1962 Franklin Half

Very nice find and it cleaned up really well.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Β  Β Ditto what VL said! The foil and vinegar did a great job! Thanks for the info, and pics!πŸ‘πŸ‘

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I think (the Franklin Half) has been there a long time but it didn't dark tarnish like the other coins.

50+ years?  Most silver coins had disappeared by around 1970 because their bullion value exceded face value.  And since Franklins were never minted in clad (unlike Roosies and Washies 😏) they were especially easy to notice and remove.  Could this coin have remained 'high and dry' in the sand, seldom ever experiencing salt water?

I suspect Franklin halves are harder to find than Walking Liberty halves, due partly to their shorter time in circulation.Β  Their mintages weren't high, either, relative to the earlier design, unlike their smaller denomination brethren.

Nice find; I'm envious!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This find was in an area of the beach where no tide has been in many, many years but as you can see from a couple of the clad dimes that I found and even the nearby penny the mineralization does make them much darker.Β  I think it was a drop and it has been missed all of these years.

Β 

Hello Mitchel.Β Congrats on your dry sand silver half. πŸ‘πŸΌΒ I vaguelyΒ remember your username from years ago (maybe on a different forum ??....it’s been a while). I hunt mostly turf, Β and detected my local beaches for many a year south of you.

HH,
Dan

• Like 1

Congrats on the '62D half. Great job cleaning it up too. Halves always come up unexpectedly. No Aluminum can this time!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Congrats on the '62D half. Great job cleaning it up too. Halves always come up unexpectedly. No Aluminum can this time!

I think I could clean it up a bit more but it would still be a common but it has such a good feel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raphis said:

Hello Mitchel.Β Congrats on your dry sand silver half. πŸ‘πŸΌΒ I vaguelyΒ remember your username from years ago (maybe on a different forum ??....it’s been a while). I hunt mostly turf, Β and detected my local beaches for many a year south of you.

HH,
Dan

Dan,

I've followed your Equinox comments here.

It would sure be a pleasure to have a hunt with you on one of our local parks.

Mitchel

• Like 1

I went back to the same general area yesterday and dug junk and a few coins.

IMG_20210421_205834_871.thumb.jpg.1ea42a6485cc2956d7de0def90765be7.jpg

This is what the spread out results look like.Β  There are lots of old style pop tops.

IMG_20210421_212451_735.thumb.jpg.fbcec419e903d309fc3c1abaebfaf61c.jpg

Β 

While digging I noticed one silver quarter and later when I was sorting I found another one as well as a silver nickel.Β  Out of all of the pennies only 4 are wheaties.Β  The good stuff is all from the 40s.

IMG_20210421_212519_223.thumb.jpg.dc0c15e0ed1fd7b305bd639e3cd212e4.jpg

• Like 7