And your right itā€™s vital that a wide variety of ground types are accessed during field testing. šŸ‘Ā The GPX11ā€ mono will handleĀ salt better than the 7000 because it is a smaller coil than the GPZ14. But when the ground is wet or its a very conductive/salty area the only choice will be the DD coil. šŸ˜ŠĀ 

Tip: šŸ˜Š

• Difficult has just as much sensitivity andĀ depth as Normal on the smaller sub gramĀ targets.šŸ§

Please note: A lot of Ā our OBP customers read this forum so think of my advice as being Ā generally aimed at Australian conditions and users and Steves advice for the US conditions etc.

Letā€™s just say we have different ground. I recommend high mineral, big gold people lean to JP, low mineral, small gold folksĀ Ā to me. Our observations and recommendations will be different. AnyĀ doubt, see Steveā€™s Insane GPZ Setting.

Iā€™m not saying you will never need DD coil, but Iā€™m also saying a 6000 with 11ā€ mono handles my salt ground better than a GPZ with stock coil. Is that because the coil is smaller? Of course. Does not change the fact that out of box, Iā€™d rather run a 6000 with 11ā€ mono in salt than a GPZ with stock coil. OnĀ my ground, the GPZ with stock coil acts more like the 6000 with 17ā€ mono.

The DD is not because the 6000 is inherently worse at salt or EMI, but that if either of those things stop what you have now.... it wonā€™t stop a 6000. Yes, there is a performance hit, but if what you are doing is failing 100%, then itā€™s better than that. Thatā€™s the whole point. You never put the DD on unless it will help you,Ā not hurt you. You will know when that is because you will want to toss detector in ditch. With 6000, put on DD, problem solved. But no problem, no DD coil.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, kingswood said:

Thanks for the tips JP!!

Having read some of the patents that I think refer to GeoSense, would I be correct in assuming that the DD is actually a very important tool for the 6000? Rather than doing what some people (who havent even used it!!) are saying "Imagine having to go back to DD's....just throw it away and get the 17 mono"?

I think that there is some magic happening under the hood that means the 6000 is perhaps more susceptible to EMI than say a 5000, so the DD becomes very much needed at times.

The GPX 6000 is an extremely early sampling PI, as such it will react to salt signals because salt effects detectors that early sample (VLF are very bad for salt signals too). Early sampling is kind of like higher frequency which is also affected by salt so in the case of the GPZ the High Yield timings suffer the most because of both these scenarios.Ā 

The way to deal with salt is to

• Slow the coil speed down (salt is swing speed dependant)
  • Have a faster motion filter like high freq VLF detectors do (Recovery)
  • Use smaller coils
  • A dedicated coil that can cancel salt signals out which is the method used for extreme salt conditions with the GPX 6000.

The GPX14 DD coilĀ is an amazing blend of size for best depth and sensitivity due to the way the GPX 6000ā€™s Cancel and SaltĀ Tx and Rx modes work. If a DD coil is 14 inches in sizeĀ then effectively it has a 7ā€ Tx and a 7ā€ Rx which is way smaller that the supplied 11ā€ monoloop. As such the DD will hit on tiny surface targets a lotĀ better than the 11ā€ mono if the gold is shallow, but the 11ā€ mono will have more outright depth.Ā 

JP

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Letā€™s just say we have different ground. I recommend high mineral, big gold people lean to JP, low mineral, small gold folksĀ folks to me. Our observations and recommendations will be different. AnyĀ doubt, see Steveā€™s Insane GPZ Setting.

Iā€™m not saying you will never need DD coil, but Iā€™m also saying a 6000 with 11ā€ mono handles my salt ground better than a GPZ with stock coil. Is that because the coil is smaller? Of course. Does not change the fact that out of box, Iā€™d rather run a 6000 with 11ā€ mono in salt than a GPZ with stock coil. OnĀ my ground, the GPZ with stock coil acts more like the 6000 with 17ā€ mono.

The DD is not because the 6000 is inherently worse at salt or EMI, but that if either of those things stop what you have now.... it wonā€™t stop a 6000. Yes, there is a performance hit, but if what you are doing is failing 100%, then itā€™s better than that. Thatā€™s the whole point. You never put the DD on unless it will help you,Ā not hurt you. You will know when that is because you will want to toss detector in ditch. With 6000, put on DD, problem solved. But no problem, no DD coil.

Hey Steve, for a such a simple turn on a go machine we sure are finding a lot of diversity in the ways to use theĀ GPX 6000Ā so early on. šŸ˜ŠĀ Ā I still remember that quiet ground raked spot I took you too in WA and you showed me the way you use a Gold Bug, that was an eye opener and I learned a lot that day. šŸ˜‚ I never could master the bulldozing technique you showed me, but you sure did sniff out some tiny pieces on the ground.

Ā 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Initial impression - love it.Ā  I'll get a pic up in a moment.Ā Ā 

I donā€™t see how anyone could not like it,Ā just swinging it and listening to it. Yeah, I know, wear headphones... except I donā€™t anymore. The speaker is so loud it literally vibrates the speaker grill at full volumeĀ No harness, no bungee, no headphones... you may not find gold, but youā€™ll be comfortable doing it!Ā :laugh::laugh:

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Hey Steve, for a such a simple turn on a go machine we sure are finding a lot of diversity in the ways to use theĀ GPX 6000Ā so early on. šŸ˜ŠĀ Ā I still remember that quiet ground raked spot I took you too in WA and you showed me the way you use a Gold Bug, that was an eye opener and I learned a lot that day. šŸ˜‚ I never could master the bulldozing technique you showed me, but you sure did sniff out some tiny pieces on the ground.

Ā 

Been bulldozing a lot with the 11ā€ mono. Get a speck nearer the winding, bang! And yes, in the right ground little invisible hot rocks will make it impossible, but here at least Iā€™m good.Ā Guys here will love it, but gimme that 6x10 scrubber also please.Ā :smile:

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

No harness, no bungee, no headphones... you may not find gold, but youā€™ll be comfortable doing it!Ā :laugh:

My shoulders are literally writing minelab a thank you letter as we speak :).....

Cant wait for Saturday to finally get this thing out thru its paces!!.....Its been a long week at work already while knowing what is in my cupboard!!!

• Like 4

GPZ owner and hopefully a 6000 owner as soon as the bank balance allows. I was fortunate enough to have a go with one and it sold me simply on the ergonomics of the machine and the way it pinged the small bits. Clear crisp signals nearly every time.Ā 

The nitpickers honestly donā€™t know what theyā€™re missing and I reckon their mind would be changed the moment they pick a 6000 up.

Ā 

Some great write ups here once again.

• Like 3