Light Finds Day For Me (coins, Relics)

I’m waiting patiently to see what the intel brings.  

• Like 2

Do as much research as you can on that Horse Race track to unlock that site .If you can find the hot spots thy should be very good producers, Aerial photos may help along with existing or past roadways. Try to figure out how it was laid out; entries & exits, grand stand, parking & concession areas. Don't overlook the less public areas. There was lots of non respectable activity going on also. Official bets were paid in hard money and it got spent often at the same site.

I have been hunting half of a never detected half mile oval track from the late 1880's to mid 1920's for the past two years. Lots of quiet ground with small to mid size areas of concentrated targets. Race tracks were all out roaring spots in their day. Mine even has an out of the way corner where the working girls resided. Some very interesting finds to be made.

• Like 3

Very interesting finds, and you just keep them coming from your fields that you hunt.

Good luck on your next outing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JCR said:

Do as much research as you can on that Horse Race track to unlock that site .If you can find the hot spots thy should be very good producers, Aerial photos may help along with existing or past roadways. Try to figure out how it was laid out; entries & exits, grand stand, parking & concession areas. Don't overlook the less public areas. There was lots of non respectable activity going on also. Official bets were paid in hard money and it got spent often at the same site.

I have been hunting half of a never detected half mile oval track from the late 1880's to mid 1920's for the past two years. Lots of quiet ground with small to mid size areas of concentrated targets. Race tracks were all out roaring spots in their day. Mine even has an out of the way corner where the working girls resided. Some very interesting finds to be made.

I've been using every resource I can, but sadly most is word of mouth. I've yet to hit the county records. There is almost no history of this area in print, and much was lost in a courthouse fire.

What I do have is historicaerials.com which led me to 3 farmhouses and some great  finds. The oldest photos are from 1967. They do show the old fence and hedgerow where the track was. It was a straight track by all recollection. Some of the latest Intel was there was a training field. 

Saddest part is that the surrounding buildings and house were hit hard by a person who spent 3 weeks there without real permission and claimed nothing was found. The silver lining is that the field (and the track) was planted during the time the person was there, so I have a chance to find a few things. The spectacle buckle proves that.

I am grateful to the farmers who have owned this spot since the 1940s. They are helping me any way they can with no expectations, and may let me visit other property they own.

Sounds like you have a great place of your own!

• Like 2

How do you find fields that are groomed so nicely? Corn stocks here are usually a foot tall and there is crap all over the place, yours looks like a putting green compared to the crap we get hahah.

You should do good there especially when you figure out where people gathered. Original stables still there?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kac said:

How do you find fields that are groomed so nicely? Corn stocks here are usually a foot tall and there is crap all over the place, yours looks like a putting green compared to the crap we get hahah.

You should do good there especially when you figure out where people gathered. Original stables still there?

Last year it was soybeans. They have a couple of brand new combines, so it was the perfect storm for me! I just started in August and got permission in November the day I finished my yard. Really a lucky coincidence. I have over 400 acres to hunt right outside my front door.

This year it will be corn. 😵 I have a week to find the gathering places if they haven't already been bled dry by the previous detectorist.

They pushed all the buildings into the ravines sometime between 1967 and now, unfortunately the ravines are ridiculously steep and would be hard to hunt.

• Like 1

Try hunting the path the bulldozer followed pushing to the ravine. Small items probably dropped out along the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

There is almost no history of this area in print,...

No newspapers (photorecorded) at the local/county library?  What about the state library and any historical societies (county, state)?  You may be able to get info via phone or e-mail without having to visit in person.

I watched a PBS show the other night (I think it was Independent Lens) about L. Frank Baum who wrote The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.  Among his many (failed) endeavors was editing and writing for a newspaper in Aberdeen, Dakota Territories (now SD) in the late 1880's.  According to Wikipedia (linked above) the population of Aberdeen at the time was ~3000.  His newspaper was competing with nine others at the time!  Hard to fathom today how important and popular newspapers used to be.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

No newspapers (photorecorded) at the local/county library?  What about the state library and any historical societies (county, state)?  You may be able to get info via phone or e-mail without having to visit in person.

I watched a PBS show the other night (I think it was Independent Lens) about L. Frank Baum who wrote The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.  Among his many (failed) endeavors was editing and writing for a newspaper in Aberdeen, Dakota Territories (now SD) in the late 1880's.  According to Wikipedia (linked above) the population of Aberdeen at the time was ~3000.  His newspaper was competing with nine others at the time!  Hard to fathom today how important and popular newspapers used to be.

I've got some info from the state library, it's difficult to navigate. I'll be avoiding Historical societies except in my will. 😀 Everyone knows everyone here so even a visit to the county records is a problem. This is all to respect the privacy of the property owners, some of whom have asked me not to get others involved locally.

• Like 1