I purchased the new Viper coil for my AT Max and have run it thru my Test garden. I think it will do just what I had hoped; a little deeper than the excellent 5x8 with near matching separation coupled with the ground coverage of the stock 8.5X11. Very stable & sensitive.

• Like 2

For a deeper coil the Mars Tiger is really stable and very emi resistant. Worth looking into. It is a bit heavier than the stock 8 1/2 x 11. Not sure why people don't talk much.

Your viper should work really good in woods and tight spaces, best of luck with it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Dances With Doves
      With all the talk of Minelab dominating the prospecting part of metal detecting lately   how often has any one used a Garrett for gold prospecting in the last  few  years?  
    • By B0SC0
      Is it me, or am I missing something here.
      How do you tell how much battery capacity there is?
      I believe somewhere I was reading about the universal  Z-link  module led will blink with 3 hours left.
      Is this true for the headphones?
      If so, that would drive me crazy not knowing the level until then.
      Scenario: Leave the house to detect 6-8 hours or more, hour into the hunt led flashes, meaning only 3 hours left,  for a total of only 4 hours.
      This will cause me to recharge the headphones before every hunt. Even iIf they didn't really need it.
      Probably shorten battery life, too.
      If this is the case, maybe Garrett needs to add a battery level meter on the headphones or wireless to the AT MAX with an icon showing the level on the display.
      Your thoughts?
    • By GB_Amateur
      As always I look forward to your review (if you get one of these new coils).  And you're the first person here that I can remember in a long time (since Steve's review) saying something good about the AT/Gold.  👍

• By N7XW
      Hello Detector Prospector forum!  I've been inactive in detecting for quite some time and am now getting back at it.  I've used this forum in the past and received great advice so I'm back for more. 
      I'd like to detect the national forest for gold particularly in the rivers and areas of exposed bedrock.  I currently have an AT Pro with multiple coils (among other machines but none are dedicated gold detectors).  I'm thinking of using the 5x8 and sniper coil.  I don't foresee spending a great deal of my time gold detecting, particularly due to the distance I would have to travel and lower chance of success as compared to coin detecting.  So, given this situation, my question is this - do you think I would be much better served by buying a dedicated gold machine?  I was thinking the AT Gold due to river detecting (waterproof).  But would the AT Pro do "almost" as well on gold?  Loaded question, I know.  How much difference does 3 kHz make in detecting small gold?  I'm going to do a little testing on small lead fragments to get an idea as to how small of a nugget the Pro will pick up.
      Thanks in advance!

• By GB_Amateur
      I watch a lot of adventure shows on cable TV and this past Sunday evening Discovery Channel had a 2 hour long one titled "Everest's Greatest Mystery".
      To set the background for this post, in 1924 two British climbers (one quite experienced -- George Mallory, and a novice climber -- Andrew Irvine) disappeared from the view of others (below) within a few hundred meters of the summit, never to be heard from again.  It took 29 years until Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay accomplished and documented the supposed first human conquest of the summit, but questions remained.  Did Mallory and Irvine actually reach the summit and succumb in their descent?  In 1999 an expedition went to find Irvine, who carried the camera for the 1924 attempt, to hopefully determine if his photos would show that they reached the top.  That expedition ironically failed to find Irvine's body, but Mallory's instead.
      Four experienced (each with multiple Everest trips) climbers from the USA were filmed in a spring 2019 expedition for this program.  Their goal once again was to find Irvine and his camera.  The weather in 2019 was particularly bad (12 climbers perished) and they spent over a month at base camp (17,000 ft = 5200 m) or above.  Their ultimate trip lasted 3 consecutive days above 27,000 ft (8200 m), apparently shattering a record for most time consecutively at or above that altitude on Everest.  Although they carried supplemental oxygen, for most of that time they had to conserve it and breathe the 33% (relative to sea level) dense air.  At night the temperatures dipped to -20 F (-29 C) and although I don't recall the daytime temps I doubt they were much above 0 F (-18 C).  Those are air temps, not windchills.  (BTW, their high camps were set up by local guides who departed as soon as their task was complete.)
      I noticed a metal detector in the backpack of one of the expedition members, and he carried it all three days they searched near the summit.  That's pretty amazing when you consider the conditions:
      1) With so little oxygen, weight is critical.  Even carrying an extra pound matters a lot;
      2) At these temperatures I'm surprised a metal detector will even function;
      3) The setup and operation had to be simple and any searching looking for just metal signal or not.  The brain doesn't work well with low oxygen.
      As it turns out I never saw the detector being used, and I doubt it was.  The climbers wore ice crampons but much of the terrain was windblown and thus rocky, not icy.  Movement had to be delicate and anything held/carried in hand made it that much more dangerous.  Also, without snow/ice cover there was nowhere for metal to hide.  But that didn't stop the climber with the detector to bring it along every one of the three days they searched.  He had to have considered it quite important.
      Oh, you may be wondering which detector he had with him:  Garrett AT/Pro.